Improving my running

Options
I'm relatively new to running, I started the C25K app in March/April and completed my first 5k ever in July after being a lifelong non-runner. I'm slow and totally fine with that, but I get self conscious about not improving faster on my distances, which then affects my run.

I honestly have no real desire to get up to 10k or half marathon distances, but I'd like to be able to consistently run a 5k distance. As of now, I go a couple times a week and go for 30 or so minutes (which usually translates to around 2 miles.) I go 45 minutes from time to time, but find I am either letting my head get in the way or I feel like I'm running out of gas - either way, the run isn't pleasant and I feel like most of it is a struggle.

I've noticed I am getting a little faster, so that's cool, but this week was frustrating when I set out to do 3.5 miles and called it done at 2.7, I let my head get in the way, then I convinced myself that I couldn't do it and felt defeated.

Do I just keep going and building up my cardio strength? Should I go onto the c210k app to help improve?

I don't know if it matters, but I live in a very hilly area and at an elevation of 6000'. I'm wondering if the elevation might be a factor as well.

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As a runner, the mistake I see people make is the idea that the only way to train is continuous running. I got better on a treadmill starting with run walk sets and each segment might be as short as a minute. Then just build from there. You can go longer and you can go faster because of each rest set.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I like doing intervals where I run 6 min, walk 1 min. It also makes it more interesting. I was alternating that with a full length run (2-3 miles) before my 5k a few weeks ago and managed to run the whole race.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I did c25k - then 5-10k because I found the apps kept me learning- setting goals-then got rock my run app- love that app-watch some great utube videos on running- what the heck is a "tempo run "anyways?!?! Looked it up ...

I'm like you very new to this ( started last March) and a life long " non-runner" & I too live in a lot hills- hard going up right
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady. You're doing it right (and, head been noted, could even help your cause with some cross training). On your next trip to flat sea level, you're going to slay on your morning/evening run.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Focus on the time of your run and not speed. Slower, longer distances over time will increase your speed and stamina to go fast for whatever distance you choose. To run a consistent 5K, shoot for about 10 miles per week at a comfortable pace (2 Miles or so x 5 Days a week). When you are comfortable doing this, add a little bit of speed work (periods within your run where you try to run harder) to increase your speed.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    Thanks @richardgavel

@lorrpb yeah, I'm thinking I might go back to intervals to see how that helps. :)

@Heirgreat now I need to google a tempo run lol

@Dano74 I'm looking forward to that, all that air!!!

@DaveC29 cool. I've been focusing mostly on time (frankly, my running attention span maxes at 30-45 minutes, so I get in as much as I can in those times) but I'm not doing it often enough. Thanks.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    fartlek's! woohoo! My enemy that makes me faster! There are many "plans" out there. Speed comes from "speed training" hills, intervals, sprints, fartlek's ect. Endurance is built with all of those plus tempo's, stamina runs and increased mileage at a rate of no more than 10% per week (only when you can comfortably handle your current load for a week or two). For examply if you run 10 miles a week.,Next week it will go up to 11. I don't do runs within 2 days of a hard run workout or a long work out. Take the time in between to bike and or body weight training. But most of all DO NOT STRESS IT! Running is fun, don't make it a chore :)
  • rdmercado
    rdmercado Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi running peeps, I'm scheduled for a couple of 5k's in the upcoming months and a 1/2 in February. When should I step off the treadmill and pound the pavement? I'm averaging 4-6 mile runs about 3-4 times a week.

Thanks,
    Ruben
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    rdmercado wrote: »
    Hi running peeps, I'm scheduled for a couple of 5k's in the upcoming months and a 1/2 in February. When should I step off the treadmill and pound the pavement? I'm averaging 4-6 mile runs about 3-4 times a week.

Thanks,
    Ruben

now. Or better still, run off-road. It's kinder to your joints and running outside gives you a better experience of wind and temperature etc. You may find you can run further outside.

You are already at a good stage running wise, and there should be no reason apart from personal choice why you don't go outside. Word of warning though - if testing out trails, aim for time not distance, trails with uneven terrain will challenge you (in a fun way)

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks,
    Ruben

not to hijack this thread, but you are not on pavement yet?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

Thanks,
    Ruben

You should create your own thread. You will get better responses and not hijack some one else's responses.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    when ever you feel like it! I do a lot of work on the treadmill ( and it includes tempo runs upwards of 10 miles), not my favorite but it helps with a lot of technical issues. Go hit the pavement feel the difference. How do your knee's feel, how about your back, ankles ect? Good? Then do it again. I would lower your mileage the first few times out just to get a gauge on how your body will react. Good Luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Running longer yet a manageable pace will help with your speed as well as hill work (you got this).

It comes with experience and not something you have to train for at this point.

When you do add speed or fartleks to your training I advice you not work on distance that day. Work on speed or distance, not both at one time.

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    For the last 12 weeks I have been following Runner's World's "Run Less, Run Faster" program. I liked it - only three runs per week and they were each very different from each other. It isn't easy, but it shouldn't be if you want to get better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You'll get quicker at 5ks if you run farther than 5k on a regular basis.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm off to google fartleks (I've heard the term, but not really sure what they are) and speed work and that plan @Will_Run_for_Food mentioned.

@rdmercado speaking from my beginner's experience: get off the treadmill, you might have to step back a little in your pace and/or distance as you adapt from not having the belt helping to propel you, but will be fun.. Running outside is much better than the treadmill even though I avoided it for weeks (too self conscious). Have fun on your 5k!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    fartlek's! woohoo! My enemy that makes me faster! There are many "plans" out there. Speed comes from "speed training" hills, intervals, sprints, fartlek's ect. Endurance is built with all of those plus tempo's, stamina runs and increased mileage at a rate of no more than 10% per week (only when you can comfortably handle your current load for a week or two). For examply if you run 10 miles a week.,Next week it will go up to 11. I don't do runs within 2 days of a hard run workout or a long work out. Take the time in between to bike and or body weight training. But most of all DO NOT STRESS IT! Running is fun, don't make it a chore :)
    At her current running level, the greatest speed improvement is going to come from more miles at an easy pace and building up her cardiovascular system. Adding speed work too early is a good way to increase your risk of an injury.

Great guidance here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    cool, thanks @The_Enginerd
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the hell out of running and have found a couple things to improve performance:
    1. Intervals - I use 30-20-10's (30 seconds at slow pace, 20 at moderate, 10 flat out) and do as many sets as I can
    2. Timed run - shooting for 5 miles in 30 minutes (at my age, I think that's fine)
    3. Long, steady run - somewhere in the 7-9 mile range, depending on weather, how I'm feeling, etc.

I those events every other day and things seem to be improving.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    fartlek's! woohoo! My enemy that makes me faster! There are many "plans" out there. Speed comes from "speed training" hills, intervals, sprints, fartlek's ect.

Given what the originator described speed is going to come first from increasing the distance at a steady pace. Speed work is more likely to lead to injury in the absence of an aerobic base.

Essentially until someone can run for at least an hour, at least three times per week I'd steer clear of speed work.