This geek is in dire need of more support and motivation....

Options
Hi. I'm 32 and am totally geeky, nerdy, dorky, artsy, and craftsy? I have many, many obsessions and am just a total fangirl. I just can't help myself. I absolutely love books, movies, shows, anime, manga, music, musicals/plays, art, crafts, gaming (video/board/card/rp), supernatural stuff, super heroes, graphic novels/comics, cosplay, cats, and so on and so on. Simply put, I'm extremely eclectic. I also adore things that are vintage and pin-up girl related stuff. I wish I was one. *sighs* Maybe one day my inner self will match my outer self. It's gonna take a lot of work and it's gonna need a lot of help. I am trying to lose 77+ more lbs. It's been a major struggle so far and an ongoing battle for years. I really hope I'm going to succeed this time. So, I'm looking for people with similar interests and goals. If you dig the same stuff and am in the same rut, friend me with a msg. Hopefully, we will succeed together and win this war. Oh, and if a list of examples of any of the categories that I listed is wanted or needed, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to share.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    tick on a whole bunch of stuff you just said - books, art, craft, gaming (I even play alone by my lonesome with imaginary opponents and NOT cheating when I have no-one to play cards/board games/scrabble with... ). Have been into anime, love me some vampyres and other supernaturals before they started to sparkle in the daytime.

I just don't really have much TIME to do all my old nerdy stuff anymore because life and child has changed situations however, I am finding that as child grows I am getting more time back :) Might even buy me a sewing machine again soon to start crafty stuffing again.

I would like to be Conan, not a pin-up though ;) (not Red Sonja - that's not the same.)
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    PinUpGirlAtHeart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I got a sewing machine for Christmas, but still have no idea what I'm doing. I want to learn how to machine sew, so I can make clothes, costumes, and such. I also need to learn hemming and altering because I'm 4'11 and even the petite sized clothes are too long on me. That plus my weight makes it super hard to find the right clothing for my body. I've only have sewn by hand, but nothing major. Trying to also teach myself how to knit and crochet. I'm into cross stitching.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    As someone who played/plays a lot of video games, my recommendation is to redirect some of the obsession into fitness. It makes life easier.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    As a natural geek, quantifying everything has been my fitness drug. The more data I get, the more I can tune, which makes me happy. I started with a fitbit charge hr, then moved on to a blaze. It tracks my calories burned quite nicely. I use a withings body analyzer, which automatically syncs my weight with mfp, fitbit, happy scale on my phone, and trendweight.com. I can see how the scale's going, and make adjustments based on what I'm eating and what and how I'm burning, and where the scale, fat mass, and lean body mass are headed.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'm a huge geek as well :3 I'm currently working to get into Tomb Raider shape. I used to cosplay her (had like 6 of her outfits...) but I've gotten sooo out of shape. I wasn't super fit to begin with, but she's my current inspiration. I'm hoping to have a new Tomb Raider for Colossalcon 2017.

Now that the weather is starting to cool down I'm hoping to get back into Pokemon Go a bit to motivate myself to walk more. I'm also a member at a CrossFit gym (although I've been off for about 3 weeks due to business trips...).
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    Options
    @LazSommer I use to play the fitness games, but now I have even less room in my small apt. Hm, now that I think about it. I think there's an exercise mode on DDR that use to estimate how many calories you burned. I really miss that game. I absolutely adore that game. I'm gonna have to bust that out soon. That'll be super fun and make me work up a sweat.

@6502programmer I have a fitbit flex. I was thinking of upgrading, but wasn't sure if I should get the hr, something else, or stay with my flex. I love making spreadsheets that automatically calculate the data of things like body fat and how much closer I am to my goal depending on the weight I entered which would hopefully be a loss and not a gain. It also had measurements, water intake, and stuff like that on it. I really should be working an office instead of retail. I think that's my calling. I'm so nerdy that I love office supplies. I really need to get back into tracking everything on spreadsheets again. That would help. Never heard of trendweight.com. I'm gonna have to check that out.

@kandell I absolutely love Tomb Raider and Pokemon! A couple of years ago I made my husband a Charmander cake with the candles placed coming from his mouth and on the tip of his tail, so it looked like he was blowing fire and his tail had some flames, too. I also made him his own special cupcake to go with it that had Gengar on it because that's his absolute favorite pokemon. I can't wait till Sun and Moon come out! I've only got to go one con and I was gonna go as Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service. I had a similar hair cut and I'm kid sized, but it was gonna cost too much and I was on a time crunch, so I ended up just getting a Jiji hoodie which I absolutely adore. It has ears and such on it. I dream of cosplaying other characters, but most of them I don't feel comfortable cosplaying at my weight. I missed the con this year. I was really sad about that when I found out. Someone kept showing me pictures of all that I missed. It's like okay. Thanks for bragging fella.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Also a geek here, of many stripes. My husband and I regularly have tabletop/video game nights with friends, and much yelling ensues. I have about 50 lbs left to go, so I'll be on here for a while. When I'm getting tired or annoyed with a workout (mainly doing weights these days), I channel my renegade FemShep and make the weights my *kitten*. You can add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm sending you a friend request! I'm eclectic too! GO TO NERD FITNESS. You can create a character and level up by finishing fitness quests now! Of course there's a membership you can pay for but there's a lot you can access for free.
  • momofamadhouse
    Options
    Also, I was a costume design and performance theatre major. I get my kicks now by sewing Halloween costumes for my kids. Luckily they're as nerdy as me. I'm not sure how that happened.
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 I wish I had a game night like that. That'd be so much fun. Hell, I'd at least would love to have a group to dnd with like I use to. By the way, I love Doctor Who!

@momofamadhouse I just heard about nerd fitness last night and I'm in love already. I just can't decide what class to pick. I know it won't be warrior or druid, though. There's a website kind of like that called darebee.com that's pretty cool, too. I haven't tried either one, yet. I found darebee thanks to pinterest. I'm a bit obsessed with pinterest. I think I might just have to split my time throughout the week so I can do both. Just another reason to make a chart which makes me happy. I love making charts!
  • momofamadhouse
    Options
    I'm obsessed with pinterest too. I'll check out darebee, I've never heard of that one.