Walking to lose weight

Options
ashlied84
ashlied84 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been logging and watching every single thing I eat for almost 2 months now (56th day of logging today) and I'm down 17lbs. And I haven't been working out at all. In fact I suck at it. But I want to start walking 30-60 min a day and maybe work into other workouts. But my question is has anyone had good results from just walking??

Replies

• LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    I had before...lost A LOT of weight, at least 40 lbs....but quit watching what I ate. Now I mainly just walk, but I'm averaging 10,000-12,500+ steps a day.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I’m currently 250+ days into this change and I’ve lost 55 lbs. In the same amount of time, hubby has lost almost 100!

We have walked almost every single day since we started. If you’d asked me two weeks ago, I would have said “Maybe?” But, in the last two weeks, we have stopped walking (long story) and the scale WILL NOT MOVE. Logically, I know that it’s because we’re eating the same as we used to and not burning as many calories. So, we could just reduce our calories and continue not walking, but I wanna eat!

So, no, you don’t have to walk (or do any exercise), but it does give you a bit of a buffer for a bit of extra food.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Walking burns calories, so yes. I like to do it because as the poster above me said, it allows me to eat more.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    As you are learning losing weight is more about what you eat and how much. So adding walking will also add some calorie burn, but not a ton. You are on the right path and I suggest you keep going.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I tend to be sluggish winter and fall, but last fall resolved to walk every day at lunch time (except if it was raining hard) no matter how cold it was. (I'm in Massachusetts.) This was great for me. I was more energized and productive in the afternoon at work, and my energy carried over into the evening. Instead of being a coach potato, I was able to go to the gym or do yoga a few nights per week.

I walk less in the spring, as it is gardening season, and the summer, due to the heat, and am really enjoying the cooler weather and walking again.
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    YES! a few years ago, i walked 3 miles every day and 5 miles each saturday and sunday. i lost 30 pounds in about 6 months and didn't really change my diet. of course, i fell off the wagon, and am just now trying to get the walking thing back to be a habit - along with changing my eating as well. YES! walking works!
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I started weight journey Nov 2015, I did follow calories to lose the weight. All I did was walk and I lost the weight. I lost 40 pounds. Walking got my legs limber and strong but I am finding that I need to do some arm exercises and some belly exercises to build up the muscles.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    I started weight journey Nov 2015, I did follow calories to lose the weight. All I did was walk and I lost the weight. I lost 40 pounds. Walking got my legs limber and strong but I am finding that I need to do some arm exercises and some belly exercises to build up the muscles.

This^