Fluids

LeeLynnP
LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
Am I supposed to count my gatorade and flavored water in my water consumption or is that supposed to be just water?

Replies

• Kaison02
    Kaison02 Posts: 75
    When you say flavored water, do you mean water you flavor yourself., or flavored water from the store that is carbonated?
  • LeeLynnP
    Im flavoring it with crystal light or sugar free kool aid...(myself)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    yum cool aid i wish we had that over here!
  • Kaison02
    I would go head and use that in your daily water consumption. I honestly would be hesitant to include gaterade. I could be wrong. I quit soda about a year and 5 months ago. I only drink water so, i am kinda bias :D
  • Kaison02
    yum cool aid i wish we had that over here!
    why dont you have cool aid?
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Well in reality your body can easily extract the water from all the kinds of drinks you drink, even coffee, tea, milk, things that seem like foods. You get most of your daily needs of water from foods and not water drunk directly. So I think if you want to log fluids, you might as well log it all.

But some people think if a fluid is not healthy enough they should treat it as not really "water" because real water I suppose is supposed to be healthy? But in terms of your body's actual hydration needs, it gets the water out of healthy and unhealthy drinks alike. Basically unless the water is salty (which disrupts the osmotic balance and prevents its absorbtion) or *very* sugary (same as salty) your body can get the water out of it fiinne.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    I haven't read any hard and fast rules (I doubt there are any). My general soft rule for myself is that if very little is added, it counts as a fluid (such as vitamin water, or crystal light). Obvious non-fluids include any diuretics or things that have tons of bad stuff in it :) I realize that's clear as mud but that's how I think of it.

Best,

Debbie
  • LeeLynnP
    i was just thinking that during the week i drink alot of water....and other drinks as well. but on the weekends i drink more of the flavored kind... so it looks like (on paper) that I am not getting enough fluids... just thought id ask... and thanks for the response
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I do count flavored water and Gatorade as water, but be aware that Gatorade has a lot of sodium in it. That's the purpose of it - it's basically like the Saline Drip they hook up to you at the hospital, and it's meant to replenish your sodium, sugar and water lost from exercise.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    There's basic hydration and there's the toxin flushing benefits of pure water. If you are aiming for so much water a day, then track ONLY water. But you won't get the benefits of water by drinking coffee or soda, even though they help keep you hydrated.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Hi - it's a good question. I personally don't count tea or coffee towards my water intake but I would count the cordial/kool aid mix as water. I wouldn't count the gatorade because as a few people have said - it's got quite a lot of sugar and sodium in it.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    I wouldn't count the Gatorade, teas, coffees, etc. toward my daily water totals. If I added in Crystal Light or a generic brand to water then yes, I'd count that toward my water totals.

And as another poster mentioned, Gatorade does have sodium in it (it's an electrolyte replacement for workouts) and depending on the flavor/size a decent amount of calories too.
  • Caffeinated drinks do not count as a fluid because it is a diuretic. I count any low cal/low sugar drinks toward my fluid intake. Crystal Light, Fuze Slenderize, Mio, Vitamin Water Zero, etc.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Gatorade is for anyone who has exercised greater then 2 hours or intensive water losses. Otherwise water works much better for replacement of fluids. If you flavor the water then add the calories if it has sugar in it which counts for calories.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Caffeinated drinks do not count as a fluid because it is a diuretic. I count any low cal/low sugar drinks toward my fluid intake. Crystal Light, Fuze Slenderize, Mio, Vitamin Water Zero, etc.
    But the diuretic effect of caffeine is much less significant than the total fluid intake...
  • I count water, water with Crystal Light or Mio, and Lipton unsweetened iced tea - sweetened with Spelenda. These are the items that I drink that come up as zero calories. Juice, cocoa, and other drinks I don't count as they count towards my calories.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    If powders are added then the water is turned into a flavored beverage. I would not count flavored beverages. The idea, I think, is to drink plain water.
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Flavored water using crystal light counts as water. However, Gatorade has electrolytes and other nutrients added (like sugar). Definitely put that in to count the calories and nutrients. Maybe consider it the same as a bottle of water or two. Cover it from both sides.
This discussion has been closed.