Strength Training and Cardio: Best Plan?

Options
So starting next week, I have a co-worker/friend who has a gym membership and is going to be regularly going again. She can bring a friend so I'm planning on going with her a few times a week. She told me that she will do cardio and strength training four to five times a week; start with light cardio, strength training, then finish with more intense cardio.

She seems to have a plan in mind and I'm just trying to come up with my own. I know I need to do strength training along with cardio but other than knowing I want to get on a treadmill and start running, I'm not sure where I should look for actual strength training plans or what proper mix I should do of the two so I don't injure or wear myself out.

Are there any online plans that people know of that would be easy for me to follow? Am I supposed to work different parts of my body out on different days? Should I do strength training and cardio on the same days or should I make them separate visits?

I apologize for the many questions but I'm a gym newbie and outside of my constant elliptical usage, I've never really strength trained. (Outside of my time in the Army but again, I was getting told what to do and I just followed it without really listening to what it was)

Replies

• sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you've never done strength training before, you'll want a beginners program like Strong Curves, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. They'll teach you both compound and isolation movements as well as proper form to help you build a good foundation. As for incorporating cardio, it's kind of different for everyone. Starting out, you may find that doing both on the same day is too exhausting and you may need to focus on one or the other initially. As you build up endurance, you'll be able to incorporate more of both.

I would also suggest lifting first, then going to cardio as I've found doing the reverse means I've got little left in the tank for weights which means I end up with a sub-par lifting session.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would agree with sceleratis, Starting Strength is a great place to start. I'm a big fan of strength training. you can do some conditioning work AFTER you do your lifting. For your strength work focus on the basic, push, pull, lift. Find something you like. there are a BAZILLION plans out there. Find something that looks good to you, try it. Stick with it for a while. Then adjust. the biggest mistake people make is "program hopping".
  • DerrickCooper78
    Options
    I would start with a lower weight in the 10-12 rep range 3-4 sets to build stability and muscle endurance. Once you have strength in the movements and good form you can increase the weights and reduce your rep range to 8-10. If you want to build size you can go heavier in the 5-8 rep range. I wouldn't move up in weight if by the 3rd set you can't do 10 reps. For cardiovascular you can swim if they have a pool, hit the bike, or decrease time between set to 30 seconds. Try to hit more compound movements where you will build more strength and burn more calories. Hope this helps.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Strong Lifts 5x5 but have modified it by adding additional lifts into the program. I always lift first and cardio second (unless I am riding my bicycle to the gym) which makes for better lifting sessions. I run (outside) every other day and much prefer running to other forms of exercise. I also drop the weights down frequently so that I am not lifting heavy; when I start to struggle with the 5x5 routine it is time to lower the weights and work my way back up. This has worked well for me over the past several years.
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    5x5 all day.
  • DaniDoll57
    DaniDoll57 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The Strong Lifts 5x5; can I find that plan online for free or is it something I need to purchase?

The running theme here seems to be weight/strength training first and cardio second so I'm definitely going to plan on that. I think we plan on doing three days a week at the gym; Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays. And then pick two other days to just use my cheap elliptical at home or go for walks in my neighborhood. I want to be running on those Monday, Wednesday, Fridays since there will be treadmills at the gym and I'm nowhere near comfortable running outside.

(Plus I live in Minnesota- snow will be falling soon and me plus snow equals ankle injuries)
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    DaniDoll57 wrote: »
    The Strong Lifts 5x5; can I find that plan online for free or is it something I need to purchase?

The running theme here seems to be weight/strength training first and cardio second so I'm definitely going to plan on that. I think we plan on doing three days a week at the gym; Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays. And then pick two other days to just use my cheap elliptical at home or go for walks in my neighborhood. I want to be running on those Monday, Wednesday, Fridays since there will be treadmills at the gym and I'm nowhere near comfortable running outside.

(Plus I live in Minnesota- snow will be falling soon and me plus snow equals ankle injuries)

stronglifts.com/5x5/

That's the website. It's pretty comprehensive. I also believe there is a phone app, but I"m not sure if it costs anything.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do 5x5 twice a week, usually m/or m/th and my cardio in-between.