Weight gain with exercise

Options
Hi. So I've got like 20lb to lose, and have for a while. I'm not gaining I've lost 7lb over the last year or so. I had began last August going to the gym and working out a few times a week and basically I put on a stone, so I went from 10.5 to 11.5 stones between August and June this year. I was watching what I ate and intending to lose weight. I tried doing more cv doing weights classes , none of it resulted in me losing weight. So I stopped going to the gym. In July I began using a protein shake based diet and that's when my weight has come down. I like going to the gym and working out. So I have rejoined the the gym but need advice on how not to gain the weight. Any advice I could take on board would be appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you have gained 14lbs in 10 months then its because you're eating too much.

count your calories, eat in a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I average 1400 calories per day and have for over 3yrs.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

then i would see a doctor
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I did too. I was underactive thyroid. I need to be around 1200/1300 with additional exercise to lose, even with my thyroid in a better place.

It does also depend how you judge/measure your food/fluid intake.

• SincerelyHiatus
    SincerelyHiatus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that muscle weighs more than fat. Even if you're gaining weight, if you'e working out correctly, it's probably just muscle and I wouldn't worry. When you work out, you can't rely on the scale for results - start taking measurements of things like your waist.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I would like to point out that muscle weighs more than fat. Even if you're gaining weight, if you'e working out correctly, it's probably just muscle and I wouldn't worry. When you work out, you can't rely on the scale for results - start taking measurements of things like your waist.

doubtful
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When starting to exercise you might see some weight gain because your muscles are retaining water. I only ever see weight loss after a rest day.

Exercise's , both cardio and strength training, benefits is for more than just weight loss and by not doing them you are doing a disservice to your body.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

No for a female to gain a pound of muscle a month some hard work is involved. Not likely for a casual gym goer. Even less likely for someone on a calorie deficit.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options

don't listen to this. it's pretty hard to gain that much muscle in such a short period of time WHILE trying to lose weight.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    don't eat extra food.

track and weigh more carefully.
    99% of the time, failure to lose weight at a set calorie goal is inaccurate tracking.
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A lb of muscle actually weighs exactly the same as a lb of fat however muscle is dence so takes up less space that fat.
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot smaller than I was a year ago. The excess weight litrally fell off in just over two weeks when I stopped going to the gym. I had put the stone on in seven months. I was working out upto five times a week for at least 90 minutes each time . And I used scales for weighing my food just incase. I also took a healthy lifestyle course at my doctors. I've not had my thyroid checked in a while. Thanks
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot smaller than I was a year ago. The excess weight litrally fell off in just over two weeks when I stopped going to the gym. I had put the stone on in seven months. I was working out upto five times a week for at least 90 minutes each time . And I used scales for weighing my food just incase. I also took a healthy lifestyle course at my doctors. I've not had my thyroid checked in a while. Thanks

Some of the lack of weight loss could have been due to water retention but that typically doesn't last more than a day or two. However, it also depends on how much water you took in and how much sodium you have in your diet. What you're explaining is beyond the laws of physics. You can't gain or maintain fat stores unless you're replenishing the calories burned. Also, it's highly unlikely as a female that you were putting on a pound of muscle a month. That's something most men struggle with, unless you're a genetic abnormality. You mentioned that you stopped going to the gym. Does that mean that you stopped dong workouts (lifting) at the gym and confined your exercise regimen to non-gym activities consisting mostly of cardio? If so, the amount of calories you were burning might have been higher because you focused more on doing more cardio or more intense cardio than you were previously. There's a lot of varying reasons why what you experienced happened. You just have to figure out what changes you made overall that changed your results.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot smaller than I was a year ago. The excess weight litrally fell off in just over two weeks when I stopped going to the gym.

had that happen to me, if i quit lifting or take a major deload. pee for canada for a few days, and then suddenly 5 pounds lighter when i wake up. opposite also happens when i go back: gallons of water go into me while i'm doing my lifts, and none of it seems to come out.

personally, it doesn't bother me. i take creatine more religiously than my arthritis meds, and i love the sensation of muscles that are fully hydrated and joints that move smoothly far too much to care about five or ten pounds.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

No. If you're eating at a deficit you're not gaining muscle. Most likely is just water retention from starting a new exercise program.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    A lb of muscle actually weighs exactly the same as a lb of fat however muscle is dence so takes up less space that fat.

Muscle weighs more per volume, not weight.