Feeling really fat

Options
I saw some pictures of me sitting down tonight looking fat. In a year I have gone from 9 to 11 stone. I'm 163cm tall aka 5'4. I feel like going without food but because of my anxiety I know I couldn't do that. I love food so much and wish I could eat what I wanted but cannot. I'm embarrassed and ashamed of letting myself go and worried other people may know I have gotten fat. I need your help deciding how many calories for me to eat to lose a pound per week at least or more please because half a pound is 1570 and half a pound a week is too slow for me.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are not all that overweight. One pound per week, max, would be reasonable. Set your MFP goal for that.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If half a pound per week is 1570 then one pound per week will be 1320. Don't go any lower than that.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Well I'm 11 stone 5 and it shows
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I saw some pictures of me sitting down tonight looking fat. In a year I have gone from 9 to 11 stone. I'm 163cm tall aka 5'4. I feel like going without food but because of my anxiety I know I couldn't do that. I love food so much and wish I could eat what I wanted but cannot. I'm embarrassed and ashamed of letting myself go and worried other people may know I have gotten fat. I need your help deciding how many calories for me to eat to lose a pound per week at least or more please because half a pound is 1570 and half a pound a week is too slow for me.

Well you've put on 28lbs in 12 months, that's not a small amount you've been eating 1750 more calories a week than you should ...you just need to stop doing that

Well done for realising ..start calorie counting and reduce at the same rate

Move more to eat more
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Yeah I started just eating a lot of crap last Christmas never really stopped.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I saw some pictures of me sitting down tonight looking fat.
    We all look fat sitting down :#

In a year I have gone from 9 to 11 stone. I'm 163cm tall aka 5'4.
    You are barely overweight, but I understand. Normal weight feels a lot better.

I feel like going without food but because of my anxiety I know I couldn't do that.
    Don't try to not eat on any account.

I love food so much and wish I could eat what I wanted but cannot.
    We all love food. You can eat what you want, but you can't eat in unlimited amounts.

I'm embarrassed and ashamed of letting myself go and worried other people may know I have gotten fat.
    Focus on yourself, not what other people may or may not think about you.

I need your help deciding how many calories for me to eat to lose a pound per week at least or more please because half a pound is 1570 and half a pound a week is too slow for me.
    To lose a pound per week, take your TDEE and subtract 500 calories. But the most important thing is that you stick to a calorie deficit. This means that you have to eat enough, and eat food you like, and don't force yourself to eat food you don't like, or exhaust yourself exercising.
  • nishndn
    nishndn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Me too in same situation.. 163cm height I was 165lbs one year ago.. Now still at 152lb... I need to go for 132lbs.. I'm struggling... As I have undergone renal transplanted 4yrs ago... So I must go to that weight as I'm on immune suppersion .. Specially prednisolne..
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It took you a year to get "fat" - don't expect to undo a year of serious over-eating in a short time period.
  • nishndn
    nishndn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    And I was 187lbs 4yrs ago..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First, your perception of yourself will never be the same perception of what others think. Meaning we are almost always more critical of ourselves. Secondly, you are embarrassed and ashamed and worried what others will think..stop that. This is just negative internal noise and stress you are putting on yourself.

No need to go faster, quicker.. but if you must, shave off 250 more calories.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    I can hear how down you are in your post. Listen, all of us have bad pictures taken where we look fat, it could be you being sensitive, a really bad photo..and the fact that when sitting down, if you're not using good posture..you can look way worse than you really do. If anything work on your posture when you sit.. stay on this site and start your journey to lose the weight you've gained over the last year.
    You simply have to start.. that is why so many of us call it a journey... just set a reasonable goal on mfp ...stick to your calories.. then add exercise.. then start improving your diet as you go along..meaning healthy choices.

It doesn't happen all at once .. just take the first step. And cheer up...you have friends here who are all in the same boat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

You should not be trying to lose more than 1 lb a week at your size.
    Starving yourself is not necessary to lose weight. You can eat foods you want just in appropriate portion sizes.
    Prelogging my food helped me eat what I want and meet my goals. You might try that.
    If 1570 calories gives you a .5 lb loss then 1320 should give you 1 lb per week. Don't go below 1200.

• kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the posters here. Also, I would try to incorporate some kind of exercise into ur routine ASAP. Even a small amount, not just for the weight benefits, but also the mental benefits. When I go off on a food binge and finally rope myself back in, the first step is getting out and walking. Within a few days of doing that, even though I haven't really lost much weight yet, I feel so much better about myself and my body. It really helps me mentally prepare to eat better and start taking care of myself. Good luck!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You haven't 'let yourself go'. And it saddens me to see how critical and hard your are on yourself.
    I know how mortifying it feels to learn you have gained weight - but once the shock of it has sunk in, you'll realise that you haven't failed, you haven't offended anyone, you haven't changed as a person - you are still you and there are so much worse things in life than a little bit of weight gain. You can most certainly lose the unwanted pounds - but really you must love what you are about first and foremost. Your worth is not dependent on what the scale shows you.