You're kidding, you want me to each 1740 calories?

Options
(my 1st post and I mess up the "topic" it should read "eat 1740 calories" not each!..I'm such a newb!!!)

Hi everyone! This is my first post here :) I'm a 25 year old male who works at a desk job and late hours (work from 4pm-midnight)

I started using my fitness pal.com for almost a week now and I don't understand how to eat all these calories! 1740 calories ...are you kidding me? YIKES!

I know I'm not an over eater and I don't eat a lot in one sitting (I actualy avoid buffets because it's a waste of money! I get one plate and I'm stuffed!) when I go to McDonalds I'll order off the value menu and get full while my spouse can have a double big mac supersize fires and still be hungry!

I don't understanding how to eat all these calories. You can check out my diary (sorry, there are a few days I forgot to track, I'm still new at this!)

I get up at 10am (I work lates)
eat lunch at noon
go to gym
eat supper at work @ 8pm (usually microwave meal)
grab a snack of a Fiber1 bar, kellogs bar or maybe chips
get home at 12:30am from work, maybe grab a snack
go to bed at 2am.

I don't have enough time in the day to eat what it says.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Can someone give me a boost so I know I'm not useless. I never thought I'd beed to eat more, I always thought less. Urgh, this is not going to be easy.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Drink more milk, eat more nuts, pasta, avocados, hummus. There are many things you can eat that will bring up your cals fast.
    I just checked your food diary are you kiddin me? Is everything logged in?
  • hardenedheartx
    hardenedheartx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wake up earlier so they you can have breakfast. Not only will that add calories, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it gets your metabolism going.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Add a good breakfast when you get up in the morning, even if you're not that hungry. It'll start up your metabolism and help you reach your calorie goal.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My other half adds two table spoons of olive oil to one of his meals each day to get the 'good fats' which adds an 239 calories
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    Greek yogurt fills me up and would add some additional calories to your diet. Add it as a snack or eat it at breakfast in a smoothie with berries/bananas (yum!). You could also add special K protein bars/shakes. I like the bars, they are actually pretty tasty. Hope this helps! :)
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Is there any reason you want to eat all the calories? What you eat is more important (eat quality calories) rather than how many. If you're hungry, then maybe adjust your meals to be more filling and long lasting.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you eat low calories but don't lose weight it may be what you're eating rather than how much? If you're not hungry, don't eat just to make up the calories, you'll just increase your appetite.

Try eating healthier rather than more/less!
    Get rid of the microwave meals - when you have time at home make something healthy that can be microwaved. Make your own convenience food! So yeah just make sure you're eating "healthy" and have a balanced diet.
    Also, fruit and stuff.Just snack at your desk! Even if it's against the rules :p And you should have something to eat after the gym, something fairly big.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You know, eating such a low number of calories can put you into starvation mode and you won't lose weight, and possibly gain.....I did exactly that because I wasn't eating enough. Your 1740 calories shouldn't be difficult to do at all....eat more protein and the 'good fat" like olive oil and avocado, and lots of fruits......you'll see the numbers go up and you should begin to see the changes....your body needs the calories to function and burn off the weight.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    First off, what did you set your 'lifestyle' at? Mine tells me I should eat 1860 but I work as a carpenter. That seems like a pretty high calorie need for someone who doesn't have a real active lifestyle unless your really tall. I see your goal is 55 pounds so you might want to go back and look at your initial settings
  • WidgetSS23
    WidgetSS23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You definitely need more protein in your diet, especially since you're working out. EAT BREAKFAST EAT BREAKFAST EAT BREAKFAST.... And make your breakfast between 400-500 calories... Egg whites are easy to make and a great source of protein. Packet of oatmeal, 2 egg whites and a fresh fruit smoothie is something I go with that seems to work. And AVOID the microwave meals. Good luck! :-)
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    You need a nice big protien shake or something your not eating enough calories to sustain you much less after you work out!!
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    LOL! You think 1740 is lots?
    Try eating 4000! And I am small! Big guys that train hard for competitive sport have to eat 5-6000 plus!
    And believe me after a long hard training session I do not feel like eating too much! Nor I want unhealthy foods either.

Is all about learning what good foods you can choose from, plan your meals and be reasonably disciplinate!

Sick with it and you will see great results!

Best of luck!
  • lizajanetoo
    lizajanetoo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am not entirely sure the calcuator is correct all the time. It told me to eat almost 2000 cals. a day. Yeah not gonna happen.

I am having trouble getting to the goals my doc and I set let alone the ones from ths site.

I eat plenty and don't feel hungry or deprived at all.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no problems eating 1700 - 2000 calories. I shooting for 1700 ish today. I've already got my planned dinner in my diary.
  • pilotboy1985
    pilotboy1985 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!
    Okay, so I got some GREAT idea's!

Fruit, that's a good idea. I'll try and eat fruit every day at work.
    Nuts, while a good idea I always thought they were bad for you? I like Cashew, Macadamia, and Pistachio.

I eat those Healthy Steamer Meals at work, anyone ever have them before? I find them filling and good for me.

Someone mentioned maybe 1740 was wrong. umm, maybe it is? I dunno. I'm 6 foot 1, I signed up for the gym and I go three times a week, sometimes four. I use a treadmill at 3mph for 1 hour, then the next day I'll swim for an hour, then next day treadmil again, just to spice it up.

It's 5pm my time (I live in Eastern Canada) and all I've had is lunch which was a chicken asian salad I made myself.
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, try changing up what you eat, so that your balance between carbs, protein, and fat is better distributed. Also, as someone who works 3 pm-11 pm shifts, I find that I do better to wake up between 7 and 8 am, eat breakfast, do my errands and exercise, and then go to work, where I eat lunch and dinner, along with a few snacks in between, then get home and go to bed relatively soon thereafter. I used to have trouble going to sleep right after getting home, but now that I've gotten in the routine, it happens fairly quickly (asleep by between midnight and 1 am); also, don't know what you do for work, but I'm in an ER, and still manage to wind down quickly enough to get to bed.
  • iggylove123
    Options
    I was put on 1740 calories too! I'm 5'9.5" and weigh 179 (down from 200). My goal is to get down to 170! I eat Wonderful Roasted and Salted Almonds (they come in different varieties) and they're actually quite good for you! Nuts, while highish in fat, contain good fats! a quarter of a cup is 180 calories with only 6g carbs, 4g fiber, 16g fat where only 1g is saturates and 4g are polyunsaturated! My Dad eats them a lot because he's on Atkins! Add in breakfast, like some light string cheese (low in carbs!) and light yogurt! And Cinnamon Life Multigrain Cereal! I love it! It's low in sugar! The calories add up fast :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat 1740 calories now how did you get 55 lbs overweight? Don't try to live on "diet" food. Eat what you did before in smaller quantities. My budget is 1350 and I would have no problem getting 1700 in during a day.