chocolate milk?

Options
I have recently heard that chocolate milk is supposed to be better for you than water after working out. Is their any truth to this or is this just another way for the milk companies to boost sales?

Replies

• MelodAngel
    MelodAngel Posts: 27
    Options
    I've heard it too, something about the combination having a way to help heal your muscles. I have been trying to drink a medium glass of skim milk after I go for a hike :) If nothing else, it's protein and it's delicious lol
  • Gabby215
    Gabby215 Posts: 69
    Options
    My sister's nutritionist told her to drink milk after workouts. She was drinking a protein shake but the nutritionist said she would rather see my sis drink something more natural and that milk had the right combo of macros that her body needed after a workout. My sis lost 60 pounds just exercising and following the nutritionist's instructions so whenever she mentions something the nutritionist says, I listen!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    studies have shown that drinking milk after a workout will help your body recover quicker. Chocolate milk is nice but it has a lot of sugar. i think you're better off drinking some 1% or skim milk. Probalby the 1% would be better because then you're getting some essential fats as well.
  • marniehodges
    marniehodges Posts: 264
    Options
    True! Anyway, it is according to a nutritionist and several trainers I've talked to. So drink up :drinker:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yeah milk is great! Some protein and a little carbs after your workout is good.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's the combo of protein and carbs, which is why you need chocolate (for the sugar). I know when I would drink chocolate milk after I first started running, I didn't get sore the next day. Plus, I always looked forward to that little treat...way more than a (kind of gross) protein shake.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have recently heard that chocolate milk is supposed to be better for you than water after working out. Is their any truth to this or is this just another way for the milk companies to boost sales?

Chocolate Milk is a great recovery drink after working out. You should still drink water to be hydrated though. The Chocolate Milk has a good source of protein and carbs that the body needs after exercising.
  • eamjohnson
    eamjohnson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    According to one study, "athletes who drank low-fat chocolate milk after a hard workout (as opposed to those who drank sports beverages with just carbohydrates) developed more muscle and less fat, as well as improved workout times."

There are others studies out there showing similar results, I believe.

Here's an article which discusses this in more detail: http://lifehacker.com/5815625/the-best-post+exercise-drink-chocolate-milk