holidays approaching us

Options
Anyone else out there feeling the pressure of holiday overeating. Pumpkin is my favorite this time of year it seems like once it hits the store and restaurants I can't avoid it!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Mmmm pumpkin pie! Make your own and know the calorie content, eat a little slice and make it fit into your day!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1. Holidays are occasions...none of this is predicated on occasions...all of this is predicated on what you're doing most of the time.
    2. Lose the mindset that holidays mean stuffing your face without abandon...enjoy yourself...maybe indulge a bit more than you normally would...but you don't have to stuff your face until your pants are splitting. Learning self control is a good thing...there are always going to be holidays and birthdays and other special occasions...you need to learn self control.
  • lynnec39
    lynnec39 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Losing the mindset of holiday indulging great tip thanks!
  • lynnec39
    lynnec39 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Mmmm pumpkin pie! Make your own and know the calorie content, eat a little slice and make it fit into your day!

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. This is my third season at this. I'll indulge on Thanksgiving (not overboard...probably about 2000-2500 calories total), and take a diet break the week of Christmas. Otherwise? I work the foods I want into my goals, just like I do the rest of the year. I'll buy a small pie at my store early on, and then we get our pies for the holiday from a local butcher shop that has the best baked goods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lynnec39 wrote: »
    Losing the mindset of holiday indulging great tip thanks!

Losing the mindset that these occasions and events are a license to just pig out...yes, enjoy yourself...but it's been pretty well ingrained in most of us that these events and whole seasons worth of events are just a license to be glutenous pigs.

Nothing much for me changes during the holiday season...I have my training plan and I eat the same as I eat most of the year...I might have a larger plate of food on the actual holiday itself...but I don't treat the entire three months as this big excuse to just pig out.

Thanksgiving rolls around and I will usually have a larger serving than I might normally have...but I'm not going back for seconds and thirds, etc...I also plan those days out to include smaller meals (if any) earlier in the day. Same for Christmas.

I also have a variety of fitness events I participate in this time of year to remind me that my fitness doesn't stop just because Santa Claus is coming to town soon...I usually have a 50-100 mile bike ride right around Halloween (depending on the mileage I choose)...if we're in Tuscon visiting family for Thanksgiving I will do the Tour de Tuscon...and home or away my wife and I usually do a Turkey trot on Thanksgiving day. There are also some fun cycling events and running events in December that are Christmas themed...these days I tend to associate the season with these things more than I do all of the food, etc.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I'm less worried about the holidays which are at most a couple days of overeating, and more worried about the generally heavier, high calorie dinners my husband and I tend to consume when it's cold out.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Technically, the "holidays, are 3 days in the next 3 months- not much harm can come from 3 days of overeating. The real problem is the season -- it gets colder, piles of crap food start showing up in baskets at the office and it's generally a more social time of year. Willpower and restraint are the keys to running the gauntlet of overindulgence. I'm saying this to myself more than you OP.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    The toughest months of the year start soon. I got a SAD light for Christmas last year, I'm hoping that will help.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Mentally preparing myself now. In the past I have failed miserably, but now I am planning to win! Maintenance for the weekend of Thanksgiving, one day is very unrealistic for me. Christmas, I will endulge for the day as I keep reminding myself (I am Not a dog, I do Not have to eat just because it's there). My son's Bday- I will enjoy a piece of Birthday cake. All other days I am sticking to my calorie goal and Will see the results :) . This is my new attitude. I do Not want to be another New Year Weight Resolution Statistic again!!! Good luck to you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Heh, it's so odd for me as an Australian, seeing posts like this. Over here, pumpkin is a vegetable. Nothing is pumpkin flavoured and it isn't associated with any holiday.

Having lived in the States, I totally get it, and I love pumpkin pie but it's still weird.

Over here I'm excited that its coming into salad and BBQ weather!