Weekends are my downfall. How do you survive?

Options
2»

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    'Bank' some calories from during the week for indulgences at the weekend! :)

If you are under each day by approx. 100 (Maybe more, maybe less) - add all the days up that you are under and use that to go toward your alcohol at the weekend! This worked really well for me. Weekends, for me - are the times I eat-out or see friends for food and drink so this was a great way of being able to do this yet still maintaining my weekly deficit.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Treat weekends like any other day.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I usually get sick if I have more than 2 drinks any more. It has helped immensely with any thoughts of alcohol consumption. I just don't feel as good the next day and that has actually become important to me.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you prefer to drink, but if you like Guinness, it's about 200 calories a pint. For me, it takes a long time to drink and fills me up, so I don't end up drinking more than one.
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not a social person so this is just a theory. I hear people talk all the time about going out with friends and family and not wanting to be "that one" in the group who orders a salad for dinner or water at the bar. If I had this problem I would try to make friends who are also trying to be healthy and have at least 1 in the group. I feel like if there are at least a couple people in the group doing it it takes the social pressure off. When I was vegetarian I went to like a picnic event at college and there was homemade food that looked great but I couldn't tell what was in it. I was so scared to be the girl asking what everything is and then someone went "ok, which ones are meat free for all the vegetarians?". I wasn't singled out I was still part of a group and I no longer feared it.
  • the3dwizard
    the3dwizard Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ... When I was vegetarian I went to like a picnic event at college and there was homemade food that looked great but I couldn't tell what was in it. I was so scared to be the girl asking what everything is and then someone went "ok, which ones are meat free for all the vegetarians?". I wasn't singled out I was still part of a group and I no longer feared it.

"What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Oh, that's okay. I make lamb." Sorry, I saw this and the aunt from My Big Fat Greek Wedding just popped into my head. :smiley:

I go out to dinner with customers and I was afraid of sticking out too. However it seems that everyone's tastes are so varied that it isn't so bad. Hopefully when you are out with your friends and family just saying I am trying to watch what I eat or drink will be enough and they won't hassle you. I figure just keep it low key.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify I am totally my own worst enemy. I do not cave to peer pressure of others but myself haha. Unfortunately beer is my drink of choice. I'm gonna work on it for sure. Thanks all for the many suggestions!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I dance my *kitten* off (five hours of salsa!) and don't sit down at the bar at all.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot over the weekend, compared to during the week - swimming, hiking and HIIT are my main ones at the moment. It gives me a bit of freedom to eat more than during the week. I try to keep it as healthy as possible, though, and try not to go crazy on pizzas or other types of junk food.
    Weekends are my downfall too, and I'm only learning how to make sure it isn't. Don't worry about it!

Also, gin and tonic are low calorie :smile:
    Same goes for vodka and fruit juice - but watch out for the sugar intake!
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    How many drinks do you have on the weekends?

My boyfriend and I are the obnoxious craft beer lovers that roam the stores looking for brands we haven't tried yet, and I'll occasionally have gin, bourbon, or wine.

1) I either limit myself to one or two beers if I worked out that day, and I'll usually split the beers with my boyfriend so then I end up only having 1/2 beer or 1 full beer.
    2) If there are going to be snacks, I'll either eat a big healthy meal before, or bring my own snacks and share with friends if they are interested.
    3) Like many, I pre-log to the best of my ability and see where/if there's wiggle room.
    4) I plan my "cheat day" (just a day where I adjust my carbs to be higher than my normal days) on that day, but still stay within my calories for the day.
    5) Save up calories during the week to splurge on the weekend (but if your goal is weight loss, try not to eat back more than 75% of your saved up exercise calories because many machines and MFP are not super accurate).
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice, thanks!
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Do! There is no try! :smile:

I do my official weigh-in/body comp every Saturday morning. I think that helps keep me on track over the weekend - keeps me mindful of my goals.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink, in part because alcohol is little more than pure sugar. It will undo your weight loss program like nothing else.

Two other things I do on weekends:
    1. make sure my activity level is at or above what I do during the week (no sleeping in on Sundays, for example) and
    2. cook at home vs. going out. Restaurants love to pile spices on top of food, and that's almost a sure-fire way to increase your salt level, causing fluid retention and weight gain. If I do go out, I make very clear to the wait staff to not put ANY seasoning on my food. Black pepper is all I need.
  • bigfatguy13088
    bigfatguy13088 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yep weekends, particularly when alcohol is involved, hurt alot of peoples efforts on this board.
    I would recommend drinking 1 light beer when out, really nursing it all night if possible. Everyone else will be tipsy so they wont notice. Plus you'll be fine to drive yourself home!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I sign up for early morning classes on the weekend. Whenever I am tempted to drink the night before, I think of how much better I am going to feel in class on Saturday morning if I went to bed early and don't have alcohol in me. I've actually come to appreciate getting up on the weekend, getting my day started and my workout all done early.

While I do have an occasional drink here and there, the more I have cut alcohol out, the less I actually want it these days. Also, when I think of how much work I put into my workouts for the week, I look at it as an investment of my time, effort, and money, and then I stay pretty motivated to protect my investments at all cost.

That said, I do have a social life and I don't just stay in on the weekends so I can get up early to work out. But it does cause me to really put thought into what I *really* want to do - how I want to spend my time, money, car gas, calories, etc. If it's just kind of eh, I pass. If it's something I really want to do or someone I want to see, maybe I'll have the beer. But stick with one, etc.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm not a social person so this is just a theory. I hear people talk all the time about going out with friends and family and not wanting to be "that one" in the group who orders a salad for dinner or water at the bar. If I had this problem I would try to make friends who are also trying to be healthy and have at least 1 in the group. I feel like if there are at least a couple people in the group doing it it takes the social pressure off. When I was vegetarian I went to like a picnic event at college and there was homemade food that looked great but I couldn't tell what was in it. I was so scared to be the girl asking what everything is and then someone went "ok, which ones are meat free for all the vegetarians?". I wasn't singled out I was still part of a group and I no longer feared it.

This is kind of where I sit on this too...maybe my friends are just given to fads or something, but I feel like at any given time, there are at least a couple people not drinking for whatever reason, a couple people dieting/cutting, at least one person on the vegetarian-to-vegan spectrum, someone trying Paleo or LCHF or whatever, etc etc etc.

All I've ever had to say is "Oh, I'm not drinking for a few weeks until my race," or "Single vodka water, I need the sorority-girl special after all that cake last week," or whatever. In my experience, other people really don't care about what you're drinking or eating if you don't make a big deal of it.