IF YOU USE SPLENDA

Dave198lbs
Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
If you use Splenda sugar substitute how much daily? any concerns with it?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    If you use Splenda sugar substitute how much daily? any concerns with it?
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    About 1 tbs in my daily coffee. Sometimes more...but not that much. I haven't had any problems with splenda...i like it! :flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I use about 3 packets a day - no problems that I'm aware of. I try to keep my 'fake' sweeteners to a minimum, but haven't cut them out completely.

edit to add:
    I use it in my huge cup of morning coffee.
  • Dave198lbs
    sorry..I also wanted to ask..if you use it , HOW you use Splenda
  • I had been using Slenda regularly for 6 or 8 months. Started being extremely tired and sleepy all the time. Like taking naps on my lunch hour. Read an article in magazine that said it causes brain fog and fatigue in some people. Stopped it about a month ago and am fine now.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member

I use it sparingly (like 1/2 packet a day) in my coffee if I can't get my hands on any good stevia. No problems, but I don't think ANY artificial sweeteners can really be good for you.
  • I use it pretty regularly.

Coffee daily 2-3 teaspoons

Occasionally with my low sugar oatmeal

Strawberries - a must

I bake with it as well. Apple pie is wonderful with Splenda.
    Cookies don't brown as well as with sugar - you have to spray pam on them toward the end of the baking to brown them if you want them pretty- otherwise they taste fine.

Doctor said if I'm having no side effects I'm good to go.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    I use 3-9 packets depending on how much coffee I drink. I haven't had any problems with it and I love it!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member

I use it sparingly (like 1/2 packet a day) in my coffee if I can't get my hands on any good stevia. No problems, but I don't think ANY artificial sweeteners can really be good for you.
    I'm in agreement....Stevia is a much healthier alternative if I want to add some sweetness in my life:wink::bigsmile: I don't think anything artifical can be that good for our bodies... :sick: :frown:

Simply My thoughts on the matter:flowerforyou:
    FC:heart:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Splenda freaks me out.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    I use 3-9 packets depending on how much coffee I drink. I haven't had any problems with it and I love it!

Same here!:drinker:

Everything in moderation.:wink:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    I have used stevia for years but i forgot my packets and used splend a few times. I noteced I was very tired and joints ached so I stay away now.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    The only time I use splenda is when I bake...as a sugar sub and I don't bake much...other than that I like my tea black
  • Dave198lbs
    thanks...I was using honey in my Oatmeal and then started seeing my sugar grams going high and looked for an alternative but even here, and on the web the reviews on the artificial sweeteners are mixed...here some love it, some get freaked by it, but I think the majority say stay with real...I suppose I could learn to like my oatmeal with just the cinnamon...but dang it is a tough duty..

thanks again
  • Oatmeal is good with a pinch of nutmeg for a change of pace!
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    I sometime put jam in my oatmeal...i've also heard of people on here putting PB
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    I mix a packet of Splenda into my unflavored high-protein yogurt in addition to green tea powder or cinnamon.

I started using Splenda almost 10 years ago, and use much less now than I used to - no more than 3 packets per day.

I've never had any problems. The body can respond badly to almost any substance, whether it is natural or not. Last time I checked, Heroin and Cocaine were "natural."
  • Fitness_Chick
    I sometime put jam in my oatmeal...i've also heard of people on here putting PB
    I was afraid at first...not having done it before...:tongue: But I have to say adding in 1 T. of Cashew Butter really gives it a nice touch of protein and a yummy breakfast. :flowerforyou: I can see where jam would add a nice touch, I was going for protein with my oatmeal so I went the nutter butter route.

I just don't recall who shared that idea at some point but I really am grateful that others share their tips for the rest of us! What a great community we have here on MFP:drinker: :wink:

• Is it worth saving 20 calories in a tsp. of honey/agave nectar/maple syrup, to risk the chemical alternative?
    I guess that's the question to ask ourselves.

I just saw a TV advertisement last night for Truvia .. a Stevia based sweetner.
    Here's an article on the release

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/dec/17/business/chi-stevia-sweetener-fda-dec17
  • Fitness_Chick
    Is it worth saving 20 calories in a tsp. of honey/agave nectar/maple syrup, to risk the chemical alternative?
    I guess that's the question to ask ourselves.

I just saw a TV advertisement last night for Truvia .. a Stevia based sweetner.
    Here's an article on the release

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/dec/17/business/chi-stevia-sweetener-fda-dec17
    Thanks I've seen those commercials recently as well...I'll check out that website addy you shared this evening. Appreciate it Dave:happy:

This discussion has been closed.