Working out when you have a cold?

Options
So cold and flu season is upon us again and like clockwork I have a cold. Yesterday it started off with a sore throat, I worked out anyway with no problem, today however its in full swing with running nose, sneezing cold shivers. I am wondering should I even attempt it tonight or leave it until the cold has gone, although I want to work out I don't think my heart will be in it and it will be half assed effort. What do you do with a cold? Push through or leave it until feeling better?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I will usually do low intensity workouts when sick. You want to get some movement to encourage your cardiovascular system and lymphatic system to move and help get rid of the cold, but you don't want to do anything so stressful that you are compromising your immune system. Walking, maybe some light weights or low impact cardio, whatever you feel you can do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    So cold and flu season is upon us again and like clockwork I have a cold. Yesterday it started off with a sore throat, I worked out anyway with no problem, today however its in full swing with running nose, sneezing cold shivers. I am wondering should I even attempt it tonight or leave it until the cold has gone, although I want to work out I don't think my heart will be in it and it will be half assed effort. What do you do with a cold? Push through or leave it until feeling better?

Id leave it. Go for a walk if you want to do something
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the fact that you're probably contagious the general rule is that if it's above the neck you're probably ok to exercise (do something light / lower intensity), if it's in your chest take some time off.

If you're working out at a gym stay home either way.
  • hec1985
    hec1985 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Take some coldeeze or zinc lozenges. I got a cold last week and starting taking some and I was back at it in a couple days
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever skipped the gym because I was sick. Unless you're bedridden you'll be fine. A little cold isn't going to hurt you.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you have a home gym as a "little xold" might not hurt you but could kill someone who is immunosuppressed.
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever skipped the gym because I was sick. Unless you're bedridden you'll be fine. A little cold isn't going to hurt you.