Vegetarian lunch ideas?

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some veggie lunch ideas that I can easily take to work? I do have a microwave so that's not a problem... I usually take salads or soup but just looking for some new ideas?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm making these for dinner tonight and will make extra to take for lunch tomorrow.

http://happyhealthymama.com/southwest-stuffed-sweet-potatoes.html

I use pinterest a lot for food ideas...it's a great resource. We cook mostly and we usually make extra of whatever we're having for dinner and have leftovers for the next days lunch. We're not 100% vegetarian but we do vegetarian 3-4 days out of the week...like I said, pinterest is a good resource for this kind of stuff.
  • lisaconklin957
    lisaconklin957 Posts: 17 Member
    Check out Amy's Organics frozen lunches, they are are vegetarian (some vegan and/or gluten free as well). The ones I get range from 380-400 calories each, and cost $3.50-$4.00. Delicious and affordable!
  • Pigeon163
    Pigeon163 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks Lisa... I'm in the UK, not sure if I can get those here but I'll have a look!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Not my fav,but a friend often takes a baked potato & tops it with salsa or pizza sauce & shredded cheese.Can you take a smoothie? With veggies & hummus on the side,it would be filling.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for some veggie lunch ideas that I can easily take to work? I do have a microwave so that's not a problem... I usually take salads or soup but just looking for some new ideas?

Make a veggie wrap. I buy tesco sweet chilli wraps and fill them with whatever veggies and beans I have on hand. Sometimes just cheese and veggies. My fav combo is probably kidney beans, sliced red pepper, spinach, and soft cheese (with tabasco or chilli flakes as well).

I just picked up some chutney the other day so might have that instead of the soft cheese this week. I just wrap it tight, then again with cling film. I eat it cold but i'm sure they're tasty heated.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Take a Tom yam or noodle soup prepped, then just add boiling water.

Ginger, cherry toms, mushrooms, shredded pak choi, spring onions, perhaps rice noodles. Add a teaspoon of paste or a sachet of miso soup and you are good to go. Layer it all in a lidded bowl and fill with boiling water when you are ready to eat. Leave for a couple of minutes then scram down!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    I like layered salad in a jar, soup and bread, rice and bean bowls that I make ahead and freeze (southwestern style/Mexican flavors), same with enchiladas (black bean sweet potato are a particular favorite), "chickpea of the sea" mock-tuna salad made with garbanzo beans, lasagne, make ahead burritos and quesadillas frozen, curries and saag frozen together with rice... lots of options.

I get a lot of recipe ideas from Budget Bytes and Eating Well (not vegetarian but has lots of veggie recipes)
  • I often have reduced fat hummus with salad or crudités and crispbread/ryvita or you could have the same thing but with cottage cheese or light cream cheese. I often take leftovers from dinner - bean and veggie stews, pastas etc. Wraps with salad, quorn slices (the ham style are ok) low fat yoghurt, chilli sauce, mustard or whatever condiments you like. Baked potatoes ( I can buy plain ones from my work canteen but you could cook at home and heat up in microwave) with cottage cheese or veggie chilli or baked beans. A niscoise style salad without the fish - hard boiled egg, new potatoes, green beans, olives. Falafels with salad or in a wrap...
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    I keep a jar of chunky natural peanut butter at work and often have a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter as a quick and easy lunch.
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian but I like to eat meatless meals several times a week. Here's a few things I like for lunch:

burrito bowls made with quinoa, black beans, roasted red pepper, corn, purple onion, lettuce, salsa & plain greek yogurt (in place of sour cream)

veggie wrap with hummus for the spread, peppers, onions, spinach, shredded carrots, or whatever vegetables I have on hand

I keep these black bean & spinach quesadillas in the freezer and just heat and eat for lunch: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/black-bean-spinach-quesadilla/

I made this recipe last week for the first time and loved it (and so did one of my co-workers): Avocado Chickpea Salad. I put it in a wrap with some spinach. http://hurrythefoodup.com/vegetarian-avocado-chickpea-salad/

Here's a couple of salads that I use as part of my lunch that I just love (and I'm not a big salad fan). They are both a good source of protein and fiber.
    Chick-fil-a Superfood Side copycat recipe: http://mommyshomecooking.com/copycat-chick-fil-a-superfood-salad/
    Publix Edamame copycat recipe: http://www.abusynest.com/2011/05/edamame-salad.html
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I sometimes take my leftover veggie sides from dinner the night before. Tonight's were sauteed onion, zucchini, tomato, and mushroom. That would be a great lunch, paired with rice or beans (or both).
  • beast4938
    beast4938 Posts: 39 Member
    Meat free from Asda