Healthier spaghetti recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• melissaalyce
    melissaalyce Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been using the barilla protein pasta in a pinch when I've no time to do the spaghetti squash or out of zucchini to spiralize. It's pretty tasty and has less carbs. My family also likes the noodles.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Just eat the spaghetti in a portion size that works for your calorie intake.

I do sometimes use the protein pasta instead of regular.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by healthier? Lower calorie? More nutrients? More fiber? Low carb? Gluten free? Please specify.

The pasta itself- you can buy enriched, whole grain or veggie spaghetti https://www.barilla.com/en-us/products/pasta/veggie/veggie-spaghetti
    You could sub zucchini noodles. It would not be the same texture but zucchini is pretty mild tasting and you can put sauce on it.
    The sauce- go for veggie packed instead of meat, cheese or cream sauces to lower calories.
    You can buy or make lower sodium sauce if that is a concern.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I opt for adding veggies to my spaghetti sauce to increase the bulk with a lower proportion of the calorie dense parts of the meal (i.e. pasta, meat, cheese.) That way I get a big portion of food (along with a side salad) and it is easier to fit in my calorie budget. Sauteed peppers, onions, zucchini, eggplant and the like all make excellent (IMO) additions to tomato sauces. If the sauce is cream or butter based I opt for broccoli, spinach, tomatoes as well.
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We have been using low sodium vegetable stock to boil our pasta. We also add lots of vegetables and other ingredients while it cooks. We don't drain the liquid as it infuses and creates a light sauce. There are many one pot recipes out there for pasta.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Great idea @qwikstreet on using a low/no sodium stock to boil pasta!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Estefani_H wrote: »
    Do the zucchini noodles taste good as spaghetti?

Of course not. I use real pasta.....I just learn portion control & eat only one serving. I do like lots of veggies in the sauce though.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So i was wondering if there was any healthier spaghetti recipes out there?

What is it about spaghetti that you believe to be unhealthy...?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I personally don't find anything in particular about spaghetti that is unhealthy...but then again, I don't really buy into the carbs are bad nonsense. I eat vegetarian a lot of the time...which includes things like pasta, gnocchi, etc...they are calorie dense, but that doesn't mean they're unhealthy...just that you need to eat these things in appropriate portions.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

This was my question as well, hard to offer a relevant solution without knowing specifically what the problem is...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    I opt for adding veggies to my spaghetti sauce to increase the bulk with a lower proportion of the calorie dense parts of the meal (i.e. pasta, meat, cheese.) That way I get a big portion of food (along with a side salad) and it is easier to fit in my calorie budget. Sauteed peppers, onions, zucchini, eggplant and the like all make excellent (IMO) additions to tomato sauces. If the sauce is cream or butter based I opt for broccoli, spinach, tomatoes as well.

^This is my strategy as well. I think zoodles have their place, and that place is to stretch a serving of regular pasta.

I do usually eat black bean pasta for the protein, but when I want regular pasta, I have it.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I nosh on pasta one night a week ... and seldom do a red sauce, never one that is premade cause I like to make my own. But I do like roasted or sauteed vegetables with the 2 oz pasta I cook up as 1 serving. It's really not any more carbs than having a sandwich using 2 oz of bread, in my opinion. Of course, on the da I have pasta, I will not be eating bread as well. I know I need to get in a certain amount of grains a day and half of them should be whole grain so sometimes my pasta is a whole grain type, but I don't like the taste of it as much as good ole semolina wheat pasta.

Last night I had my pasta in the form of steamed vegetable dumplings. The pasta was the wrap around those veggies.
  • PunkerGin
    PunkerGin Posts: 5 Member
    Options

No.

• aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    PunkerGin wrote: »
    They said spaghetti not fking shirataki or Zuchinni "noodles" you trendy pinterest morons. ^^

I agree with the post LESS noodles & more sauce.

No need to be so sassy. I actually like zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash better than traditional pasta and have been putting pasta sauce over veggies since way before Pinterest. My favorite is red sauce over roasted carrots, cauliflower and onions!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

OP you never answered my question. What is it about spaghetti that you believe is unhealthy? I can't try to answer your question unless you answer mine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    High fiber pasta, veggie based sauce instead of cream/cheese, lean meat/beans/tofu for protein, and since I have a high fiber goal I like to add a little ground flax.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Taste preference is highly individual. They do not taste like spaghetti at all but only you can decide if it tastes as good to you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I find some of the relies odd. Does something have to be unhealthy before we can make it healthier? That's a serious question. I assumed the OP meant lower calories and/or more nutritious.
  • mrflipmode
    mrflipmode Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    tinned or fresh tomato
    tomato puree (if required)
    crushed garlic
    onion
    mushroom
    quorn mince
    seasoning
    olive oil

fry off mince and onions in tiny amount of olive oil, add the rest of ingredients, leave to simmer whilst you cook the spaghetti.

20 mins max , easy to do, healthy , high protein

good luck