First weekly weight in-3 Different scales, 3 different weights?

Options
I weighed myself on 3 digital scales within the same timeframe and they all said different weights, the they were between 5-6 pounds of between scales. I also weighed my self multiple times on the same scale and it gave me different readings every time. Feeling pretty frustrated. Should I go buy a new scale? Should I try a non digital?

And what reading do you take when you use the same scale and it gives you something different everytime. Even within the same scale its a at least a 3 pound variance.

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    That's a tough one, it could be batteries, it could be the way you where standing on the scale. I use an analogy one. I usually only way myself once a week. Whatever it says, I take. As long as my over all average trend is going down, that's all I really need to use a scale for. Maybe taking measurements would help too?
  • JeanLaw131
    JeanLaw131 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    You really need to pick one scale, step on it once, and just go with that number. Remember the actual exact number is not what's important, but the overall trend.

^ this
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Its awkward because you want to know your current weight to set your calories etc right...however, I don't suppose just a few pounds would make a difference to that.
    The other guys are right, just pick one scale and stick to it. Knowing that the pounds are going up or down is more important than the actual number.
    My scale gives different readings depending where I stand on it. I try to stand in the same place and take three reads, which ever comes up the most often I use.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    That is called measurement error. You won't get rid of it even if you by a $1000 scale - you can only reduce it. You reduce it by controlling the variables - which scale, time of the day, clothes/no clothes, routine, etc. You can to keep as many of the variables as you can the same for each time you weigh.

At the end of the day, the actual number is worthless. It doesn't matter if you think you weigh 120 lbs or 150 lbs. What you really care about is if your weight is changing.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    You really need to pick one scale, step on it once, and just go with that number. Remember the actual exact number is not what's important, but the overall trend.

Yeah That's what I think I am going to do. Otherwise Ill go insane
  • jkr1000
    jkr1000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have wonky floors and find that really effects the weight reading, so always put my scales on a certain square in the bathroom before weighing myself. Also agree, 1 set of scales, weigh yourself once, and take the reading every 1-2 weeks (I was told 2 weeks is best, but I can never wait that long). Measurements can be a better way to check weight loss, loss of inches is a big boost. I always measure my waist, hips and thighs as I think they are my problem area. Good luck with the weight loss.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Commercially available bathroom scales are kind of like old-school clocks: They're measuring something, but its not some kind of Absolute Truth.

All scales need to be calibrated -- set to measure a specific weight correctly

Then there are the separate issues of accuracy and precision: how close is a measurement of a known weight to what it is "suposed" to be, and how *small* an increment can a scale weigh?

Basically, people on here are constantly demanding things of their scales that are impossible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890563/

Related: Consumers reports says the top four scales they tested were accurate to within a pound plus or minus at least 97% of the time. But that means that the BEST bathroom scales they tested will weigh a 100 pound weight as 99 or 101 pounds. You have to look at overall trends, not a single measurement of less than a quarter-pound.

With measuring changes over time? Yout need to pick ONE instrument and ALWAYS use that instrument. Then you will know that (within the accuracy and precision of your tool) the *change* you measure is correct..
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    soinbnsng wrote: »
    I weighed myself on 3 digital scales within the same timeframe and they all said different weights, the they were between 5-6 pounds of between scales. I also weighed my self multiple times on the same scale and it gave me different readings every time. Feeling pretty frustrated. Should I go buy a new scale? Should I try a non digital?

And what reading do you take when you use the same scale and it gives you something different everytime. Even within the same scale its a at least a 3 pound variance.

Great question,

Measuring and evaluating your progress is important part of becoming healthier, performing better and changing your body composition. At the same time I find a lot of people can drive themselves crazy with this process. Here is what I have my Clients do first thing in the morning on the last Sunday of the month.

1. Photos: My Clients take photos from 3 different angles in the same place (Front, Sideways, Back)

2. Measurements: My Clients take 6-7 different circumference measurements

3. Weight: My Clients stand on the scale (the same scale each time) and record there weight

Other Measurements

1. Body Composition: If the Client is interested 2-4 times per year (most generally twice) I'll have them go in for a body scan to provide them with a precise body composition analyze.

2. Blood Work: 2-4 times per year, the client will get a blood panel performed

3. My Strength and Conditioning programs are designed in 12week increments. Week 11 is always a testing week consisting of a strength, conditioning and performance assessment workout.

4. Other measures depending on the Client range from sleep hours, water intake, daily habit practices, etc.

I invite you to try this approach out. It'll provide you with clear data, but it'll also prevent you from going crazy with conflicting readings from normal body fluctuations. This will also provide you with a wide range of useful information on your progress.(not to mention a cool line of before after photos) Let me know if you have any questions.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    OP just use one scale. Ttrend your weight using one scale. Make sure you check the batteries in the scale you use it is digital. If you suspect your scale is really going bonkers for real, then yes buy you a new one.

Measurements and perhaps photos (in the same clothes) are a good thing about once a month. Not daily or even weekly. Perhaps measure thigh, hips, waist, chest/breast, arms, and maybe the addition areas like the neck and calves.
  • Darcy0316
    Darcy0316 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    While it's true that it's the general trend that's important, I would say that a scale that has a 3 lb. variance every time you step on it should not be used. It's not accurate, and 3 lbs. is a huge difference if you step on it at the same time/place within a few minutes. My scale stays stubbornly the same every time I step on it in that situation, believe me, I wish it would change sometimes, lol. It will change if I eat or drink inbetween weighings, or use the bathroom, etc., but even then it's not 3 lbs.!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Try to find a place you can put the scale and leave it or somehow put it down in the exact same place every time. If it is moving around a bit it can really impact the reading on even pretty good scales. On cheap scales small differences in the surface can mean a big difference.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Darcy0316 wrote: »
    My scale stays stubbornly the same every time I step on it in that situation, believe me, I wish it would change sometimes, lol. It will change if I eat or drink inbetween weighings, or use the bathroom, etc., but even then it's not 3 lbs.!

Most modern digital scales are designed to "lock-in" a reading after you've been on the scale for a certain period of time and you'll repeatedly get the same reading until the memory clears (after a longer period of time) or if you weigh yourself again with something weighing about 5 lbs more.

I use a 5lb dumbbell to reset mine when I question the reading. I can also get a new reading w/o needing to do this if I can get off and back on the scale b4 the reading is saved to memory.