It's too soon still, but what if I really do it this time?

agm103
agm103 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 29 in Motivation and Support
I've just been thinking a lot recently if I actually complete this. I just had my first weigh in since I've been working out and eating cleaner and much healthier. I lost almost 7 pounds... But I feel different this time. What happens after if I actually complete this?

Am I counting my chicken before the egg hatches? I'm scared- Can I really succeed at this?

Help, suggestions, tips... All is welcome. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    i knew this time was different too!! and your brain adjusts to it and your body loves it! you will stick to it! congrats on your loss!!
  • cgaines59
    cgaines59 Posts: 3
    I am scared also, but it can be done. I am scared that I will give up as I usually do and if I do reach my goal, will I be able to keep it off. I find that not concentrating on weight loss so much helps. I am new to MFP and enjoying all the post. The site is awesome!!! I am really on my way to a new me! Have been struggling with weight all my life and feel that I don't have too many more chances to get it right. I am really motivated now (more than I ever been). I am now wearing a belt with my pants to keep them up. Before this I never wore a belt. I really like me for the first time in a long time. Every time I look in the mirror I get more confident. I am setting short term weight goals for myself. My first goal is to become less than 200lbs, and then I will go from there.

Starting Weight: 236lbs
    Current Weight: 222lbs
    Total Loss: 14lbs
    Goal Weight: 199 lbs and beyond

8637300.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Great job on the 7 pounds lost!! You can and will do this. Don't be scared. Only good things come to us as we lose weight. Just picture in your mind how great you will look and how happy and healthy you will be. Good luck and we are all here for you!
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Yes! Yes! Yes!...you CAN do this. I believe in you, now you just have to believe in yorself! Good luck with your journey!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Yeah, someone just kinda "clicked" for me this time. It's kinda scary to think that I could actually succeed and become thin and fit and healthy and smokin hot! That's a whole different world than one I'm used to. But I'm just still taking it day by day. Heck, I'm still kinda shocked that I've got 15# lol Imagine how I'm gonna feel when I've lost 110# ... nuts!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    You not only CAN do it, you WILL do it. If you're ready to change, you'll change. You just have to remind yourself of why you started living healthier. Maybe you want to lose weight, or perhaps you have a health issue you're trying to remedy. Whatever reason, if you keep that in the front of your mind when you have a bad day, it'll motivate you to do better. Find some supportive friends on this site, too. It helps a LOT when you need that extra push. Best of luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    What "clicked" for me this time was the lightbulb moment that I'm doing this - exercising a lot and eating right - because I LOVE myself, rather than as a "punishment" for gaining weight. Eating well and being active now feels like a reward... a special gift I'm giving to myself.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    It gets tougher to push as you get closer...I won't lie. But, at the same time...if you just think to yourself 'wow, if I got this far...how much MORE can I do?'...it helps you keep pushing. My current goal is 12% bodyfat or so...I'm 19% right now, down from I'm sure somewhere in the 30's. When I look in the mirror, I look better than I have in years...better than ever in some ways (carrying around all this weight built musculature I didn't have when I was in my early/mid 20's)...and I've got a lot of stress in my life right now. It would be very, very easy to relax. It's a daily choice to keep pushing, not to maintain.

I don't want that...I want to be my best. Period.

And so...I keep going.

You will too, if it's really time for you to change =D.

Cris
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    You can succeed at this. You can do it for real this time.

That's my motto. Doin it for real this time.

But the key isn't a physical change but an attitude adjustment.

The difference between the me that gave up every other month and the me now is the me before would get frustrated at only losing 1/2 - 1 pound a week or losing nothing and give up. Since then I've learned a lot more about fitness and exercise science and I now know that it's ok if I lose less than a pound per week or if it have a week or two where I don't lose anything.

We often fail because we set ourselves up for failure so just make sure you are setting reasonable goals for yourself and don't let the scale bring you down.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    You ARE already doing it! It is already real!
  • caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    I lost my first 60 lbs on Weight Watchers over the course of about 4 years while in college. It was a slow process, but I am grateful for that because it allowed my mind to change at the same rate as my body. I crave food differently now. Fried, buttery, and heavy foods no longer appeal to me because I slowly swapped them out for lighter, cleaner foods.

Go slow, and with the mindset that this change to the way you eat isn't just a diet, but how you will eat for the rest of your life. Your taste buds will adjust, as well as how you view food. Let exercise and ativity become part of your lifestyle. Once you create new habits and stick with them past the difficult adjustment period, they will become more automatic and help you during maintenance.

I have been able to maintain my initial weight loss for almost 4 years, and now that I am trying to lose the last 20-25, I am finding that it's easier to stay motivated because I already know it works. Keep finding those little things that motivate you, and don't let set backs along the way stop your progress. Discouragments will come. Little gains will happen here and there. You'll get frustrated and emotional one night and eat an entire box of Little Debbies, and it's okay. Just wake up the next day, do something that makes you feel good and healthy, and keep going. You'll get there.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    positivity is great as it will help you focus. ive lost weight before but piled it back on as it was always for some silly excuse to say fit into a dress or something. this time around i knew i wanted to lose weight to get healthier and set a good example for my daughter. I knew it was a different attitude and that is what helped me. so dont worry, if you are truly committed, nothing will stop you :)
This discussion has been closed.