Garmin HRM chest question

Options
Very new to all this and can't find the answer I need. My partner does kung fu and wants to track that exercise but can't have wearables on his wrist (plans on getting the vivomart hr). Primary goal is weight loss.

Do the Garmin HRM chest straps sync to the vivosmart/ the app or does he need another device?

What would be the best set up from him?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Not sure if they sync but even if they do, what is the point? Heart rate does not determine calories burned. HRMs are best used for activities like running, biking, or swimming.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Could get a bluetooth one and sync it to his phone and have it on the side of the room. I use a Polar BT HRM and love it.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The watch doesn't have to be worn to sync with the strap. I'm not sure how far away it would still work though. Might be worth doing some research about ANT+ which is Garmins method to connect to chest straps.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Not sure if they sync but even if they do, what is the point? Heart rate does not determine calories burned. HRMs are best used for activities like running, biking, or swimming.

Standard kung fu forms & drills should give a calorie burn not materially different from standard cardio-type activities, if done continuously without a lot of stops & starts. Having done both kung fu and more common "cardio" things (spinning, rowing machine), I'd expect a reasonable HRM calorie estimate from a kung fu class or practice session in which the person keeps moving throughout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My partner does kung fu and wants to track that exercise but can't have wearables on his wrist

HR is unlikely to give a meaningful, or reliable, indication of calorie expenditure in that type of situation.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What would be the best set up from him?
    Not using a HRM! :)
  • tjjancovich
    tjjancovich Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information, really appreciate it!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I used to have the Vivosmart. I would wear the wrist unit on my tank top. In kettlebell class I would also take off the wrist unit and it would be nearby and not pick up anything.