How many eggs in a week?

SarahDavies1105
SarahDavies1105 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
As above really, I eat an egg a day, im just worried about cholesterol

Replies

• KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    I noticed they were really high in cholesterol so I switched to liquid egg whites. I scramble them with cheese and they taste just fine!
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    i don't think an egg a day will do you any harm - my other half has two whole eggs a day and about 3 egg whites
  • sunnymoon8
    sunnymoon8 Posts: 14 Member
    I eat 2 eggs every day. I had my cholesterol checked and it was fine. I am sure it is different for everybody, but I think one a day is probably not going to hurt you.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Actually, recently (february) they discovered that 1 large egg has almost half the cholesterol of what they had originally thought. So 1 egg a day is fine, unless you have heart problems

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/08/earlyshow/health/main7329038.shtml
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood cholesterol.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I eat 2 eggs a week, more whites, maybe 4.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Everywhere you look you get different opinions. I found this article and thought interesting .....

http://stronglifts.com/cholesterol-saturated-fat-how-many-eggs-daily/
  • i eat eggs 3 times a week. :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,031 Member
    I eat a LOT of eggs. A typical day for me is nine eggs (nine whites + three yolks). My cholesterol levels are what I consider to be decent: total 181, LDL 120, HDL 43 (I'd like this to be higher, but it's higher than it used to be).
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Weeks are not made of eggs. They are made of days. HTH.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    ^^^This^^^
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    I go through a dozen eggs a week, sometimes more. Numbers have been fine, it's not the concern it was, wasn't it in the 80's when they said eggs were a problem because of the cholesterol? Just like in the 90's "FAT" was evil... now it's transfats that are bad while the unsaturated and saturated are getting better light?
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152

This. They are two different types of cholesterol.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    ^^^This^^^

totally agree!
  • SarahDavies1105
    SarahDavies1105 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you :)
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    ^^^This^^^

totally agree!

I had no idea! Can anyone elaborate and explain it better for me?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    "Cholesterol is a waxy steroid of fat that is manufactured in the liver or intestines. It is used to produce hormones and cell membranes and is transported in the blood plasma of all mammals."

Made in the liver or intestine... blood of ALL mammals.

We make it whether we consume it or not. Our blood levels of cholesterol are more affected by how much we make ourselves than how much we eat.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    I can go through 2 dozen in a week easily. Food cholesterol isn't something to be too worried about from my understanding.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    I think the only time you need to worry about the cholesterol in eggs is if you already have high cholesterol. They are very healthy for you, one a day is great.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Myth 2: Eggs are evil
    It's true that eggs have a lot of dietary cholesterol—upwards of 200 mg, which is more than two-thirds of the American Heart Association's recommended limit of 300 mg a day. But dietary cholesterol isn't nearly as dangerous as was once thought. Only some of the cholesterol in food ends up as cholesterol in your bloodstream, and if your dietary cholesterol intake rises, your body compensates by producing less cholesterol of its own.

src - http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20259746,00.html

That said, I eat 3 or 4 for breakfast quite frequently.
This discussion has been closed.