Looking at getting back into weightlifting. I need help with a program. 300lbs+

Options
fatguy_fitness
fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I just joined a gym and am looking at getting back into weightlifting. It's been about 15 years since I did it regularly and that was back when I was doing sports in HS and College where my routines were made for me. I've be looking around at weightlifting plans online. I see everything from ones for beginners, for weight-loss, for building mass, etc. I can see how I could fit into all the 3 of those. It's been so long since I lifted I could be a beginner. My goal is to lose weight, so that would work too. Part of me wonders if a adding mass program might be the ticket too. My reasoning behind that is I have and will have some loose skin as I drop weight, I wondering if building muscle mass would fill in some of the loose skin...if that makes any sense. Can anyone give me any guidance?

For the record I'm 6'2" about 315 right now, down from a high of 343 4 years ago. I was as low as 285 3 years ago, but fell hard off the healthy eating wagon and jumped back up to about 330. Right now my diet is low sugar and low simple carbs (kinda paleo) with calories around 1600-1800.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    i think the point is to start. pick something from among the ones that look like they'll suit you, do it . . . this is your gateway programme. then just keep your mind open and change if something more suitable comes along.

it's like going to college. my kid held off for forever because he 'didn't know what he wanted to do'. finally i told him, just go. you'll learn more about what you want to do by going and finding out what there is, than you ever will by sitting around here googling and trying to plan out your life with intangibles.

personally, i started with a mickey-mouse 'women and weights' course through a rec centre since i'd never been in a weight room before, and wanting to learn how to lift for me was about like a guy wanting to learn how to knit. i found sl 5x5 and did that for a year on my own; found a trainer who moved me to 3x5, and i've just recently switched to wendler 5/3/1.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have great success with Strong Lifts (mentioned above) 5x5. You're benching, deadlifting, squatting regularly and those movements will target all of your muscle groups and give you a great foundation. I have not tried it myself but have heard really good things.
  • dtcjem
    dtcjem Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar position, used to lift when younger and in better shape and stopped and ate for many years. I started again and have been doing StrongLifts 5X5 and I really like it. Forced me to not try to start where my mind left off and I have seen great improvements in strength. Once I have that base I will move into more of a split
  • Rogansdad72
    Rogansdad72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also doing SL 5x5, in to my 6th week now. Starting BW was 312, down to 286 today, eating better and doing intermittent fasting 16/8. Seeing great progress in strength, endurance and weight loss. 5'8 male.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What's the one goal you want? Is it weight loss? Is it strength? Do you want overall more muscle? Pick one goal and go with a program that suits it. Also, make sure it's something you enjoy! You won't stick with it if you don't like it or it doesn't fit in your schedule.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    OP: There are a lot of programs that you can choose from. Everyone is just going to recommend the program they use, which is not necessarily the best program for you.

There's a pretty extensive list of programs with embedded links posted in the "Gaining Weight" subforum under the thread title: "Which lifting program is best for you?"

I'd post the link for you but for some reason I can't do that from the mobile app. Perhaps someone else can help by doing that. In any event, it's currently on the 1st page of titles and should be easy to find by trolling thru the titles.

Good luck!
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My biggest goal is weigh loss, but I want to start lifting to tone up as well.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5 here. The program is simple - compound moves you can easily learn the form for - and the free app keeps track of all your weight progression for you. Similar programs are Starting Strength, Ice Cream Fitness, and New Rules of Lifting. All good places to start with a lot of freely available info online.

If weight loss is your primary goal, then just make sure you continue to eat at a deficit while lifting.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You want to pack on mass and loose weight? Stick with the higher reps of 10 to 12 the last rep to failure 3 sets Lots of compound exercises like squats deadlifts bench both flat and incline. Form is a must don't sacrifice form for weight. Do that for 90 days then look at doing a cycle of heavy. Check out bodybuilding.com they have the best routines.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    As your main goal is losing weight, pick any programme from the beginners list in the post above. Your goal with lifting at this point is to retain as much of the muscle you have and increase strength. (You can't gain muscle on a deficit)

Once you have hit your goal weight you can concentrate on hypertrophy.

Getting .8-1g of protien per lbs of ideal weight and losing at a reasonable deficit will help with muscle retention too.

Cheers, h.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Which ever program you choose, I would suggest upping your calories. It looks like you're at about 50% of maintenance right now, which will neither provide you with enough energy to train nor enough sustenance to build muscle.
  • JamalIgle
    JamalIgle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ars371 wrote: »
    My biggest goal is weigh loss, but I want to start lifting to tone up as well.
    I would recommend a serious cardio routine plus diet to drop the weight while building up on strength training. I dropped 135 lbs that way.
  • tannie64
    tannie64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will do wonders for your weight loss. Since muscle burns more calories. I am not a big fan of cardio to the point I do very little. Yes you need to do cardio too in order to lose weight so having a good plan of both cardio and weightlifting is the best thing you can do for your body. There are a ton of weightlifting programs out there find one that talks to you, something you feel comfortable with thing is it might be a hit and miss at first because not all programs are for everyone. The one thing to remember is to change it up at least every 4 to 6 weeks because like anything else your muscles will get use to it. Best thing you can do in the end is find what works for you. But definitely incorporate a weightlift regimen you will be glad you did.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Yeah, that. And if it's been ~15 years since you regularly lifted, you're a beginner - it doesn't matter how much you can lift.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Which ever program you choose, I would suggest upping your calories. It looks like you're at about 50% of maintenance right now, which will neither provide you with enough energy to train nor enough sustenance to build muscle.

I agree with this - at 300lb + you may find it easy to sustain this deficit in the early days, you will soon run out of steam and your mood and gym performance will deteriorate.

For those above who mentioned 5x5 Strong lifts: +1 form me - that is an excellent program for beginners and returning gym folk.