New scale shows a higher number - why I'm taking the hit

Options
So I knew that my scale was not really accurate. I would step on, get one number, then step off and right back on and get a totally different number. I would do this several times in a row and the numbers varied wildly - up to a 4 pound swing, every day. I always took the middle number, figuring that as long as I was being consistent, I would be tracking my progress.

But after a couple of months of the fluctuating numbers, it started to get to me. I'm very rigorous about the math of this process - calories in/calories out, percentages of nutrients, average weight loss needed per week to achieve certain goals along the way... So the fact that I knew that I had a number in my equations that wasn't reliably accurate... No good.

And so I ordered a new scale, researched and chosen for its consistency and accuracy. And, as I expected, my true weight is higher than the "averages" from my old scale. To the tune of 4.2 pounds.

Now, originally I decided that I wouldn't mark it as a gain, and I'd just take a couple of weeks to lose it and then I'd be "caught up" with my MFP weight. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the problem with that. First, that it's not being accountable for the reality of the situation. I don't want to lie to myself about my weight anymore, even if in a small way. And second, that I would be cheating myself out of the accomplishment of losing those 4.2 pounds. I work very hard for every loss, and I want to see that ticker move and show the results of that hard work.

So I went into all of my previous weights in MFP, from my start date through my most recent weigh in, and edited them to be 4.2 pounds higher, so now my current weight in MFP is accurate, and my ticker shows my true progress.

And speaking of that ticker, I added another 3 pound loss to it this morning, and I know it's accurate. :)

Replies

• SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I understand how scales can differ in weight...I have 2 myself that differ from 2-3 pounds. However I used 2, 5 pound weights to measure and my cheap Sun Beam scale was more accurate than my digital. Either way I know I'm losing the weight but also by inches! :) Great Job on your progress :happy:
  • gumbykevbo
    gumbykevbo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I finally got back to the number I had reached the last time I tried to lose my spare tire. But there was clearly a scale problem, because I know that number didn't feel nearly as fat as I still am, and if anything I am in far better condition now. I used a certified scale at work, which indicated I was wearing about 30 lbs of clothes! Even as tall as I am, and with steel toed boots, that just couldn't be right. So it was time for a new scale. I used a 20% off coupon at bed, bath & beyond and got a WW78 with all the body fat gee-haws for under $25. (yes, I know the body fat measurements of such scales are crude, and not to be relied upon)

Turns out that my old scale had become about 17# optimistic. Many thanks to the OP for the suggestion of editing the older weights upward...but note that can't be done on the iPhone app, but only online.

This business needs a posative attitude, and giving back 17# of progress doesn't work toward that. Much easier to accept that I had been a lot heavier than I knew at the beginning. I am now at about the same place I started from when I tried to lose weight 5 years ago, and that pretty well matches with my current Panza.

last time I was skipping meals and really cutting back, and lost a lot of weight that came back soon after I inevitably lost the fight with my willpower. This time I am doing it right: Exercise, sensible eating, and gradual loss. I am also now tracking calories for the first time...not nearly as hard as I thought!
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    this is my exact fear my scales had well a mental break down and are now useless so getting new ones on wednesday but i can see myself getting so down if ive not lost , hope your new scales dont mess up good luck with ur weight loss