Substitutions to lower calories or increase nutrients?

Options
Hi - Lately I've been having a tough time staying under my caloric goals. I try to up my activity to eat more, but I'm looking for suggestions on substitutions. Some things I do already are:

Kale chips instead of potato chips
Parmesan instead of cheddar or other cheeses to impart flavor to vegetables
Cauliflower rice instead of white rice
Kelp noodles instead of rice noodles

Does anyone have tips they'd be willing to share for delicious substitutions for those days when I want to eat everything in sight?

Replies

• aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash instead of actual pasta. Also, peanut butter powder instead of peanut butter
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just bought peanut butter powder! Hope i like it, do you know it tastes in overnight oats? It depends what you like eating that you need a substitute for.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi - Lately I've been having a tough time staying under my caloric goals.
    You are not supposed to go under your goal, but to hit it. If you are genuinely hungry, you may even have set a too aggressive weight loss goal. A smaller deficit will be easier to stick to, and makes it possible to eat normal food.

I try to up my activity to eat more,
    Increased activity can increase your appetite.

but I'm looking for suggestions on substitutions. Some things I do already are:

Kale chips instead of potato chips
    Parmesan instead of cheddar or other cheeses to impart flavor to vegetables
    Cauliflower rice instead of white rice
    Kelp noodles instead of rice noodles

Does anyone have tips they'd be willing to share for delicious substitutions for those days when I want to eat everything in sight?
    All those substitutions sound like slow death to me (apart from the parmesan, which I prefer to cheddar anyway). You can eat anything you like, all you have to do is watch portions, and you do that by logging correctly and hitting your calorie goal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't believe in in cauliflower rice...I mean I know it exists and it tastes nice but it is not a substitute for rice in texture, use or satiety

Instead what I do is measure out 100g boiled basmati which is just around 100 calories to eat under whatever dish (casserole or stew) I'm enjoying and the pop that all on top of a bag of mixed leaves (my personal go to mix is watercress, spinach and rocket- arugula) .

.that increases the amount of food I consume and is delicious and adds to all kinds of dishes (my regulars are chicken cacciatore, meditteranean vegetable stew and cheese, pulled pork and chorizo stew, beef chilli or butternut squash risotto, clearly the last one doesn't have the extra rice)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Also in terms of cheese, don't incorporate it

Get a big slab of a strong cheese like extra mature cheddar, grate (shred) it and put in the fridge in a Tupperware

Sprinkle 5-10g on the top of whatever dish needs cheese ...it is enough because it hits your palette first and is around 20-40 calories

I use 5g on top of scrambled egg white with veg on toast, and 10g on top of veg stews / bolognese type dishes
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »
    I like zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash instead of actual pasta. Also, peanut butter powder instead of peanut butter
    Thanks for the suggestions! How do you use powdered peanut butter? Do you incorporate it into sauces and dressings?
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

#Sued0nim: Thanks for the ideas to pile dishes on greens and to use cheese on top rather than in a dish. Great suggestions!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't substitute anything. I just eat different foods. Substituting never works for me because it doesn't help my cravings.