How often do you take measurements?

Options
Currently I've been measuring my waist weekly, and since last week have lost 0.5in.

Is measuring weekly too frequent? Are there other parts of your body that you measure that are good indicators of progress even if the scale isn't moving as much?

Thanks for the help :smile:

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I don't measure my waist, I go by how clothes fit instead. I try not to get too obsessed about numbers so don't weigh myself that often too, maybe once a fortnight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you are gonna measure (which is great), do more than your waist. The fat loss will occur all over so you may notice changes in other areas perhaps others the next measurement.

Measure waist, hips, thigh, arms, chest/breast..

Once a month or bi monthly.. weekly will not show significant changes..
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I measured every Sunday - neck, biceps, forearm, chest, waist, hips, thigh, and calf. Now I measure once a month.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I don't measure, I have a "test" dress and jeans and use those:). Not very scientific but it gives me a practical feel of my body shrinking.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    During my loss I was measuring bi-weekly: chest, biceps, waist, belly, hips, butt and thighs. Probably should have done neck, forearm and calf as well but the challenge I was in to start didn't have them and I never thought to add them until much later.

Since going into maintenance and recomp, I've been trying for weekly measurements.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I measure once a week, and then put it into a spreadsheet. I like the others here, take multiple measurements.

Some things about measuring...
    Consistency is pretty much key here. It's not going to be 100%, but try to keep them as similar as possible. If you're measuring your waist with your abs flexed, make sure they're flexed every time.
    Try to use the same tautness with the tape (I take 3 measurements and use the average at each point).

It can be weeks before you have any noticeable impact on body composition. Having progress is the important thing (.25in is .25in, which means you're doing it right)!

As far as the volume of body fat goes, here's some kind of useful visualizations...
    1lb is roughly equal to 1lb of butter
    4lbs is about the volume of a 2 liter bottle
    10lbs is about the volume of a gallon jug

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Every month or two or when I remember. :) When clothes seem to fit differently. When I magically feel smaller (but am not :D ).
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I personally measure every other week. There's nothing wrong with measuring every week, but for me I wasn't see much of a change weekly so I switched to every other week and I'm happy :)
    Also I measure neck, arm, chest, waist, hips & thigh because sometimes I won't lose anything on my waist but my legs have slimmed down a little more.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    At this point it's about how my body looks and not as much about the scales. Previously about once a week which is not too frequent. Not concerned about one particular area as I am about the whole body look.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I measure every 3 months when I also get a DEXA scan.

Sometimes I'll do a spot measurement in the interim but only rely on the quarterly readings.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I don't measure, I have a "test" dress and jeans and use those:). Not very scientific but it gives me a practical feel of my body shrinking.

I had a couple pairs of "test" jeans when I started. They went from not even going up my legs to six inches from buttoning to buttoned, but way too tight. Then they fit. Then they got too big. Then they went to live at Goodwill. I don't have any test clothes anymore because I've never been this size before. I guess I could buy a pair that's a couple sizes too small. It's so much more fun than measuring.
  • Nickisa24
    Nickisa24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer measures me every 6 weeks but I might sneak in a few myself in between those weeks. I also measure in cm because it makes me feel better seeing a bigger loss lol
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    Options
    I personally measure weekly with my record weigh in for the week. I find I often lose inches when the scale doesn't want to budge much and vice versa. It's a bonus when I see losses on both.

I measure neck, shoulders, chest, waist, hips, biceps, thighs and calves. You can also measure forearms and/or wrists, but I don't since I don't see much movement (though honestly I don't see much movement in my neck or calves either). I also measure three times and take the average.

Some say weekly is too often and it is better to measure every two weeks or once a month. I just know that I'll forget if I don't do it weekly. I also get on the scale daily (which many don't recommend) because I like to see the fluctuations and map them to my calorie intake/burn.

I also have some goal clothes hanging in my bedroom where I have to see them daily. But I like the measurements because I like to have quantifiable success backed up by actual numbers, especially since there is no standardization of clothing sizes.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

I had a couple pairs of "test" jeans when I started. They went from not even going up my legs to six inches from buttoning to buttoned, but way too tight. Then they fit. Then they got too big. Then they went to live at Goodwill. I don't have any test clothes anymore because I've never been this size before. I guess I could buy a pair that's a couple sizes too small. It's so much more fun than measuring.
    Yes! Pretty soon I won't have any "test" clothing either. Can't wait!!

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I measure once a month. I include thigh upper and lower, knee, calf, ankle, neck, upper arm, above elbow, forearm, wrist, belly button, waist, hips, 3 inches below belly button, under bra line and bust. But I don't use a scale... so.
    Sometimes I may go 5 weeks without measuring now as I am set for just .5 per week and the loses are a lot slower.

What I have found is some areas lost size steadily where others seemed to have had their era of shrinking and then slowed down almost completely. I had a month where nothing much changed, I couldn't find a reason for that, yet I could see I lwas looking slimer and clothes got looser. I guess just I was still losing, just not in specific places the tape measure showed, for example my back and middrift appeared to lose the fatty bits.

Congrats on your loses! Good work. :)
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I measure all around every month. I check my body fat as well
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I measure too often, weekly. I record about once a month. Honestly, my hormonal fluctuations are more dramatic in my waistline than they are on the scale.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I haven't measured in several months. I usually just go by the fit of my clothes and the way I look. I think I will go measure now out of curiosity... ;)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Scale daily, calipers weekly.
  • Kelbelb75
    Kelbelb75 Posts: 90 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Weekly is fine IMO.I measure myself every one - two weeks, just for reinforcement that I am doing ok. Can definitely tell from my loose clothes though that I am doing it right. Although I forget to measure my waist everytime..lol