Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Mashed Cauliflower recipe

Crystel22
Crystel22 Posts: 237 Member
I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for mashed cauliflower? I wanted to try this as an alternative to mashed potatoes.

Thanks!!!:happy:

Replies

• CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    I would love a good one as well!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    i am curious as well =) my husband (who hates anything good for you) told me he would actually try it =)
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    try the www.hungrygirl.com website.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    I just steam the cauliflower and add a little salt. I steam it until it is really really soft. Then I just use a potato masher (don't know the right name of utensil!) It will be the consistency of mashed potatoes. Then I add a little spray butter.

I also sometimes add garlic. I put garlic on everything!

The best part is my kids love it and they don't know its cauliflower : )
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    i steam my cauliflower, then I put it in my food processor with some garlic and a wedge or two of Laughing Cow cheese, some paremesean cheese, and peper. You may want to add a dash of chicken broth to liquify it some. So delish!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    1 Medium head of cauliflower
    2-3 russet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled (your preference)
    2 tblspoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    S&P to taste

Chop potatoes into chunks and cauliflower into florets. Place potatoes in cold water and bring to a boil, with enough water to eventually add the cauliflower. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add cauliflower. Let simmer for 20 minutes or so, until veggies are tender. Strain, put back in pot, and use a potato masher to mash together, adding in the remaining ingredients.

Delish!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I prepare them just as would mashed potatoes. Cook the cauliflower until soft enough to mash (I either boil, steam or microwave it) will work. Add a little salt, pepper, canned skim milk (my alternative to cream because it's thicker than regular milk but still fat free), and a little healthy fat (I usually use a mix of Benecol and olive oil). Then mash it. I like to use an immersion blender to make it really smooth.

roasted garlic is a good addition, or add less milk and add reduced fat sour cream and chives. Yummy!
  • Carek99
    Carek99 Posts: 25 Member
    We also mix cauliflower and potatoes for a more healthy than mashed potatoes hybrid. If you have a steamer, you can boil the potatoes in the bottom pan and steam the cauliflower. When the potatoes are ready for mashing so is the cauliflower. Add a small amount of salt and margarine along with some garlic.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I do the same--steam it, but then put in the blender, with a little water so that it has enough liquid to mash.

Then puree.

When it's done, it's amazing w/just a little sea salt and pepper if you like it. I like adding a drop of truffle oil or olive oil, and fresh grated Parmesan.

So amazing, easy and good for you. My 6 year old loves it too.
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    I was just thinking about finding this recipe. Thanks all.
  • tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    i steam my cauliflower, then I put it in my food processor with some garlic and a wedge or two of Laughing Cow cheese, some paremesean cheese, and peper. You may want to add a dash of chicken broth to liquify it some. So delish!

Love the laughing cow idea!
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    bump
  • Crystel22
    Crystel22 Posts: 237 Member
    Thanks for all of your ideas. I will be trying some of these soon. :happy:
  • mommy2b2
    mommy2b2 Posts: 43
    Bump
  • StLGranE
    StLGranE Posts: 5
    I've not tried this recipe, but will give it a try. This is from "Gina's weight watchers recipes" website. If you make it, let us know.

Creamy Cauliflower Purée
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pt
    Calories: 60.7 • Fat: 2.4 g • Protein: 3.7 g • Carb: 8.6 g • Fiber: 4.2 g

Ingredients:

1 medium head cauliflower, cut up into florets
    4 cloves crushed garlic
    1/3 cup 1% buttermilk
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbsp light butter

Directions:

Steam or boil cauliflower and garlic until soft. Drain, add buttermilk, light butter, salt, pepper and purée with a hand blender. If you don't own a hand blender, you should consider getting one. It is one of my most used gadgets in my kitchen, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. A regular blender would work fine as well.
  • Can't wait to try. I like the mixing it with potatoes idea...maybe then I can sneak it past my husband. :wink: