avoid Conair weight watchers scale!

Options
I just bought a bathroom scale that measures fat% and BMI from Conair and it doesn't even give your correct weight! I wanted to set my settings to calculate my body fat % and every time I stepped on the scale my weight changed! this was all within 10 min where my weight would fluctuate between +/- 6lbs, so I was never sure what was my correct weight. anyways, I'll be returning this tonight.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good scale? This one that I'm returning cost $60, I thought this had some quality because of this but I guess not!

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Well I would definitely stay away from a scale that pretends it can reasonably tell you your BF% without a tape measure. Realistically, the only way to know that for sure is to have a nurse squeeze you to death in the arm with one of those giant tweezer things (calipers?). You can actually buy calipers on your own and do the test. If you do it correctly, it's supposed to be pretty accurate. Here's a site with some ideas, as well as caliper instructions.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/13/5-ways-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well I would definitely stay away from a scale that pretends it can reasonably tell you your BF% without a tape measure. Realistically, the only way to know that for sure is to have a nurse squeeze you to death in the arm with one of those giant tweezer things (calipers?). You can actually buy calipers on your own and do the test. If you do it correctly, it's supposed to be pretty accurate. Here's a site with some ideas, as well as caliper instructions.

Actually calipers are also quite inaccurate along with any tape measure method due to the large room for error. All it takes is a small inaccuracy to mess up your entire reading. And I've even seen people who are "trained" use them, use them incorrectly. The only true tell way is scans, such as DEXA. However, to just watch trends, then a scale is perfectly acceptable, as long as you don't rely on it solely.

OP, how did the store stock the scales? Were they upright or laying flat? If they were upright, that can throw of calibration. Also, did you read the instructions? Many scales are different in how they read weight. My current scale I can step on immediately without issues, but past scales I needed to "reset" them by zeroing them out, otherwise I would get weird readings.

• matt_rodge
    matt_rodge Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks, thats quite helpful!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

Actually calipers are also quite inaccurate along with any tape measure method due to the large room for error. The only true tell way is scans, such as DEXA. However, to just watch trends, then a scale is perfectly acceptable, as long as you don't rely on it solely.

OP, how did the store stock the scales? Were they upright or laying flat? If they were upright, that can throw of calibration. Also, did you read the instructions? Many scales are different in how they read weight. My current scale I can step on immediately without issues, but past scales I needed to "reset" them by zeroing them out, otherwise I would get weird readings.

Yeah she's right. But I will plug for calipers against a scale that's just measuring your height weight. A scale that tells you it can accurately guess your BF% is still a liar.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If it fluctuates that much I am curious as to the nature of the surface you have put it on. If you have it on something that is a bit plyable like a vinyl or something that little bit of flex can introduce a lot of error. Have you tried putting it on a hard surface and seeing what happens to that variation? Even if it is just a matter of taking it outside and trying it out on the concrete for a bit.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Actually calipers are also quite inaccurate along with any tape measure method due to the large room for error. The only true tell way is scans, such as DEXA. However, to just watch trends, then a scale is perfectly acceptable, as long as you don't rely on it solely.

Yeah she's right. But I will plug for calipers against a scale that's just measuring your height weight. A scale that tells you it can accurately guess your BF% is still a liar.

Realistically, whatever method you use, stick with it. Whether it be calipers or scale. I personally use my scale that reads body fat % with the understanding that it's inaccurate, but I'm interested in the downward trend versus the number itself. So calling it a liar isn't necessarily true. You just have to use the information in a way that is useful.

• matt_rodge
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    If it fluctuates that much I am curious as to the nature of the surface you have put it on. If you have it on something that is a bit plyable like a vinyl or something that little bit of flex can introduce a lot of error. Have you tried putting it on a hard surface and seeing what happens to that variation? Even if it is just a matter of taking it outside and trying it out on the concrete for a bit.

• maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a conair scale weight watchers scale. Mine however does not measure anything beyond weight. It has worked well for me through my journey.

ALSO FYI, your scale needs to be calibrated each time it is moved to a new location. (turned on. reset to zero. turn off. then use)
  • matt_rodge
    Options
    Yes I had it on level hardwood flooring, my last scale, which was probly just your average $10 one, didn't look good but gave the same weight if you went on it 5 times in a row. So I didn't even bother to look at the BMI cause I couldn't even figure out my true weight lol
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    matt_rodge wrote: »
    Yes I had it on level hardwood flooring, my last scale, which was probly just your average $10 one, didn't look good but gave the same weight if you went on it 5 times in a row. So I didn't even bother to look at the BMI cause I couldn't even figure out my true weight lol

Yeah if a different scale on the same surface didn't have that problem then it probably isn't the surface, a flexible surface would mess with any scale.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Actually calipers are also quite inaccurate along with any tape measure method due to the large room for error. All it takes is a small inaccuracy to mess up your entire reading. And I've even seen people who are "trained" use them, use them incorrectly. The only true tell way is scans, such as DEXA. However, to just watch trends, then a scale is perfectly acceptable, as long as you don't rely on it solely.

yes, i've been trained to use calipers and even I have issues with them every now and then. It really requires a perfect pinch for all measurment sites. Especially with the cheapey calipers it's SO hard to get it right. I generally tell my clients to use it as an estimate. Unless you happen to have some of the 400$ harpenden skinfold calipers, I would take all of that with a grain of salt.

For bathroom scales, i personally use one like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016QN8QDM?psc=1

I've found with these digital scales, however, it really depends on the surface you're trying to weigh them on! Don't use it on hardwood, vinyl, or other softer surfaces. Only hard tile (that's level) and concrete (that's level), work. I have a little section i my bathroom where i know exactly which tiles the scale has to sit on. Otherwise i have the same issue, op!