Shoulder Injury

Options
Hi Everyone. I hurt my shoulder 2 weeks ago and it was fine for a week after that. I did lighter weights and there was a little discomfort but nothing hectic. Then last week it got worse. It fluctuates between serious discomfort and just plain *kitten* painful. It gets so bad at night that I cant sleep.

Sometimes it feels like the it is the muscle and sometimes it feels like it is the joint and sometimes it's both together lol My range of motion is affection quite a bit as well.

Any ideas and/or advice?

Thanks

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Possibly rotator cuff injury. I would suggest seeing a doctor just in case as those are a pain in the neck and take some healing - been there and didn't follow my own advice and now have a very redid posed shoulder to injury.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I concur with seeing a doctor. Couple of years ago I had mild shoulder impingement in my left side. Could not lift my arm over my head at all. Sleeping was painful especially with being a side sleeper. I received a referral from my primary doctor to see a physical therapist and they helped in getting better.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you very much :)
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    @Morgaen73 possible rotator cuff injury and/or tendonitis. I currently have tendonitis in my left shoulder and am seeing a physio for it. Best advice would be to book an appointment with a physio as soon as possible who will give you the proper stretching exercises to do. If you do OHP, leave it out for the time being and go lighter on other exercises about shoulder height or leave out altogether.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    doctor or physio
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No doubt, get to a doctor. I dealt with shoulder impingement for over 10 years. It got so bad I couldn't throw a ball or if I did yardwork, I could barely pull my seatbelt over to click it in. Last year They went in & resected my collarbone & cleaned out my shoulder. It's incredible being able to lift, swim & do anything I want with no pain.
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    I'm seeing the Doc tomorrow :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »

Good!

Been there, done that. Have had 2 rotator cuff surgeries, 1 that was misdiagnosed and delayed for over a year as a result.

If you have to go thru a PCP, you need to ask for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon and an MRI. Only the MRI will reveal sny tears. In order to get them more quickly, make sure to tell your PCP that the injury occured over 2 weeks ago and thay, despite rest, OTC pain killers and other efforts you've taken, the pain hasn't gone away.

Good luck!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    See a doctor (or two or three).....

Shoulders can be very tricky due to how they function. Recovery can be pretty crazy. I separated mine playing soccer and it wasn't even a super bad separation and it took a full year for it to feel 100% again. So don't mess around and go find someone who can help point you on a reasonable path to recovery.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,997 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow follow the doctor's advice to a TEE. I developed shoulder impingement in both shoulders at the same time last summer. Tried working through it, no go. Went to a doc for x-rays, was lucky to not need surgery or physical therapy just follow doctor's direction regarding medication, exercise restrictions, etc.

For sleeping at night I took a spare pillow, folded it in half, and when I slept on my side I would hug the pillow to my chest and wrap my arms around it. Not squeezing-tight, but my top arm stayed mostly front-facing not rotated in due to gravity.

It took me about six months to regain range of motion, another few months to stop wincing when I did stretch. I'm now about 14 months post-injury and am back to 100%, full range of motion, no pain, full strength returned. I'm now far more intelligent when it comes to planning my lifting routines, getting enough recovery, and doing exercises to strengthen my shoulder and protect from future injury.
  • cammaxton
    cammaxton Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Good! Don't put it off, I injured my shoulder a couple of years ago, being an idiot I figured it was just bruised, kept using it, went to the doctor a month later to find out it was fractured and had healed wrong, I've now got limited motion in that shoulder. Not worth it for what could have been an hour at the doctors and some rest.
  • kellya252
    kellya252 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I developed adhesive encapsulitis, or frozen shoulder, without recalling how I hurt it. It started out with A LOT of pain if I moved my arm in certain directions. The pain gradually went away but the shoulder became more and more stiff. My ROM became quite limited in that joint. I went to physio for several weeks with only minimal improvement, then went back to the orthopod, who injected steriods right into the affected joint. Within two weeks I had regained pretty much complete ROM.
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    OK just a bit of an update. My shoulder is MUCH better now. Apparently I hurt the muscles in the joint which caused my shoulder muscle to pinch and that became inflamed. So, between my PT and the physio they have me going back to basics. No more lifting heavy. Basically I need to build up the muscles in my shoulder joint again. Sucks but better than nothing lol
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OK just a bit of an update. My shoulder is MUCH better now. Apparently I hurt the muscles in the joint which caused my shoulder muscle to pinch and that became inflamed. So, between my PT and the physio they have me going back to basics. No more lifting heavy. Basically I need to build up the muscles in my shoulder joint again. Sucks but better than nothing lol

Congrats, that is the best diagnosis you could have. If you're interested, check out some of the free articles on Eric Cressey's site. Cressey is a strength and conditioning guy who has specialized over the years in the shoulder. Works with many Major League baseball players.

http://ericcressey.com/

This takes you to archives of stuff he's written back to 2002
    http://ericcressey.com/baseball-content

Scroll down the page, archive on the right. I've been to several physical therapists in my community that specialize in athletic rehab and they all read Cressey's stuff.

Best of luck.
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    awesome thank you very much :)
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yep we've all been there and decided to soldier on when in fact seeing a professional would've been the best bet. Hope it's nothing too serious. Good luck with recovery. That'll definitely be on the agenda.