Pinto Beans

Options
Mveler
Mveler Posts: 274 Member
I used to love fresh pinto beans and a little dices onion on top. How is this in calories and is it good for me? What other "beans" should I look into buying?

Is anyone familiar with corn bread? I hate it but my family likes it. Is is a good grain for me?

Replies

• Tluvspitt
    Tluvspitt Posts: 7
    Options
    That's a good question b/c I would love pinto beans over black beans any day. But, I've heard that black beans are a better option. I know that there is a huge difference b/w canned and whether you cook them yourself.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think all beans are good for you, especially fresh! I have no idea how to cook them (mine usually come out of a can lol) would love for you to share your recipe :)

I love cornbread and I think in moderation it is fine, I always buy the packaged kind though...it's the Krusteaz Natural Honey Cornbread...super easy to make and very yummy!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Whenever you buy canned beans always opt for the lower sodium one and always drain and rinse thoroughly to get rid of sodium. Most beans are good for you except maybe butter beans, but they are important for a healthy diet.
    There are healthier versions of corn bread....typically it's not a good choice, but it sure does taste good.

You can use black beans to make brownies....sounds crazy, but it works.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Whenever you buy canned beans always opt for the lower sodium one and always drain and rinse thoroughly to get rid of sodium. Most beans are good for you except maybe butter beans, but they are important for a healthy diet.
    There are healthier versions of corn bread....typically it's not a good choice, but it sure does taste good!

^^This^^ and fresh beans are especially good for you! :)
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Any kind of beans are good for you, just a matter of personal taste. Also, home cooked over canned, way better !
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I buy the bush's pinto beans...they are 80 calories for 1/2 a cup. Others I've seen are 120 cal for 1/2 a cup. Avoid the "Grillin" beans and others like them as they are loaded with extra sugar! I usually cook them with chopped onion, jalapeno's, a little ham, and chili powder...yummy!
  • Mveler
    Options
    Home cooked it is. I will also look into some other fresh beans. I love to cook so these challenges get my mind off food.. Yep cooking gets my mind off food, how funny is that!
  • levixter
    levixter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Corn bread is not a good food to eat if you are really trying to lose weight. Cornmeal, butter,eggs, milk. It's like cake made of cornmeal. Taste good, but I would not indulge to much.
  • Mveler
    Options
    Corn bread is not a good food to eat if you are really trying to lose weight. Cornmeal, butter,eggs, milk. It's like cake made of cornmeal. Taste good, but I would not indulge to much.

Lucky for me I hate it. )