Questions about 30 day shred, pretty please if you can help

Options
I have been trying to search for my answers, but so far have not found them. If anyone can answer any of my questions, it will really help!

1. Is only doing the 30 day shred daily enough to lose weight (if eating well) or is more cardio needed?
I ask this because I am trying to throw in what I usually do and I cannot do the same with the shred involved.

2. I had started the shred to add strength training of some kind, is this enough to get me started? I am using 3lb weights per hand, and do not want to bulk or anything like that.

3. I know this is supposed to help tone up, but does it help for us that are overweight and not skinny?

4. I think I understand that you are supposed to do 10 days of each level, but is there a break day? Is there any reason to move on to level 2 after 10 days or can you stay on level 1 longer?

5. While doing the shred, how long after you start can you weigh yourself? I ask because I have read that the scale can go up before it goes down, and that is the LAST thing I need at the moment, to get frustrated when I have been pushing myself.. lol

I think that is all I have about the shred. Thank you kindly. My husband cannot believe I have come so far since March and actually want to do something other than plain cardio. I want to do this and need to do this! :):):)

Replies

• fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You go! I'm proud of you!

I can answer some of your questions. Days off--although Jillian doesn't say it, you should take at least 1 if not 2 rest days per week. (She does say this on her Ripped in 30 dvd).

Ypu can stay on the level as long as you want--basically, stay on it until it is no longer the challenge it onve was and you feel you need a new one.

You won't bulk up, you'll firm up, but eventually, you'll progress to the point where you need a set of heavier weights, too. (5, 8, 10 and even 12 for the chest flyes).

I don't do any extra strength training or cardio training other than Jillian Michaels' DVDs. I kind of want to see what kind of results I get just from doing DVDs as I don't have a lot of time. I'll keep you posted.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    1. Yes for some people it is enough, for me it was not. Partly because my body is used to more.
    2. Definitely enough to get you started.
    3. Yes.
    4. 10 Days at each level is just a suggestion. I took 1 break day in each level, not everyone does. Take it at your pace, when you are ready to go to level 2 do so. Nobody will care if it takes you 60 days.
    5. I didn't weigh myself for a week, that being said I noticed more in my toning than I did on actual lbs lost.

Good luck! Mind over matter.
  • jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Doing the 30 day shred should be done every day if possible without breaks - especially since they are relatively short exercises. I say if you are doing the 30 day shred and monitoring your calories, that should be enough. Remember, losing weight is all about calories taken in for the day so if you are maintaining a good ratio of calories in / calories out then you should continue to lose. You will not bulk up with 3 lb weights. To tone you use light weights (3-8ish) and do more reps, if you want to bulk you use heavier weights and less reps. 30 day shred is already aimed at toning with multiple reps and lighter weights so you'll be fine. As you are losing weight you will tone as well, even if you are overweight now. The scale will fluctuate - it always does! As you gain muscle or experience soreness you are probably going to weigh more. Hope that kind of helps!!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the shred (albeit intermittently at times) and have some observations- they may not all apply to you.
    - I had been on a plateau for about a month. I changed my setting from lightly active to sedentary and started the shred, and scale started moving down again.
    -I'm using 3lb weights too, for the same reason, i bulk up really quickly. I think adding any weight in counts as a start, right?
    -I am quite overweight, but really noticed a difference with toning in my arms and legs with the shred. My arms look a lot less floppy, and actually seem to feel firmer to me.
    -Don't know about the break day, though with my situation, real life inserted a few more break days than I would have liked :P I think it's good to move on to the next level, it includes different exercises, and is tougher, and pushes your body more. And helps with the boredom issue. Though, I will admit, if I've been off a few days, I will do level 1 again to get back into it.
    -i would just weigh on your regular days, maybe a week or so in, after you've started, and your body has had a chance to acclimatize. Weight may go up a bit, from muscles holding water to help rebuild, or your weight may be down. I don't think it works the same for everyone, you just have to see how your body reacts to it.
  • Floricienta
    Floricienta Posts: 209
    Options
    I think if you keep a clean diet, stay within your calories each day and do the Shred as your only workout you will see results. It's only 20 min but it's given me results, more than when I was working 1+ hours at the gym 4-5 times a week, but also that has to do with the fact that I ate way too much back then because I felt extremely hungry after working out. You should definitely give it a try and see what works for you, you can do some more cardio on top of the shred to maximize your results I think. I say don't take any breaks in between and stay commited to it. It's only 20 min after all!!! Good luck!
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here's what i know:
    1. i used the 30 day shred as my main workout for 30 days. my weight loss stayed consistant to what i was losing with basically just cardio (about 1 pound a week). i have seen some SERIOUS results from other users on here, but i can't say what other workouts they were including in their program.
    2. it is enough to get you started in strenght training, b/c i just read that she designed the program to work your muscles hard, but not overtax them ...that is why you can do the program on consecutive days, rather than having to skip days in between. i think i used 3- 5 pound weights, too...i tended to use the 5 pounders on the moves that i felt stronger on. you want to feel muscle fatigue, otherwise the weights are too light. you won't bulk up, though.
    3. it helps everyone tone up, it's just that the 'skinnier' people will notice faster b/c they have less fat layer...but those muscles are workig and toning underneath, and you'll start to see them!
    4. the purpose of the levels is for you to progress when you're ready. i would recommend trying the next level after 10 days...if it's too hard, go back to the lower level until you're ready. go at your pace.
    5. as far as weighing yourself...i don't have an answer for that. if you think you'll be discouraged...wait a couple weeks?
    i liked doing the shred dvd...a 30 minute workout that makes me sweat and actually feel like i've had a good workout is AWESOME in my book!!
    good luck!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you're watching your calories, you technically don't need any exercise to lose weight... You just need a calorie deficit. That being said, the 30 Day Shred should be plenty if you continue to stick to your food plan. You should notice a difference in the way your muscles feel and your strength after just a few days. When I started it, I was only using 2 lb weights, so whatever you use should be fine, as long as it's a challenge. I would keep doing level one until it becomes "easy."

One more suggestion about that video - Jillian will start to annoy you pretty quickly. After a few days, when you get a feel for the order of things, I'd turn the volume down and listen to your own music. It's so much more motivating and makes the workout much easier to complete.

Good luck!
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't do the Shred on it's own, I do other exercise (kickboxing) and then I do The Shred on days that I don't kickbox. I don't think it really matters how long it takes you or when you decide to move up to the next level. Just take it at your own pace.

As someone else said, I think if you stick to your calories, eat healthily and do the Shred this should be enough to make the scales go down.

I was always told not to weigh yourself more than once a week as your weight will fluctuate from day to day for many, many reasons. If you weigh yourself once a week, always at the same time and wearing similar things, this should give you an accurate reading.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    1.It might be a difference answer for everyone, but i'm on Level 1 Day 8 & I've lost 5lbs so far.

2. 3lb should be fine. I'm using 5lbs and it's almost too hard to do. I have to stop with arm raises because the weights are too heavy.

3. I'm 208lbs and I'm already seeing a big difference in "ribcage" area!

4. You can stay on level 1 under you're ready for level 2. If you're not sure if you're ready after 10 days you can always try level 2, and if it's too hard, you can stick with level 1 for a few more days. Whatever makes you comfortable.

5. I weigh myself every day (mainly to keep myself in check). I don't think I started to notice weight loss until day 4.
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the wonderful replies. I really REALLY appreciate them and the time to reply with what you all know from experience. Finished day 4 and thought, what have I gotten myself into. hehe