Eating less than 1200calories to eating 1200+ calories?

Options
Please don't tell me that eating less than 1200 calories puts me in starvation mode. I know, and I've heard this many times. It's not what I'm asking about.

I eat when I'm hungry & I don't force myself to eat when I'm not. If I need food my body will tell me & then I go eat something.

I usually eat around 800 calories a day & don't eat back my exercise calories. I've been losing weight & I'm happy with that.

I was wondering if I start eating 1200 calories (mainly because now I'm burning at least 300 calories a day by exercise.) if that will help me to lose more weight, or if that will slow down my weight-loss.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Even though you don't want to hear the phrase "starvation mode" I am saying it anyway since I am assuming you want a truthful answer. You will likely lose weight faster if you eat 1200 calories a day. Since you are very likely in starvation mode, your body is clinging on to all the calories it can since you are malnourished.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could plan to gradually increase it. The only way you will know is to try it, and see if you can continue losing at a satisfactory rate. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I also should have added, make sure you are taking a multivitamin since it is impossible to get all of the vitamins and nutrients your body needs to function on so few calories. If not you'll probably end up with brittle nails, hair, etc.
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would think so but each person is different if I was you I would try it for 1 month and see if it makes a difference if not go back to what you was doing. I say a month because that way you have four solid weeks of information to use to compare to what you were doing before. Remember not everyone can do the same you got to try new things and see what works for you so give it a try whats it gonna hurt if you see weight gain then stop and go back to before.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There is no way for anyone to answer this question for you. You have to do what works for you and remember that losing more than 2 pounds a week on average is usually considered unhealthy.

I would suggest trying this idea for a few weeks and see what happens. 1 week won't be enough so I would suggest at least 3-4 weeks to see what happens. The program has to be tweaked for each person so do what works for you. Good luck!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    if i were you i would eat 1200 one day then go back down to like 900 or whatever.. just zig zag them then slowly increase the 900 up to 1200.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Even though you don't want to hear the phrase "starvation mode" I am saying it anyway since I am assuming you want a truthful answer. You will likely lose weight faster if you eat 1200 calories a day. Since you are very likely in starvation mode, your body is clinging on to all the calories it can since you are malnourished.

Lol that's fine that you said it. I just didn't want someone to post just to scold me about it. But what you said was more than just "don't do that". You actually gave me advice & reason.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You might see a temporary slow down. But I've heard so many people say that when they upped their calories to 1200, they started losing again. I say give it an honest try (at least a month so your body can adjust) and see how it goes.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Self experimentation is a good way to find out for yourself. Try upping your calories for 2-3 weeks, and continue your measurements. See what happens. Above all, please come back to us with your evidence one way or the other.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories WILL allow you to lose weight for a period of time. However, eventually too large of a deficit WILL catch up to you and your weight loss will slow down or even stop.

Raising your calories may cause you to see a temporary gain as your body adjusts to getting more calories. However, after the initial gain - you'll likely start to see a loss and likely at a better rate than when you're in the "starvation" diet.
  • katied9730
    Options
    Add olive oil to a meal... Sneak in some extra calories somehow... Eat food that's higher in calories. You''ll still continue to lose weight if you exercise. Your body needs at least 1200 cal. to function properly.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    With all this are you talking net Calories or Food consumed Calories ?
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Add olive oil to a meal... Sneak in some extra calories somehow... Eat food that's higher in calories. You''ll still continue to lose weight if you exercise. Your body needs at least 1200 cal. to function properly.

Honestly I think 1200 calories is just a general rule. Someone who is 300lbs and someone 100lbs can't be told the same thing, that just wouldn't make sense. I've heard Drs say that if you overweight by so much than your body stores fat and you can eat less because of the fat it feeds off of.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    With all this are you talking net Calories or Food consumed Calories ?

Sorry, I'm not sure what the difference it. I mean all the calories that are consumed by the end of the day. I don't eat back exercise calories. (if that helps answer your question
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    If you don't eat the required calories, your body will eat the muscle before it eats the fat. You will end up with a higher fat composition.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i raised my calories from 1200 to 1600 and i started losing like crazy. i think that if you are okay with eating 800 calories a day and you're not hungry, it's because you've trained your body and your metabolism to be that way. eat the recommended 1200 calories a day and see what happens after a couple weeks. as long as you're raising your calories with HEALTHY food, you shouldn't see a decrease in weight loss. unless you are under 5' tall, i don't think you should be "ok" with eating under 1200 calories every day for long periods of time.

good luck :)
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry your body will look for fuel. If you're fat, it will start 'eating away' at the fat stores. If you're slim, it'll go for the muscle (due to the lack of fat) which is why crash dieting is so dangerous.

Can I ask, what do you eat to be able to stick to 800 calories a day? I struggle to stick to 1200 so I've been exercising every day.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    When you're hungry your body will look for fuel. If you're fat, it will start 'eating away' at the fat stores. If you're slim, it'll go for the muscle (due to the lack of fat) which is why crash dieting is so dangerous.

Can I ask, what do you eat to be able to stick to 800 calories a day? I struggle to stick to 1200 so I've been exercising every day.

I think my diary is open to everyone if you want to take a look. But don't look at yesterday because I didn't feel good. I don't really eat any junk food, only thing I eat that's "bad" is blue bunny fat free vanilla. Taste better than the regular to me.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can try zig-zagging. Like eating 800 for a day or two, then eating 1500 (arbitrary number I made up, eat what ever makes you satisfied) for a day or two. It keeps the metabolism guessing and helps prevent your body from acclimating and plateauing so you lose the weight at a more steady pace than doing it piece-wise (like stair steps), especially when you combine this with exercise. I'm all about eating when you're hungry to you're full. Don't just eat to eat, that gets people in just as much trouble as forcing yourself to eat nothing.

If you have enough body fat, 800 calories a day is ok. Heck, if you're BMI is only 25 (like mine and you have some spare weight, not like a body builder who's bmi is 25 but they're only 12 percent fat) doctors at Kaiser Permanete say you are eligible to do the Novartis Optifast 800, which is only 800 calories a day (drinking the liquid shakes 5 times a day). In Optifast, you're getting in all the vitamins and minerals your body needs, so as long as you take a multi-vitamin you should be a-ok.

You can always get some whey protein shakes to add extra cals and much needed proteins when you don't feel like eating. Muscle Milk regular has 32 g of protein per serving and 300 calories and only a few grams of carbs. It also has enough fat in it where you can take a multivitamin with it and not feel sick. Muscle Milk is also one of the more tastier brands of shakes and gives you a high bang for your buck. I've been drinking their 27 g protein shakes (130 cals per serving) they sell at Costco and my back, hips and thighs have been getting more toned (even though I gained a couple of lbs, but I think this is muscle gain). Plus it satisfies my craving for sweets and chocolate!

EDIT: if you're looking for a meal replacement shake, consider caesin powder (also milk derived). It's much more slow absorbing than whey. Whey isolate and concentrate absorb in my stomach fast. I can feel it 15 minutes after I drink it. Gives me energy with out the jitters of vitamin B complex or caffeine.
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just had a look - I noticed that on quite a few days you skipped a meal...is that accurate or did you just not fill them in?