grocery shopping

Options
JMCade
JMCade Posts: 389 Member
Okay today is my good ole Wal-mart day. I need some new ideas! I'm getting bored with everything I have. :yawn: You can view my food diary. Suggestions please?!?!?!?!?:smile:

Replies

• LaurenRose19
    Options
    My Aunt was telling me about this really good grain called Quinwa (i think thats how you spell it :/) but anyways she said its really good if you wilt spinach or something on top of it and add nuts and such to it I haven't tried it yet but I'm buying it today when i go shopping to try it out. You can find it at like a whole foods store or the organic section of your supermarket.... and of course you can look up new healthy recipes online to get ideas too :D Cooking Light is a great cookbook/website :D
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I believe it is Quinoa... and it is delicious!
  • JMCade
    Options
    I actually have tried quinoa, but the family didn't like it too much :(. I added chicken broth to it and just boiled it. It didn't have much flavor. Maybe I'll try adding stuff init like you suggested though. Thanks!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Try the chicken sausage....a little, actually a lot, high in sodium but a nice hot dog alternative. :smile:
  • grammymelPolly
    Options
    For Breakfast I get WalMart frozen round pancakes 3 is one serving, but I eat only one and have sugar free syrup on it. Or Canadian bacon you can have 3 slices for 90 cal. and I use liquid egg 40 cal. and Thomas English muffin 120 cal. Or english muffin with laughing cheese spread on it total 155 cal. English muffin with sugar free jam and spread thin with peanut butter about 160 cal.

Lunch I have Mexican Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and put in a soft taco warned wrap chicken and add small sald. Then I have a recipe for a Southern Pie with hamburger meat, green chilies, mushrooms and cottage cheese 1 slice is 174 cal. and I add steamed vegetables. I also have plenty of recipes I would be glad to send you each make 6 - 8 serviing and I freeze the rest in single portions so I can reach in and get a good meal and stay out of the chips and cookies.

I see you have small kids and my great grandchildren like this as much as I do. Take 2 graham crackers squares spread thin layer of Nutella on one and the other spread thin layer of peanut butter and put a drop of fat free cool whip on one side and put them in the freezer. It taste like a ice cream sandwich and has about 90 calories if everything is spread thin. I make several at a time because my husband like them too. Then you and the kids can have a treat at the same time. If you would like any of the recipes just send me a message.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly looking for meals that the kids will like, and where I can make mine lower calorie than theres.

English muffin pizzas (whole wheat english muffins, 2% cheese and lots of veggies for yours, real cheese for the kids).
    Black bean quesadillas (whole wheat tortilla for you,2% cheese)
    Grilled chicken breast, topped with BBQ sauce, hormel real bacon pieces, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes.
    Red beans and rice (I buy the lower sodium Zatarains) with chicken or turkey smoked sausage. (I like the Hillshire Farm Hardwood smoked Chicken sausage).
  • JMCade
    Options
    For Breakfast I get WalMart frozen round pancakes 3 is one serving, but I eat only one and have sugar free syrup on it. Or Canadian bacon you can have 3 slices for 90 cal. and I use liquid egg 40 cal. and Thomas English muffin 120 cal. Or english muffin with laughing cheese spread on it total 155 cal. English muffin with sugar free jam and spread thin with peanut butter about 160 cal.

Lunch I have Mexican Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and put in a soft taco warned wrap chicken and add small sald. Then I have a recipe for a Southern Pie with hamburger meat, green chilies, mushrooms and cottage cheese 1 slice is 174 cal. and I add steamed vegetables. I also have plenty of recipes I would be glad to send you each make 6 - 8 serviing and I freeze the rest in single portions so I can reach in and get a good meal and stay out of the chips and cookies.

I see you have small kids and my great grandchildren like this as much as I do. Take 2 graham crackers squares spread thin layer of Nutella on one and the other spread thin layer of peanut butter and put a drop of fat free cool whip on one side and put them in the freezer. It taste like a ice cream sandwich and has about 90 calories if everything is spread thin. I make several at a time because my husband like them too. Then you and the kids can have a treat at the same time. If you would like any of the recipes just send me a message.
    Thank you so much for all the really great ideas!
  • JMCade
    Options
    I'm constantly looking for meals that the kids will like, and where I can make mine lower calorie than theres.

English muffin pizzas (whole wheat english muffins, 2% cheese and lots of veggies for yours, real cheese for the kids).
    Black bean quesadillas (whole wheat tortilla for you,2% cheese)
    Grilled chicken breast, topped with BBQ sauce, hormel real bacon pieces, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes.
    Red beans and rice (I buy the lower sodium Zatarains) with chicken or turkey smoked sausage. (I like the Hillshire Farm Hardwood smoked Chicken sausage).
    Thanks for the ideas! These sound terrific!