Flat-footed Runners?

Options
So, I want to be a runner, but I'm completely flat-footed*. Before I really get into running (I just walk now, jogging just a bit) I want to buy new shoes. Any other flat-footed runners out there? Do your shoes have an arch? Low arch? Anyt tips or hints?

(* or maybe it's just a really low arch--should I post a pic? LOL)

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The best option is to go to a speciality shop and have your gait analyzed, they can then recommend the right shoes for you. Make sure you try to run in the shoes for a little bit before you purchase.

Happy Running.
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey, congrats on getting into running. I have flat feet and found that motion-control shoes work best for me. The best route I could suggest for you is to go to a running store and have them watch you walk (or preferably run) so they can determine which type of shoe you need based on if you pronate or supinate etc. There is also stability style shoes that I have worn and they seemed ok but I still like my Brooks Addiction best. The only knock on motion control shoes that I have is that they are heavier than most other types of shoes. Good Luck.
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    I am by NO means an expert in running since I run maybe 3 miles a week, but I have about as flat of feet as you can get. I am now on my third pair of the Asics Kayano whatever number they have out right now.. I think it's 17 at the moment. They will run you $140, but are definitely worth the money. They are so comfortable whether you're walking, running, elliptical, working.. I love them! I have found that Nike's are not good for arch support, but I buy them anyways because they're cute :P Hope this helped at least a little..?
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is go to a running store and get a recommendation. They will do a gait analysis on a treadmill and record/watch how you walk and jog. Its no big deal and only takes a few minutes. This will tell you the type of shoes to buy and help you get fitted. You don't necessarily have to buy a really expensive pair of shoes, rather you just need to find out what type of shoe you need and then you can shop around for the right shoe for you.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Lots of good information here. Looks like the thing to do is get to a running store. Only problem is I live in Korea and my Korean has not progress to that point. Not sure if I can mime my way through all of that.

In the meanwhile, I'll be reading up on running and different types of shoes. So much more to running than I realized!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    So, I want to be a runner, but I'm completely flat-footed*. Before I really get into running (I just walk now, jogging just a bit) I want to buy new shoes. Any other flat-footed runners out there? Do your shoes have an arch? Low arch? Anyt tips or hints?

One word: Asics.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet (not fallen arches). I prefer minimalist shoes or shoes with very little arch support. I get pain from any shoes with a lot of arch support.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I would consider going to a physical therapist for a gait analysis.

Often flat feet are caused by muscle weakness/imbalance in the hips or other parts of the body. Sample article:
    http://www.rebalancept.com/physical-therapy/Your-Flat-Feet-Might-Be-the-Sign-of-a-Weak-Hip/subpage91.html

If this is the case, at best all the person a shoe store will do is sell you a shoe that might act like a crutch and maybe mask the problem instead of giving ways to fix it.

Good luck.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

There are all kinds of runners, flat footed or really high arched like me. Best advise I'd give to anyone is to go to a specialized running store or a therapist and have a gait analysis. That's the best way to determine which shoes will be the best choice for you. :smile:
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    fastbelly wrote: »
    The best option is to go to a speciality shop and have your gait analyzed, they can then recommend the right shoes for you. Make sure you try to run in the shoes for a little bit before you purchase.

Happy Running.

This times 100! I have flat feet too and tried running several times, but would have horrible pain in my arches and shins. I finally went to a local running store and got fitted. I also found out they have training programs and signed up for a 10-week 5k training program and met some great running buddies. This was 4 years ago and I've been running ever since.

Best of luck!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet (not fallen arches). I prefer minimalist shoes or shoes with very little arch support. I get pain from any shoes with a lot of arch support.

Same here. Flat feet, flexible arches, do not overpronate, feel best in minimalist shoes. Feet feel good barefoot.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Tough Mudder this weekend. I have been worried about what shoes to wear as they will be destroyed. But I have finally decided not to scrimp on shoes. I'm wearing my best running shoes despite knowing they will be trashed. I'd rather lose out on a good pair of Asics than to destroy my feet/knees.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Tough Mudder this weekend. I have been worried about what shoes to wear as they will be destroyed. But I have finally decided not to scrimp on shoes. I'm wearing my best running shoes despite knowing they will be trashed. I'd rather lose out on a good pair of Asics than to destroy my feet/knees.

And I'm going Friday to purchase another pair of running shoes at the running store and have them analyze my gait again.
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Being flatfooted is not the only reason for having problems when running. Best runners in the world are of african origin and black people are flat footed. That's how they are built.
    If you have problems when running, majority of the time is a training error, running style, bad foottwear and poor biomechanics or a combination.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I've got really flat feet too. I bought my shoes at a running store, had my gait analyzed, tried on 3 to 4 pairs of shoes and picked the most comfortable. They've worked so far!!

When I got my ski boots, I had issues with comfort. I took them to the ski store because the soft part could be heated and moulded to my foot, but takes a few hours. The boot guy was able to fix my problem with changing out the insoles and replacing with one designed for those with flat feet. $10 fix and I didn't have to be there for hours.

Anyway, if your shoes are still uncomfortable, you should be able to replace the insoles if absolutely necessary.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,616 Member
    Options
    I like my mizuno wave inspire. Light stability shoe...
  • cammaxton
    cammaxton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'd have to get a gait analysis done to really get the best out of it. No way round it I'm afraid :)

Congrats on starting running!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I would consider going to a physical therapist for a gait analysis.

Often flat feet are caused by muscle weakness/imbalance in the hips or other parts of the body. Sample article:
    http://www.rebalancept.com/physical-therapy/Your-Flat-Feet-Might-Be-the-Sign-of-a-Weak-Hip/subpage91.html

If this is the case, at best all the person a shoe store will do is sell you a shoe that might act like a crutch and maybe mask the problem instead of giving ways to fix it.

Good luck.

Interesting. I have never heard that before. I've had flat feet all my life, was a gymnast and did karate for years. I don't think weak hips is my problem. :smile:

OP, I wear a neutral, regular running shoe and have flat feet. I don't know that how high or non-existent your arches are determines whether you need stability shoes or not. I'll also recommend getting fitted.