Hula hooping weight loss?

Options
minayoki
minayoki Posts: 1 Member
Hi :),

I have a weighted hula hoop and I've never really had the motivation to use it. I'm trying to tone up my tummy area and although I know spot reduction isn't a thing has anyone had any luck with hula hooping?
I intend combine hula hooping and running.

Thanks

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    90+% of all weight loss is in the kitchen. You have to eat at a deficit and while exercise is good, it is a minor part of the weight loss. Now you can recomp your body, but I'd tell you to lift weights for that.
  • CajunCher2005
    CajunCher2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think hula hooping is a great idea! I read that it burns about the same number of calories as a brisk walk. It doesn't take up much space and it would be easy to do while watching TV or listening to music.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I dated a girl who hula hooped for exercise and it was hot.
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted hula-hoop that I use regularly for exercise. You burn approximately 7 calories per minute, and good for your core. I've started using it for the same reason as you, to tone up my midsection. I like to hoop to music or while I watch TV. Can't say that I've notice a huge transformation, but I am burning calories while I would otherwise be sitting on my butt, so there is no down side. Lots of youTube videos on hooping for exercise, too. Happy Hooping!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For a complete core move, do a plank! - one of my fav's - start at 10 or 20 seconds to hold if you've never done one, then work your way up there. And yes, I agree with Casper - weights!
    90+% of all weight loss is in the kitchen. You have to eat at a deficit and while exercise is good, it is a minor part of the weight loss. Now you can recomp your body, but I'd tell you to lift weights for that.

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I love my weighted hula hoop. I used to do it more often in the past, but not so much now since picking up different sports and martial arts.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit.
    I wouldn't rely on hula hooping for weight loss
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like fun. Any activity is better than no avtivity. It might curb your eating as well..I can't imagine trying to hula hoop on a full stomach.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    I think it sounds like fun. Any activity is better than no avtivity. It might curb your eating as well..I can't imagine trying to hula hoop on a full stomach.

If you have a decent size meal and then try to hoop, you get really bad pains in your sides (large intestine area) that actually take your breath away.

It's a good way to keep dinner's portion smaller, but it also makes it easier to quit hooping once that cramp begins.
  • DesertMermaid29
    DesertMermaid29 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been hula hooping for years! It isn't a huge option to lose weight HOWEVER it does burn some calories. As far as a weighted hoop goes, I typically only use that for shaping. It helps you drop inches very quickly. I recommend getting a basic old lightweight hoop, I use one of the ones from a toy section. The lighter the hoop, the more calories you burn. The amount of calories varys for each person but I typically burn 1/3 more calories with the light hoop than weighted.

Also, try mixing it up. Learn to walk around while hooping, jump up and try to keep the hoop up, squats are AWESOME while hooping. Try 30 seconds of hooping at a normal pace and 30 seconds of hooping as fast as you can.

I hoop while watching a movie and do 30 mins hooping, 5 off and repeat. I also play ps4 (COD) while hooping. That takes serious concentration lol.

I hope some of these options help!
  • CarlDuffin1
    CarlDuffin1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I see hula hooping as similar to yoga - not great for calorie burning but they do help you to focus on your body and therefore eating more sensibly.