Slow metabolism?

candistyx
candistyx Posts: 547 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
You know, you don't really need to guess if you have a "slow metabolism" for your weight (larger people naturally have "faster" or perhaps a better word would be higher metabolisms because they have further round the body to pump blood and more tissue to keep fed). If you feel cold all the time, your metabolism is slower than it should be, if you also feel sluggish and tired it might be slower than it should be (very likely if you are also cold, but if you are not cold it could be that you have a normal metabolism but need more energy and your body is fighting your decision to force it to use fat not food).

It's not something that just mysteriously happens and you can't tell, you should be able to feel the difference. So if you think you're not losing because your metabolism has slowed down, ask yourself if you feel colder than you used to, because that is the big clue, metabolism produces heat, less heat is usually indicative of lower metabolic rates than ideal for body mass.

Replies

• tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    So what do you do if you have a slow metabolism? I'm always cold and tired...always have been that way even before I gained weight. Anyone have any knowledge in helping to speed up metabolism?
  • candistyx
    So what do you do if you have a slow metabolism? I'm always cold and tired...always have been that way even before I gained weight. Anyone have any knowledge in helping to speed up metabolism?

Depends what caused it. If its nutritional you have to play with your nutrients until you get a level your body is happy with. If it's because of a hormonal imbalance or a thyroid condition you need to sort that out. If it's congenital (which unfortunately, you always being like that is indicative of) then you might just have to live in the slow lane (although there's bound to be a reason even if we don't know what yet so it's worth trying out things, some herbs and things help the metabolism). One thing that is good for metabolism is always exercise, but that's going to be extra hard if you feel tired.
  • SarahDavies1105
    SarahDavies1105 Posts: 3 Member
    I have been a lot warmer than usual over the past few weeks, could this possibly due to exercise and increasing my metabolism?
  • candistyx
    I have been a lot warmer than usual over the past few weeks, could this possibly due to exercise and increasing my metabolism?
    Yes, it's likely.
    Another explanation is that fat tissue is insulating, which means the skin above it is kept cold even though the internal parts are nice and warm insulated by that fat that is keeping the heat from the skin. So if you lost a lot of fat it could be that the heat is simply getting to the surface better, but in that case you will lose more heat and your metabolism would be forced to increase to produce more heat to compensate so it actually amounts to the same thing just with cause and effect reversed.
This discussion has been closed.