Nutritionist says I'm not losing weight because I'm not eating enough GRAINS?!

Options
So I finally was able to see a nutritionist, and when I say I begged her for help, I mean it. The last four years in high school and college I've been yo-yoing between 20lbs. I would lose weight by restricting my calories to a low amount (1000-1200 cal/day and I'm 5'8") and the pounds would just come back when I tried to eat like a "normal person". My nutritionist just told me that I need to eat at least 5 servings of grains a day (and I'm usually eating 0-1), in order to help me to lose weight. I've been struggling to believe her and can't seem to find the research to back that opinion. I eat a lot of protein, fruits and veggies, and I gain weight VERY easily and have a larger body type. Im also very athletic (weight training and running and other cardio) but I've never needed grains to get energy (although I am tired a lot)... Any advice ????

Replies

• kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It might help to try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes. Maybe doing low fat and low grains or carbs is causing the low energy. A lot of people will give advice but honestly, you have to find what works for you. And not just in the short term to lose weight. You need to be able to maintain your way of eating in the long term. If you aren't eating grains then you go off the rails and gain all the weight back, it doesn't work. For me, I have to be very careful about processed carbs and sugar because my body freaks out on them. It gives me cravings and I'm ravenous soon after I eat them. I limit them and feel like it works for me long term. Good luck in your journey!!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Like pretty much everyone else said, get rid of her.

As far as calories go, first figure out what you want to do. Not having a concrete plan is pretty much guaranteeing failure. Once you've figured out what exactly you want to do, you have to put in the proper steps to get there. That means keeping track of everything; if you're not using a scale, and measuring cups you're probably off by a lot more than you think.

As far as being tired all the time, you probably need a lot more sleep. Most people say "oh I can get by on 5-6 hours" in reality, not many can. Most people don't get nearly enough sleep, and it's disastrous to well being. Try to make it a point to get 8 hours every night for a week, and you'll probably see a huge difference in how you feel!
  • dietcepheus
    dietcepheus Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What qualifications does this nutritionist have? In many countries, nutritionist isn't a protected title. Go to a registered Dietitian instead.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    So I finally was able to see a nutritionist, and when I say I begged her for help, I mean it. The last four years in high school and college I've been yo-yoing between 20lbs. I would lose weight by restricting my calories to a low amount (1000-1200 cal/day and I'm 5'8") and the pounds would just come back when I tried to eat like a "normal person". My nutritionist just told me that I need to eat at least 5 servings of grains a day (and I'm usually eating 0-1), in order to help me to lose weight. I've been struggling to believe her and can't seem to find the research to back that opinion. I eat a lot of protein, fruits and veggies, and I gain weight VERY easily and have a larger body type. Im also very athletic (weight training and running and other cardio) but I've never needed grains to get energy (although I am tired a lot)... Any advice ????

I agree with others who said fire the nutritionist. I'm an ordinary schmuck who eats almost no grains and I'm losing weight.

You lose weight because of calories, not the type of food.

You might be eating more than you think, or you are eating stuff with a lot of sodium that makes you retain water, or if you exercise a lot you might be retaining water to heal your muscles. Your calorie count looks like you aren't eating enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist is not giving you a good weight loss diet plan if she doesn't emphasize calories first and foremost. You do not need to eat 5 servings of grains to lose weight. It would not hurt your weight loss one bit to do so if the food fits your calorie goal though.
    Eat the right number of calories for your height and activity level and you will lose weight. My Fitness Pal will tell you for free how many calories to eat. If you are active you should be eating much more than the minimum. 1200 is the minimum reccomended for women, 1500 for men. If you exercise beyond your regular activity level- log it and eat a portion of those calories too.
    If you are 20 lbs or less overweight choose .5-1 lb a week. Not 2+ lbs per week.
    Healthy sustainable loss takes time. You can eat pretty normally just appropriate portion sizes for your goal. Log everything you consume as accurately as you can. A food scale is helpful to improving your accuracy. Make sure the entries from the database you choose are correct.
    Overly restricting foods and going on a very low calorie diet do not lead to sustainable weight loss.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - don't listen to the nutritionist.

How much do you currently weigh, and how much do you want to weigh?

And like others said - slow and steady wins the race. If you want to lose the weight and lose it for good you have to find a way to eat that will take the weight off and not be a struggle when you have to learn to maintain.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I wonder how she came up with that?

I think I last ate some grains in a small piece of cake in January. Before that it was probably spring of 2015. I still lost my weight, and easier than when I was eating grains (but I have insulin resistance and am carb sensitive).
  • DeadSloth
    DeadSloth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist may subscribe to the more fibre to lose fat theory. I'm linking one article here for reference that reports on a medical study of that precise theory. I have no expertise on the subject or experience to share anecdotally, but I think I might be willing to try out the suggestion to see how it works on my body and energy level - because I like grains and don't want to give them up for life.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We are the same height

What do you weigh? What's your goal?

Restricting to very low calories is going to make you crash and burn and yo yo ...we can fix that easily by eating appropriately and fueling your body

You shouldn't be tired it's a sign of inappropriate lifestyle (providing no medical issues ..I'm assuming clean bill of health, no anemia etc)

Want help? There's lots here

Ps nutritionist derp has been covered adequately let's move on to helping you fix this
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Please see a different nutritionist for a 2nd opinion.

I saw one a few years ago and have felt better following the recommendations. Mine told me about metobolic type testing. Everyone is either protein type, carb type, or mixed. That helps determine how your macros should be split to feel your best...thats it. There was no mention of specific number of servings because the macros are split as a percentage of total calories and total cals is based on age, gender, activity, weight. The number of cals is what determines weight loss or gain.

I should mention I did not see her with weight loss as the focus. I had just been diagnosed with a wheat allergy and hashimoto so I saw a nutritionist to learn about getting balanced nutrition with dietary restrictions.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

I saw one a few years ago and have felt better following the recommendations. Mine told me about metobolic type testing. Everyone is either protein type, carb type, or mixed. That helps determine how your macros should be split to feel your best...thats it. There was no mention of specific number of servings because the macros are split as a percentage of total calories and total cals is based on age, gender, activity, weight. The number of cals is what determines weight loss or gain.

I should mention I did not see her with weight loss as the focus. I had just been diagnosed with a wheat allergy and hashimoto so I saw a nutritionist to learn about getting balanced nutrition with dietary restrictions.

Glad you're feeling better, but the "metabolic type testing" is hooey of the highest order. ;)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

Glad you're feeling better, but the "metabolic type testing" is hooey of the highest order. ;)

Agree to disagree. I think there is a lot of truth to the fact that different people are healthier with different macro splits. Thats really all it is, a way of finding your macro break down.
  • Crash7676
    Crash7676 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, the Food Guide Pyramid and Myplate.gov are both outdated, but many programs still teach them.