Vo2 Max

Options
Hey all; what are your VO2 Max scores? Mine is 39.4; would love to compare!

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    46 on my Garmin, but from what I read, it's probably not too accurate.
  • Macromac
    Macromac Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yup I use my Garmin 630 with chest strap; have been taking scores over 3 months, with an average of 39.4.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Mine says 50 but I don't pay much attention to it. Garmin uses it for the race predictor and I haven't found that to be very accurate either.

Have you done the lactate threshold test? That is more useful information if you are training for an endurance event.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ranges between 50 and 54.
    I'm a long distance cyclist.

VO2 max test in a sport science lab was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
    The lab tech did say with typical English understatement "You are quite determined aren't you?"
    Took me 3 days to recover.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Supposedly between 49 and 52. Based on race predictions, that's about right
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Got mine tested last year at the University of Minnesota....I tested on the bike as I am pretty hard core recreational cyclist....came out at between 68 and 70. My gamin 520 actually gave me the same number last week after a hard ride. Not bad for a 46 year old.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    54.6 ml/kg/min (cycling) estimated based on my 5 minute mean maximal power using equation developed by the American College of Sports Medicine. It's not really that useful since I'm in the dark as to my gross efficiency. It's probably pretty low (~22%) since my FTP (year best) is only 3.6 w/kg.
  • jlklem
    Options
    kcjchang, I have also done the 5 minute all out power test...came out at 70....so exactly what I tested at...360 watts for 5 minutes at 132 pounds (60 kilos)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was creeping up towards 50 on the longer DIY tests, but have probably dropped some due to training less lately.

I personally don't worry about it much, but think that even the longer tests without testing RER and lab type settings have more potential to be skewed. It seems there is controversy even in lab testing with methods, due to where to draw the line for determination of oxygen uptake being exceeded.

Is it just me or does the number of differing methods leave others wondering where to really draw the line between oxygen uptake and the possibility of anaerobic influence skewing the results? I've seen articles stating that on shorter tests, the anaerobic influence could easily be in the 10% + range, though IIRC this was based on the 1 or 2 minute output tests. It should obviously drop with test length, but I think for most even a 5 minute test has influence from the anaerobic system.

I sometimes think that the better way would be 10 minutes plus, and calculated from absolute oxygen requirement, regardless of equipment used.
  • jlklem
    Options
    While I know what your are saying but I have been tested in the lab (4 times) with a mask and blood draws and have done a lot of field tests...all got me to the same point...but think about as you approach VO 2 max the anaerobic systems helps more and more (until it all fails), you can not stop it from helping, so yes I can skew the results on a field test especially if you are untrained but it still gets you in the range AND the more trained you are the aerobic system will help more.
  • jlklem
    Options
    Please know the anaerobic system helps a little no matter what we do....threshold does not exist in the body in a real way, researchers set a point based on lactate accumulation which is partially arbitrary. After ~45 second of all out sprinting anaerobic capacity is mostly gone, if you have a weak aerobic system your pace goes to hell...so a one minute test is not a good measure as it mostly measures anaerobic capacity (which is also a useful number) but 5/6 minutes is ~90% aerobic. You can get to VO2 max in 20 minutes if you want...Google VO2 max slow component...fascinating stuff
  • momentai
    momentai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer and we had to calculate ours using the 1.5mile test. Mine was 47.8
  • robertw486
    Options
    @jlklem

Completely understood that the anaerobic system will always come into the picture, but simple math tells me that the longer the test, the less it would have influence. And I've seen way too many peer reviewed studies questioning a number of the VO2max tests, and showing fairly large amounts of variation vs tests done in a lab setting.

I've never looked into the 5 minute tests, but find it interesting that your lab testing and field tests were so similar in results. Not that I have power meters or any watt cycle type device to do the 5 minute test on anyway, but it might be fun to do using Strava estimates to see how close it gets to other field tests.

As for the slow component stuff, it is interesting. I've done a bit of reading on it when looking into LT training and such.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Work on your pacing or do a few jump to exhaust your anaerobic work capacity (AWC) before doing the test. AWC is roughly 20 kj give or take at intensity above critical power. For running, one's economy plays a significant factor (especially for 18-37 years using Bruce protocol, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3743617/). Also, make sure you are using the right equation (see https://certification.acsm.org/metabolic-calcs).

Strava uses estimated power (virtual power) and could be as good as dirt depending on the weather conditions and road composition.
  • robertw486
    Options
    I've seen that study and a number of others that question any non lab type VO2max testing, and that was the interest in @jlklem finding they almost matched with the 5 minute tests. Completely understood that virtual power is exactly that, but easy enough to toss out any weather advantages and see if it's close.

Overall though it still interests me, I've looked more at actual O2 tables vs pace, knowing that for endurance stuff that VO2max has to be at least equal to actual VO2. Nothing beats actual solid numbers.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    50.2 lab tested back in January but looking back I'm pretty sure I was over trained at the time and just didn't realise it, getting my VO2 & Lactate tests done helped me see that the numbers didn't reflect my prior performance so I had a few weeks of recovery then came back even stronger to smash a 12-wk Training plan, I'm glad the tests and interrelation of them forced me to realise I was in that state having become a bit too obsessive about not having rest days.
  • jlklem
    Options
    Field test use equations to estimate VO2 max. These equations take into account for the amount the "W" added on the aerobic component (so actually measuring VO2 max). While the equations could over or under estimate W by a few percentage points as long as W is taken into account you are getting a pretty close estimate of VO2 max.

Strava power estimates would add huge error. I would not bother to field test without a power meter. A no wind hill with a steady grade would be ok....but still could be 40 watt off...

In longer tests other psychological factors come into play which is why 5-6 is good enough. We know that in general 5 minutes is 90% aerobic so most of power produced is aerobic. Take off 10% of results to account for W....you have a good estimate of VO2 max.

I have done, 5, 10, 20...all the way to 4 hour all out tests/TTs. As you increase the length other factors influence your ability to go at your max. 5 is a happy medium (and decrease misery!).

And finally, while lab tests are great, there are many factors that could influence those results.

In the end its all becomes a best guess.