Tall people squatting

Options
Is squatting more difficult for taller people? I'm 6' 5" and I use the right form ( feet apart, toes out, back straight) but it feels awkward like I have to sit back too far to keep my knees from going over my toes. And when I'm lifting it feels weird to straighten my legs again like the weights too far back. I'm considering sticking to the leg press machine and hamstring curls/leg extensions.

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a bigger learning curve for the long legged squatter. Don't give up just yet! It sounds like balance could be a part of the issue. Two things I would try:
    1 - Find a pole or wall for balance and get into a third world squat stretch. You may need to use the pole for balance at first. Pay attention to the way your weight shifts on your feet. When you find balance, let go and hang out there for a while.

2 - Find a squat rack and set the bar where you normally would to do your back squats. Put your open hands on the bar and start defending into your squat. Right when you start to feel off balance stop and hold that position till you find balance then descend lower. Repeat this coming up.

I am 5'9" and carry most of my height in my legs. These a some of the things I have done to help my squat.

I encourage you to post a video of your squat on here. To do that, post your video to YouTube and link it here. There are a bunch of experienced power lifters on this site who are really helpful:-)
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It is supposedly difficult for people with long femurs. I'm 6'3" and it has taken me a long time to feel like I'm learning the form. I struggled mightily until I started doing low back squats, since then I've been improving --- added 20 pounds in the past couple of weeks. If you haven't seen it, look for the Mark Rippetoe video on low back squats.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Knees past toes is a normal bio mechanical function.
    Also here's a good read discussing it. https://squatuniversity.com/2016/01/29/can-the-knees-go-over-the-toes-debunking-squat-myths/

squat-variants.jpg
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing high bar squats, you might actually be more comfortable with low bar. You'll have your feet wider, and pointed away from you in that form.
    A lot of people that are new to squatting have pretty tight hip flexors, so you might want to add some flexibility/stretching in for a couple of weeks.

If you're able take a video and put it up on youtube with the link. That way people could really see your form and give you much better advice.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    OK for your knees to go past toes as shown above. Play around with bar position to see if one is more comfortable than another. High bar, low bar, front, one of them should work out for you.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It certainly is more difficult for the taller person as your range of motion is greater and levers are longer. That being said I have squatted 450lbs for reps and I'm 6'3"
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You do what you gotta do to keep your center of mass over your shoelaces. If that requires your knees to track beyond your toes, so be it.
  • srjackson50
    srjackson50 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am only 5'7" but I will say that I felt the exact same feeling when I first started squatting. I have noticed that as I built muscle I do not feel that way anymore. Like some on here have said, balance also plays a part. Your core will strengthen and help with that as well with time and repetition. I'm at the point now where I can do tons of squats (without weight) and I'm completely comfortable with the position. The closer your legs are together, the harder it will be to maintain the proper form-also works different muscles and is a bit harder of a work-out. If you're a newbie, consider starting with no weight and master that first!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    6'7 and yes.... mobility problems abound. Been able to work around them all in various ways. Squatting is still way more work for you and me, than for regular sized people.

And you should be pushing your hips up, that's the cue. ..rather than straightening legs.

Post a form video up.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Many have mentioned some good advice.

Squatting just like deadlifts cannot be the same for each person. You have to find the style that works for your body and mobility and go from there making adjustments.

I would worry more about your balance in relation to bar path opposed to how far forward your toes go. Also knees tracking over toes.