Weigh veggies frozen or thawed? Which is accurate?

Options
alexastoutxo
alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So I'm a little stuck on whether Ive been measuring out veggies accurately or not. I recently weighed out some broccoli florets and the serving size says 85 grams but I weighed out 89 grams frozen. I rinsed them out a bit so they wouldn't be too frozen when I steamed them and out of curiosity I weighed them out again but this time rinsed and it ended up weighing 82 instead of the original 89 grams that I initially weighed out. I know there's not a huge difference but I just to know which is more accurate? Frozen or thawed out? The brand of broccoli florets I get are great value and the bag doesn't state whether the serving size is frozen or thawed out. it just says 1 cup (85 grams)
Anyone know the answer to this?
Also why did the weight suddenly decrease?

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Typically the nutrition facts are for the product in the state you purchased it (frozen) unless otherwise specified. The difference in vegetables frozen or thawed is so negligible (as you saw) I wouldn't even give it a second thought and just go with frozen.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you buy them frozen, weigh them frozen. :)
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The weight decreased because they lost some water weight when you thawed them. So the thawed version is more accurate, so you could weigh after cooking and log the grams. But you're right it's a small difference either way
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would weigh it thawed. Frozen has ice in it.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I would weigh it thawed. Frozen has ice in it.

The ice in frozen food is from the water that was in the fresh food before it was frozen. Thawing lets a bit of that water out as the cells relax. IMO, it's more accurate to weight before thawing.

kimadm4 wrote: »
    The weight decreased because they lost some water weight when you thawed them. So the thawed version is more accurate, so you could weigh after cooking and log the grams. But you're right it's a small difference either way

Weighing after cooking wouldn't be accurate because of water lost to cooking.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You thaw vegetables before cooking them? Doesn't the packaging say to cook from frozen? If so I think the nutritional information will be for the frozen vegetable
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    You thaw vegetables before cooking them? Doesn't the packaging say to cook from frozen? If so I think the nutritional information will be for the frozen vegetable
    I don't thaw them. I use steam-in-bag veggies and weigh them frozen while still in the bag. I then either dump them in whatever I'm cooking or microwave them.
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh them frozen
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I always measure frozen
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I'm a Meatatarian but I would go by what container they come in if frozen then frozen weight.