Help

Options
If I add calories for maintance will I gain weight

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, that's why it's called maintenance. You'll maintain your weight.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    So do I add a 100 calories a day

If you like. You should have a maintenance range to account for fluctuations.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just multiply your Bodyweight in lbs by 14 and that's pretty much your maintenance allowance....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just multiply your Bodyweight in lbs by 14 and that's pretty much your maintenance allowance....

Nahh on this advice..

OP just change your goal from lose to maintain. If you want to do this slower, then do increments like 100-150 a week. You need to have the idea of using a WEIGHT RANGE from here on out. Daily/weekly fluctuations are normal so if you see it go down or up, then know you are within the limits of your range. Enjoy food, enjoy eating with family friends. So if you get relaxed in logging, etc anytime during maintenance perhaps use the idea if you stay UP for more than a week or two, perhaps you need to reassess how relaxed you have been in counting and logging and make necessary adjustments.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You eat a little bit more that you did to lose weight. Start by adding a small snack to your usual diet, about 100- 150 calories, starting like that for a week. If you continue to lose weight, then add another 100-150 calories, stay there for a week, see if you lose or stay the same. Adjust as needed, keep in mind that fluctuations ar normal, so give it time.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Yes
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I did change over to maintance on mfp but it didn't change my calories

that cant be right? you're either eating in a deficit our you're at maintenance?
  • icemom011
    Options

that cant be right? you're either eating in a deficit our you're at maintenance?

Second that. Op go on goals, change to maintenance. That will reset the daily allowance of calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I tried again it still left it at 1200 calories what else should I do

Are you on a mobile device? If so, you may have to make changes from your phone's browser (so, the web version,) not the app.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you lived off the grid, and didn't have a BMR and TDEE calculators, sure, this would be better than choosing blindly.
    Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend this as a "go to" approach as it doesn't take age, LBM, activity or anything else into consideration.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    You eat a little bit more that you did to lose weight. Start by adding a small snack to your usual diet, about 100- 150 calories, starting like that for a week. If you continue to lose weight, then add another 100-150 calories, stay there for a week, see if you lose or stay the same. Adjust as needed, keep in mind that fluctuations ar normal, so give it time.

Absolutely +1 to this recommendation.

Yes, MFP will calculate a number for you. And for most people, that number will be close to correct. But that number is based on research studies that average a large group of people. Most people are close to average. But a few people aren't.

If you use the "add back gradually & monitor" method, you will find your exact, personal, customized maintenance calories. The closer you get to the right number of calories, the less frequently you will end up adding calories (because it will take longer to see whether you're still losing, since your weight will fluctuate day to day). And if you accidentally overshoot your maintenance calories, it will be by such a tiny amount that you gain verrrrry slowwwwwly, and you can correct before it becomes a real problem.

Set a range around your goal weight that encompasses what you usually see as daily fluctuations, and keep your weight in that range. (My range is goal plus & minus 3 pounds, for example.)

There is a chance that you may see a small jump in the scale when you hit your actual maintenance calories (couple of pounds). If this happens, don't panic. Adding gradually seems to minimize the chance of this happening, but if it does happen, it's not fat - it's a little jump in water weight from glycogen replenishment. Since you say you've overshot your goal weight by a bit, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Remember, you'd have to eat roughly 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a single pound. If you've added calories 100 at a time, and overshoot, it would take over a month of 100 calories above maintenance before you saw a 1-pound fat gain.

You can do this!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

Are you by any chance quite petite?
    If so, 1200 could well be your maintenance.

My maintenance, MFP at sedentary, was quite honestly, 1200.
    My loss was always 1200 cals too so I basically lost down to my goal and continued into maintenance with no calorie change.
    I am 5'1 and maintain between 100-105lbs, I'm pretty old too :)

I eventually slowly reverse dieted up to 1350-1400 by adding 50 cals every couple of weeks. My measly exercise cals are always eaten.

Cheers, h.