Shakey and dizzy, is that part of it?

Options
This morning I cut a ton of carbs from my breakfast, Its past noon and I haven't had lunch but I'm just now starting to get hungry. I thought I'd wait till I was hungry. But all morning I've been dizzy, shakey and almost a little nausous. If I eat a bunch of carbs I'll be fine, I've done this before but I don't want to. So I guess I need to know if this is all normal or if there is an underlying problem? I did have gestational diabetes and have it on both sides of my family. Could this be my problem? I've not been tested for it since I had my son.

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Get tested! Once you have gestational diabetes, you are set up to develop diabetes later in life. It is very serious. Let me re-word that. Those that get gestational diabetes are pre-disposed to diabetes. Their body is under stress which brings the diabetes out. But later in life, a lot of the them get regular diabetes as well.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    Absoluely!!! I had gestational, and developed type 2 shortly after.

Get tested. The shakes and dizzy feeling could be from your sugar levels.

When I drop low, I feel this way.

It should NOT be normal. diabetic or not. Get checked out. Immediately.

Sarah
  • BProudOfU
    BProudOfU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and the ONLY time I feel this way is when my sugar is low. You should probably get tested to make sure, but if you are feeling that way and have a little carbs/sugars (even a piece of fruit) you will start to feel better. It is not good to let your sugar go too high or too low...This causes all kinds of undue stress and damage to other organs. Good luck.
  • sawalter68
    sawalter68 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have low blood sugar. Do you typically eat a protein and carb together every 3 hours? I find that when I do this I keep my blood sugar pretty level through the day.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Get yourself tested
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    This morning I cut a ton of carbs from my breakfast, Its past noon and I haven't had lunch but I'm just now starting to get hungry. I thought I'd wait till I was hungry. But all morning I've been dizzy, shakey and almost a little nausous. If I eat a bunch of carbs I'll be fine, I've done this before but I don't want to. So I guess I need to know if this is all normal or if there is an underlying problem? I did have gestational diabetes and have it on both sides of my family. Could this be my problem? I've not been tested for it since I had my son.

Before starting any serious diet... you need to check with your physician just to be safe. They will also give you sound advice on what you should do with your diet related to any health issues your might have to make your diet work for you. :heart:
  • jandj331
    jandj331 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes and I get the same feeling when my sugars are low and when I am not eating properly. Your skipping meals can cause this as well. Just an FYI I gained my weight from not eating enough food. Make sure you are eating 6 small meals a day, cutting carbs do not mean starving your body of the needed nutrients. Watch your nutritional values and prepare small low to no carb snacks to keep you going.

Check out this site, it may give you a little more insite on some low carb snacks to munch on:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28401-list-low-carb-snack-foods/

Good Luck and in the mean time get yourself checked out to ensure you are ok otherwise.
  • countrymama03
    Options
    thank you all for your kind words and advice. my main problem is no healthcare and limited funds, a very unfortunate cadigory for me to be in but most american's are however. i can not just go to the doc. i was tested the year after my son was born and they said i didn't have any problems to just eat right. my youngest is now almost 5 and i never thought about being test again. i did buy some fruit today and so far have eaten like 4 times, lol. i feel like i am eating more but it all good stuff so its not so bad. i don't feel shakey and dizzy today but nausous.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Did you check your blood sugars while you were gd? If so, use your glucometer and check your fasting sugars for a few days, then check your 2 hour after meals for a couple days. This should help you figure it out without going to the doctor. If you dont have your own meter, you could borrow someones, or get a super cheap one from the pharmacy. The off-brand (store brand) ones are very comparabe to the Accu-check brand. Good luck to you! Hope you get it fugured out soon!
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I too had gestational diabetes and later Type 2 because I didn't heed the warnings. It's important that you balance everything in your diet. If you're drinking your carbs, don't. I have gone from insulin dependency to diet controlled diabetic. It's tough some days but I sure hate the feelings of sickness that come with not eating right and the dizziness and shaking are some of those feelings. Never skip meals. Even if it's a slice of cheese and a couple crackers eat. Eat every 2-3 hours. Make it something light in between your meals. My favorite is grapes and cheese cubes. If you are eating the correct portion of protein you won't feel as hungry in between meals. Check with your local health dept and see if they do the glucose testing and if so, maybe you can afford the test. Good luck and please don't ignore what you're body is telling you. You may not be diabetic, you may just not be eating right. :)
  • countrymama03
    Options
    Did you check your blood sugars while you were gd? If so, use your glucometer and check your fasting sugars for a few days, then check your 2 hour after meals for a couple days. This should help you figure it out without going to the doctor. If you dont have your own meter, you could borrow someones, or get a super cheap one from the pharmacy. The off-brand (store brand) ones are very comparabe to the Accu-check brand. Good luck to you! Hope you get it fugured out soon!

thanks. i have an Aunt that is diabetic i'm visiting tmro. i know she won't mind.
  • countrymama03
    Options
    I too had gestational diabetes and later Type 2 because I didn't heed the warnings. It's important that you balance everything in your diet. If you're drinking your carbs, don't. I have gone from insulin dependency to diet controlled diabetic. It's tough some days but I sure hate the feelings of sickness that come with not eating right and the dizziness and shaking are some of those feelings. Never skip meals. Even if it's a slice of cheese and a couple crackers eat. Eat every 2-3 hours. Make it something light in between your meals. My favorite is grapes and cheese cubes. If you are eating the correct portion of protein you won't feel as hungry in between meals. Check with your local health dept and see if they do the glucose testing and if so, maybe you can afford the test. Good luck and please don't ignore what you're body is telling you. You may not be diabetic, you may just not be eating right. :)

I realized that my snacking was usually cookies, crackers, lots of sugary drinks, chips... the list goes on and on unfortunatly. I am listening to my body, I will go the our local clinic if I really need to. I just don't go for everything and can't. So I also have to along with counting calories, count protien vrs. carbs? Okay, no problem. i got this. i can do this! i want a better me ;)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds like low blood sugar to me. I'm in no danger of diabetes but if I eat quick acting carbs (like a bowl of cheerios with milk and banana), I'll be starving and shaky in about two hours. So maybe you need to just be more particular about what kind of carbs you're eating (complex/high fiber like whole grain and whole wheat are best) and make sure you get plenty of protein in your meals and even snacks.

You really have to be careful about low carb dieting, there is definitely a wrong way and a right way to do it so do your research if you can't go to a doctor. The library and internet have plenty of free info, just make sure the sources are reputable. There is plenty of information on the website for the American Diabetes Association (diabetes.org)
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Protein is very important! It will hold you over so you aren't hungry as fast and eaten with the right balance of things everything falls into place. Peanut butter is another one of my BIG protein boosters. Unlike some diabetics I try to never reach for a carb/sugar when I feel my sugar getting low. I always reach for peanut butter crackers. They seem to work faster and I don't feel as bad/sick afterwards. A good old fashioned peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread is awsome. I love jelly/jam too but that's only sporadically (and I do mean sporadically) when I want a treat. You can do this! Carbs are good if managed. If you're exercising they are a must! Don't get too crazy on the cutting at first. Just change bad carbs for good and you'll do great.