Nursing student venting

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Not sure how you expect to be a nurse (on your feet all day, turning and moving people, doing a very active job) if you don't consider any exercise.....Size (and the health issues that go with it) aside, how do you expect to have the stamina and fitness level a job like that requires?
    You CAN fit in 20 minutes a day, and you can walk to and from classes - wont take that long....And as others said, eating less won't take that much time......It sounds like you are looking for excuses.

Ok so first off that came off kind of rude. I know what the job entails. I was just trying to say that school is very stressful and I try to dedicate every minute I have to it. I don't have any spare time where I just sit and watch tv. Yes I can walk class to class but I can't walk from my house to class... That's a very far distance. I know about the eating part. I'm looking for tips and support. Not criticism. Thanks

I don't have spare time where I just sit and watch tv, either. But I make time for it and if this is important to you then you will, too. That being said, working out is not necessary to lose lbs but it is necessary for fitness. Maybe start out slow by moving a bit more throughout the day. Walk everywhere if you can. Heck, walk in place while you are reading something. Every little bit helps.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Take a break from your studies and go for a short walk every night, earn those extra steps and link it to your MFP diary. Get a cheap fitbit or similar device and see how much steps you can fit in a day. You can add people on here or do little competitions with your friends. Park further away and walk rather than trying to find the closest spot. You don't have to go to the gym!

Going for a walk is not a waste of time either - it's an investment in yourself. There's only so much time you can spend staring at books. Put on a health, nutrition or diet related podcast if you want to continue to learn as you walk. Or, go with your nursing friends at school for a walk at lunch and talk about what you learned in school. You can get audio books in Amazon to listen to that may be related to nursing or just use this time as a mental detox, relax and listen to music.

How's your regular diet, do you find yourself hungry a lot? Are you looking for food advice or just how to fit in a little exercise?
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, I am also a nurse and know what you mean about finding it difficult to fit in exercise around working and training, it's amazing how draining studying is too! There's also the extra challenge of eating on a student budget. Definitely agree with what others have said - you CAN do this! Plan ahead with your meals so you don't end up eating junk when you're busy or tired...and say no to all the treats that always manage to find their way to the staff rooms... maybe treat the weight loss as just another part of your nursing journey. You got this :)
  • Red5092
    Red5092 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm an OR nurse in Neurosurgery. Take this time to get healthy. I'm only trying to lose 9 more pounds, I started out needing to lose 26 lbs. I stand on my feet for almost every minute of those 12 hours most days. Nursing can be hard on the body, and anything you can do to alleviate stress on your joints and feet will help you succeed more. When I was going through nursing school, I would study for 1 hour and then walk on my treadmill for an hour. It helped a lot. After my hour on the treadmill, I would eat something and then resume my studies. It kept me focused and helped with stress levels. Good luck, and best wishes!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I like to study on the treadmill, personally. I actually find it easier to focus on the book if my body is active. You can get a lot of extra steps that way. I multi-task my exercise whenever possible. Heck, I logged 8000 steps last night because I was pacing during a long conference call!
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    OP as a student is an accelerated nursing program I get it. School eats up a huge amount of my time as well, and after hours of lecture and skills lab the last thing I want to do is go to the gym. However I have found that making modifications to my diet has made a difference. Think through portion sizes on food and what specifically you are eating and find something that manages to balance the energy you need for school and clinical rotations with the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. It IS possible! I do encourage getting a little exercise when you can, it doesn't have to mean going to the gym - sometimes my exercise is taking a 10 minute break from studying to walk around the block. 10-15 minutes of exercise can be a great mental health break in the midst of studying. I've also found that bits of exercise here and there that I can fit in help me attain better quality sleep allowing for more energy to accomplish all the tasks of the day.

Thinking of your diet and exercise as being part of your self-care that will allow you to ultimately take better care of your patients may help you feel less guilty about taking time away from your studies to focus on you.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    astrampe wrote: »
    Not sure how you expect to be a nurse (on your feet all day, turning and moving people, doing a very active job) if you don't consider any exercise.....Size (and the health issues that go with it) aside, how do you expect to have the stamina and fitness level a job like that requires?
    You CAN fit in 20 minutes a day, and you can walk to and from classes - wont take that long....And as others said, eating less won't take that much time......It sounds like you are looking for excuses.

Ok so first off that came off kind of rude. I know what the job entails. I was just trying to say that school is very stressful and I try to dedicate every minute I have to it. I don't have any spare time where I just sit and watch tv. Yes I can walk class to class but I can't walk from my house to class... That's a very far distance. I know about the eating part. I'm looking for tips and support. Not criticism. Thanks

Do you work in addition to school, care for children or other family members, etc? Typically a full load at college is considered 18 hours and assumed 2 hours of study per hour in class so that gets you to 52 hours, round up to 60, you have 108 hours left in a week.

Not trying to be mean or judgemental, just suggesting that you take an honest look at how you are spending your time. If you are rrally spending all your time with school and can't find time for anything else you may want to get some help with study skills

As has been mentioned, your diet will be the biggest factor in wright loss, but movement will help with calories burned and general health.

Best of luck.

(I have no idea what your life is like) divided by (Let me make some assumptions) +(I'll make the rest up)= you have 1,000,000 hours left to run a marathon!

Just like you have to focus on your studies, you need to focus a on what you are eating. It is not going to be easy to fight the cravings. But you can do it. You have to do it. Your life and livelihood are depending on it.

My experience with college age kids is that they prefer not to plan too much, but you might consider planning what you are going to eat tomorrow. Planning ahead will show you where your downfalls are. You will find yourself saying I would rather have 4 of these than just 1 of those!

Good luck with all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You've gotten great advice, from people who've successfully lost weight, and kept it off, while managing busy lives.

You're studying to be in health care. I can understand wanting to be healthy. Good for you.

Follow the advice here and aim for way way below a BMI of 35, as 35 is well above the cut off for obese. I'm hoping you meant 25...

You can do it, and have plenty of time. Don't get hung up on "must work out".

ETA: if you're going to have a shake for breakfast, consider switching to a BETTER one with more protein and nutrients. (and look for a better entry for the one you're using, I think it's not correct)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    @CoffeeNCardio has a great point about TV. I walk laps around my apt. Complex while watching on my phone. Since I'm usually watching The Walking Dead, etc. I'm usually told I'm very entertaining to watch and my fellow (human) walkers are very helpful when I hold the phone up and ask "Who just died!?!!? I can't look!"

I also do this with rented movies--makes the time fly for me.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You're making me nervous- I start nursing school on Oct 4 and I have a history of emotional eating (stress eating, particularly). I'm trying to lose 10 pounds, but I'm worried I will end up gaining weight. When I used to be in school, I'd go for a quick run every morning. I would sometimes study on the treadmill or stationary bike with flashcards. I'd walk to school. I'd do squats at home while waiting for dinner to cook. Things like that add up and that's what I plan on doing. Personally, fitness is extremely important to me and I'm not willing to sacrifice it for school. Priorities. Put fitness up there with school.
  • isabcas
    isabcas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OP
    you do need to be in better shape to succeed at your career
    one thing that bugs me about the hospital is staff taking the elevator 1 floor instead of the stairs.. how about starting there...
    my spouse is a Dr and take the stairs all the time
    it's a small thing but way to get some exercise