Gait analysis. What to expect?

Options
Bought some running shoes from a running store six moths back. One that was reccomend and had pretty good ratings. Three members of staff on who all seemed reluctant to serve me as we're chatting to someone else.
When one did finally come over explained I was new runner, to which he asked had I had a gait analysis done? I hadn't to which he said ok take off your shoes. He looked at my feet then said oh yes you need these. Handed me pair of shoes which seemd comfy walking couple of steps in shop. As soon as i tried going back to running I had constant problems with ankles and lower calves.
I assumed it was down to me.being rubbish. Even though i had taken it slowly to wear them in. However have since found two other people been sold the same shoes and also had problems. Both have felt the shop failed to do analysis properly, though one of them they did get to run on treadmill for 5.minutes. ( more than they did with me as didn't see me running at all.)
Just curious for next time and a different shop, what should I expect if I have a gait analysis done? The actual shoes have had high ratings so it's not like they are fobbing off junk, though suppose it's possible I got an iffy pair.

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Everyone is different. The best shoe for me isn't necessarily going to work for the next person, sale people usually don't care. A sale is a sale. Never visit that place again.

I suspect the shoe you were sold had a different drop from the ones you were use to or needed. The new drop should be introduced gradually. It takes time to develop that feel for the right shoe.

How to fix it? Stick with similar shoes, neutral, stability, or pronation. Decide what cushion level you like. Then research the shoes. I think roadrunner.com has an online tool that should narrow down the choices.

I think that gait analysis at shoe store is a gimmick. A true gait analysis will cost 150-500usd and isn't a shoe recommendation.

See here. http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/06/training/should-you-invest-in-a-gait-analysis_78607

Good luck. Hope you enjoy your running (in new shoes)!

Edit

Midsole drop
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/learningcenter/stackheights.html

And pronation
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/pronation
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Have no objection for paying for it ton be done. However whole experience made me feel like I was being fobbed off so he could get back to his mates alough they had tread mill there didnt ask for me to try it. In fact disn't evenue see me walk unless he watched me when i entered.
    Going to be shopping in nearby City for.new shoes soon. So just want next pair to be righ as don't want to be throwing away £100 a time.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Have no objection for paying for it ton be done. However whole experience made me feel like I was being fobbed off so he could get back to his mates alough they had tread mill there didnt ask for me to try it. In fact disn't evenue see me walk unless he watched me when i entered.
    Going to be shopping in nearby City for.new shoes soon. So just want next pair to be righ as don't want to be throwing away £100 a time.

I've had the same experience. The popular shoe doesn't work for me. There are some sites/brands that have an excellent return policy, 90 days. Brooks is one, and roadrunner.com. I'm not sure their out of states policies. There is bound to be options out there. No reason not to buy last year's models either.
  • playmadcats
    Options
    Thanks all. I have been presuming it was just me, until my pt told me she had been sold the same shoes by the same place, then another friend who classes himself as a seasonal runner ( doesn't like cold or wet weather) was also sold the same. In fact it was wearing them as casual shoes to the gym after I decided I couldn't run in them, that caused my pt to ask if I had had problems, as she had. Then it came out they came from same place.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I had it done, I first filled out a form that asked me about such things as what my fitness goals were (need different shoes for running on trails vs. pavement, etc.), any fitness related injuries past or present (shin splits, plantar fasciitis, etc. can all be affected by shoes), my weight (some shoes might wear too fast or not provide the intended support with a higher weight), etc.

They had me run on the treadmill and the computer analyzed my gait.

They had me stand barefoot to check my arch.

Based on all the above, they showed me three pairs that best seemed to meet my needs, and from there I chose the ones that were most comfortable feeling.

I had an experience more like what OP described with the pair before those (different store), and not surprisingly those shoes did not work as well (pretty sure in hindsight the guy just fobbed the most popular ones on me).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have yet to have a store recommend a particular shoe. In the few times I've had it done I always have the store provide several shoes that are right for me. I then get to run in them and decide. Even when I get shoes now and pretty much know what I want I still get the same treatment (no analysis but always get to try the shoes first).

I suggest you find a new store. Good luck.
  • playmadcats
    Options
    Thank you. Am certainly looking at somewhere else.
    What irks me is seems to be the store a lot of people recommend. Maybe they just want experienced runners or people they think they will see regular. However not doing themselves any favours if they are trying to get rid of anyone starting out, or who isn't local. I'm sure they do get lots of new runners that never return, but am now wonderin how many don't return due to injury, or poor service.
    The guy who they were all busy talking too had several pairs around him. So does seem they treat their regulars or mates differently.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Am certainly looking at somewhere else.
    What irks me is seems to be the store a lot of people recommend. Maybe they just want experienced runners or people they think they will see regular. However not doing themselves any favours if they are trying to get rid of anyone starting out, or who isn't local. I'm sure they do get lots of new runners that never return, but am now wonderin how many don't return due to injury, or poor service.
    The guy who they were all busy talking too had several pairs around him. So does seem they treat their regulars or mates differently.

Very shortsighted on their part......new customers when treated properly become regulars. Have you tried contacting the owner of the shop? He or she may actually be very interested to hear how shabbily you were treated.

As a business owner myself I would want to know if one (or more) of my employees was not treating people with the courtesy and respect they are entitled to expect.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Gait analysis and shoe fitting by even reputable running stores is not scientific or fail proof. The first time I was fitted, the sales person observed me walking on a treadmill and videoed it, said I had slight pronation. I started having hip pain about 2 months after being fitted, but never associated with the shoes because it was not immediate. When I replaced those shoes , another brand, at the same store, my gait was not reevaluated. Shortly after I got the shoes, my hip pain increased significantly. I noticed that when I wasn't wearing these shoes it was much less. After about 3 weeks I took them back. The rep evaluated my gait, said I had slight pronation, but explained that these shoes overcorrected way too much for the amount I had. After much searching, because they have low inventory in my size, he put me a neutral shoe with a slip in orthotic. My pain lessened immediately and disappeared completely within a few weeks. I now think the first rep gave me a slight overcorrection for the pronation. The second rep saw I had pronation correction shoes so looked for another shoe in my size that also corrected for pronation, and ended up with one that overcorrected to the extreme. From now on, I will insist on a neutral shoe regardless of what they think. The problem is, you can't tell everything you need to know about a pair of shoes by trying them on for a few minutes, even if you can go run around the block.

The same day I got the 3rd shoe, I had visited another store first. That store evaluated my arch on an electronic pad and said high arches. When I went to the store where I purchased all the shoes, they evaluated my arch with a manual pressure sensitive pad (heat sensitive type I think), and it said I had normal to low arches. Same day, 1 hour apart. Go figure. My husband said he trusts the manual pressure pad more than the electronic one.

PS I got a full refund on the 2nd pair of shoes.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If there is a running club in your area, check around and find out a physical therapist that works with runners and does gait analysis. I got one via a deal through the club, believe it was $75 and included 2 sessions, one where I was recorded and another when I came back and got the results and recommendations.

Well worth it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The average person working in a shoe store, well-intentioned as they might be, is not qualified to perform gait analysis. They might have some insight depending on their experience, and that might be helpful, but I would not look for them to be a final authority.
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you have injuries you need to check your training first. Then your biomechanics. The only people fully qualified to do this are podiatrists and some physiotherapists. Physios can do it but that's not necessarily their specialty ( in the UK). A sales person in a running shop doesn't have the knowledge to deal with people with injuries. If they only look at your feet, they're doing it wrong. Your core, gluts, running style all should be check in a proper biomechanic assessment.
    Now, if you just want a pair of great running shoes they should "analize" your gait and recommend the best shoes for you. Always go with comfort for you, everyone is different and reviews are useless for this.
  • playmadcats
    Options
    Have just had physio appointment yesterday. Trying to sort a tendon problem at the moment. Only seen me walk but going to look closer when things are sorted. Will be putting off shoe shopping until then. Plus defo looking around.