Protein powder???Meal replacements??? I'm lost

Options
I have no idea if this is a good idea or not. But my mom and I where talking and she was siggesting getting a protein powder for meal replacements ....I don't even know if that's rite how I worded it. Anyone have any incite on this subject? Are meal replacement shakes a good idea for losing weight? I'm sorry I'm new to all this and don't quite understand the protein powder world. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE SUPER DUPER GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! :) Thanks everyone

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are simply an efficient and convenient whey (lol) for meeting your protein requirements. If you find it more convenient to eat an apple and a protein shake than, say, a turkey sandwich, then it works for you.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A lot of people say that drinking X calories rather than eating X calories doesn't provide the same level of satiety because the body has missed out on certain cues.

I've not had this problem -- I often throw some bananas, strawberries, greek yogurt and almond milk in a blender and call it second breakfast. I add protein powder if it looks like I might need extra for the day.

Ultimately, there's nothing magical about protein shakes or meal replacement shakes.
  • JayMportillo
    JayMportillo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Protein powder is just a protein supplement...it does not provide sufficient nutrition to qualify as a meal replacement...it's only for protein supplementation. A meal replacement shake is a completely different animal from a protein shake and provides a variety of nutrients. I suppose they're fine, but I'd rather eat...a true meal replacement shake is going to be roughly the calorie equivalent of a small meal...I'd rather have the meal.

Heck yeah I'd rather have a meal as well.
  • JayMportillo
    Options
    Thank y'all for the information. I really appreciate it very much!!!......I'm gonna stick with having a meal instead! Thanks oodles
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Protein powder to complete your nutrition and reach your daily protein intake NOT to replace a meal.
    You want to lose weight watch your carbs. Avoid simple carbs and eat complex carbs (veggies and fruit).

Google GI diet and eat from the low GI food list.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all for the information. I really appreciate it very much!!!......I'm gonna stick with having a meal instead! Thanks oodles

The only time I'd really consider a meal replacement shake is if I was on the go or something or just needed something quick...I wouldn't really make them a staple or anything...part of this process is learning how to eat so that when you get to maintenance you will be well practiced...drinking meal replacement shakes really doesn't teach you anything during this phase of the process...and this is only one tiny phase.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Protein powder is just a protein supplement...it does not provide sufficient nutrition to qualify as a meal replacement...it's only for protein supplementation. A meal replacement shake is a completely different animal from a protein shake and provides a variety of nutrients. I suppose they're fine, but I'd rather eat...a true meal replacement shake is going to be roughly the calorie equivalent of a small meal...I'd rather have the meal.

This. You can, however, get protein bars which have carbs, fiber, fats, and lots of protein all in one, and are usually called meal replacement bars. Most of them are in the 400 calorie range and have between 16-32 grams of protein. Most of us that use the powders use them to increase our protein intake with less calories, but we don't use the shakes as meal replacements, more as a macro enhancement. For instance, every day with my breakfast I drink a 2 scoop Whey Isolate shake that is 60g of protein. I do it because I eat mostly bran cereal and fruit for breakfast, and I try to get about 180g or more a day of protein. It's tough to eat that much protein unless you eat a ton of meat at each meal, so I suppliment with the shakes in the mornings. If I have snacks (and I do on days I exercise a lot) during the day I go for protein bars. Always look at the calories and nutrition, see how it fits your macros.
  • MoonKat7
    Options
    Protein bars are full of junk and expensive. A waste of money. Buy real meat.
  • JayMportillo
    Options
    MoonKat7 wrote: »
    Protein powder to complete your nutrition and reach your daily protein intake NOT to replace a meal.
    You want to lose weight watch your carbs. Avoid simple carbs and eat complex carbs (veggies and fruit).

OK I am going to do look that up now thank you!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

I use them at work and on the go to stay away from preserved meats (IE: sodium laced garbage), but yes, I agree with you. When at home and when I can cook it.. I prefer meat any day of the week.
  • MoonKat7
    Options

I use them at work and on the go to stay away from preserved meats (IE: sodium laced garbage), but yes, I agree with you. When at home and when I can cook it.. I prefer meat any day of the week.

I totally understand that but still it's not healthy.
    I use unsalted sugar free rice cake or nuts or fruit. I plan my macros around it.
  • adriennevy
    adriennevy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I recently bought my very first protein shake powder (Vega Essentials Shake) for post-lifting at the gym. I was considering having it with almond milk occasionally for breakfast. My usual breakfast is a piece of toast with peanut butter or some fruit yogurt, but those are killing me on the carbs/calories/sugar. I figured the shake would be an upgrade. Yes, no?
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Or just keep track of your calories eaten and eat whatever you want (as long as you stay under your set calorie goal).

Restricting carbs is certainly a way to lose weight, but it's not the only way. And it's not for everyone.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

One does not have to watch their carbs to lose weight. Even if you do, it doesn't guarantee weight loss. I lost 50 lbs with 250g + with 110g of sugar (both simple and complex; this doesn't even take into consider many fruits is simple). In fact, while i cut, i drop fats since carbs satiate me and fats do not.

That being said, one needs to play with their food combinations to figure out which provide the great levels of satiety while addressing their goals.

Personally, i cook with protein powders but dont drink shakes. They dont fill me up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    adriennevy wrote: »
    I recently bought my very first protein shake powder (Vega Essentials Shake) for post-lifting at the gym. I was considering having it with almond milk occasionally for breakfast. My usual breakfast is a piece of toast with peanut butter or some fruit yogurt, but those are killing me on the carbs/calories/sugar. I figured the shake would be an upgrade. Yes, no?

There are a lot of variables before we can answer this. What does the rest of your diet lool like? What is your training? What are your stats (height weight age)? Think of shakes like a vitamin. They are there to fill a gap in nutrition. If you are low in protein, then its cool. If you arent, they can bit a bit unnecessary.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie for breakfast everyday. I add variety but the same basic idea. Milk, frozen fruit, a banana, protein powder, baby spinach and ground flax or chia seed. Simple, fast, easy and nutritious.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It's OK to replace a meal with a protein shake AS LONG AS you're meeting your daily macro/micro requirements through other means. In the end, weight loss is all about caloric deficit. If protein shakes help you maintain that deficit and meet your macro goals, go for it.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have meal replacement shakes for breakfast, and sometimes for lunch, and they make it much easier for me, personally. But protein powder and protein meal replacement shakes are two different things. But they're available all over, like grocery stores, big box stores, etc.. If you don't like the taste, you can put them in a blender with frozen fruit.