Taking meds on an empty stomach? Am or PM?

Options
This may sound like a silly question but when do we have an empty stomach? If ever! I always thought that first thing in the morning on waking was the norm for taking meds on an empty stomach, especially since I have not eaten any food for at least 8 hours. I am actually referring to Levothyroxine here which I take for hypothyroidism...but I am sure it can apply to many other meds.

I have got a bit confused as I keep reading that some people take their meds at night on an empty stomach. Does this mean that they have not eaten anything since the afternoon? I generally try to make a rule that I don't eat after 8pm at the latest...even then my stomach cannot possibly be empty when I go to bed..so logically it makes no sense for me to take my meds at bedtime.
Does anyone know where I am coming from who can clarify the matter. Thanks.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If I have to take something on an empty stomach, I take it first thing in the morning, and then don't eat or drink anything for a little while afterward. Not sure if that's right, but that's how I do it.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Usually, an empty stomach is first thing in the morning. Unless you're not eating for 6 hours prior to taking the medication at night, it isn't really on an empty stomach.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Call your pharmacist. They'll be happy to answer any questions you have about your medications for free. If not, get a new pharmacist.
  • niks66
    niks66 Posts: 7
    Options
    I take the same thing and take it in the morning. I wondered the same thing about "empty stomach" and figured its emptiest in the morning! :)

9286281.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Was just told this on Friday. The pharm told me to wait at least 2 hours after I've eaten. I have to take this pill 4 times a day so I can't starve myself just for some antibiotics.