Will one meal a day hinder weight loss if I'm in a deficit?

Options
Long story short, I gained 15-20 pounds since starting college about 2 years ago (probably from all the sitting and studying and college cafeteria food). Coincidentally, I recently developed Colitis, was tested and diagnosed and have been going through all sorts of symptoms including morning nausea, occasional vomiting, decreased hunger, diarrhea, and so on. Basically I've been force feeding myself breakfast, lunch, and mid-day snacks. I don't truly start getting hungry anymore until evening/dinner. I'm considering switching to one meal a day (preferably dinner) so that I can eat when I'm hungry and so the food will "stay down" and also it will be easier to control my calories so I can lose weight. A win-win. Is this a safe plan? Or will it wreck my metabolism?

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter. If you can get in all your calories and adequate nutrition by eating once a day, go for it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In general, eating one meal a day (of appropriate calories) is fine, does not hinder weight loss, and even can be part of a method that makes weight loss easier for some (intermittent fasting).

However, since you have a medical condition, I'd say that in your case you should talk to your doctor and ideally get a referral to a dietitian. I also think that when eating one meal a day (especially with problems keeping foods down/feeling hunger vs. it just being how you like to eat), that there's a danger of going too low on calories or not getting in an overall healthful diet, so would again think talking to a dietitian would be important.
  • Tiffminus30
    Tiffminus30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've lost a ton of weight eating once per day, which is referred to as intermittent fasting. I'm sorry about your illness and hope you can work with your doctor find a meal plan that will relieve your symptoms.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference on when you eat or how often.. It's all down to overall calorie input vs. burn.
  • StinkyCheeze
    StinkyCheeze Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference on when you eat or how often.. It's all down to overall calorie input vs. burn.

So going most of the day without eating won't slow my metabolism down?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

So going most of the day without eating won't slow my metabolism down?

No.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In general, eating one meal a day (of appropriate calories) is fine, does not hinder weight loss, and even can be part of a method that makes weight loss easier for some (intermittent fasting).

However, since you have a medical condition, I'd say that in your case you should talk to your doctor and ideally get a referral to a dietitian. I also think that when eating one meal a day (especially with problems keeping foods down/feeling hunger vs. it just being how you like to eat), that there's a danger of going too low on calories or not getting in an overall healthful diet, so would again think talking to a dietitian would be important.

I completely agree with this. For the most part meal timing is irrelevant, but since you have medical issues it is best to discuss with your doctor. The idea that you need to eat breakfast to "jump start" your metabolism is a myth. Eating once a day will not do anything to your metabolism.