I'm new today. Any other low carb followers out there?

Options
Hi there! I just joined this website today and am looking forward to using this site to record my food and exercise data, as well as getting some tricks and tips from other participants!

Replies

• Bodhizephyr
    Options
    I did Low carb via Tim Ferris 4 hour body for 4 weeks. I didn't get the results that were estimated. I lost 3lb in the 1st week, 2lb in the second then fluctuated up and down by 1lb for the next 2 weeks. I also found that after 4 weeks I was in a low mood. Carbs are good for mental health. It wasn't for me. I was on it for a quick fix but now I've come off it and I'm doing it through this site I'm consistently losing 1lb a week now without any real hassle, just being careful about treats. I feel much better.

I would always advise against cutting out a major food group as your body does require all those things. An unbalanced diet is a risk factor in colo-rectal cancers, especially those low in carbs and fibre.
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I was trying low carb for a long time but the weight eventually came back. I've since had LAP-BAND surgery and now my diet is more of what I can tolerate, with a focus on proteins (and obviously cutting out unhealthy carbs).
  • LiciaHarry
    LiciaHarry Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of low-carbers here who you can friend, and if you're interested in Paleo nutrition I do know there is a forum community for them (wish I was more help).

Low carb only really works if you drop grains and keep your (good) fat intake high.

Welcome to MFP!

Friend me if you'd like, I'm not very chatty most of the time though.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Please do yourself a favor and never get on a low carb diet ever again. 50% of your diet is supposed to be from carbs. This is where you get your energy, vitamins, and nutrients from. You can not burn fat with out the use of carbs. If you don't have enough carbs your body has to convert protein to carbs for energy which puts a huge strain on your kidneys. Pretty much all you were burning was muscle.

You need to eat 100% whole grain bread, you want to buy things that are high in fiber and whole grains, you want to eat vegetables and fruits. If you are still a believer in the carb thing.... you need to eat carbs earlier in the day and as the day progresses taper off. The earlier you have time to burn them off, and use them as energy. The later the night progresses you start to eat more protein. Do not eat carbs from sweets, sugars, soda's etc... those are the carbs you want to stay away from. The only healthy sugar you can eat is honey.....
  • chiwalker
    chiwalker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments! Actually, I was put on the Atkins plan by my doc a couple of months ago, and am having some positive results. I was wondering if there were other Atkins followers out there, but not sure if I could use the name "Atkins" on this site.

Don't worry, I eat "clean" with whole foods and avoid the refined sugars, and flours. No processed foods or caffeine, no diet foods. Lots of veggies, limited fruits, good fats only, protein at every meal. My grain allergies help me to keep grains to a minimum.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few Atkins and Paleo followers here. You might search through the forums for specific threads. Atkins sounds like a good plan for you, especially if you have a grain allergy. You and your doctor know what is best for you, so keep doing what you're doing! I've seen threads here for people who can't eat grains, as well, so you might search for them, too. You should be able to find lots of support here.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments! Actually, I was put on the Atkins plan by my doc a couple of months ago, and am having some positive results. I was wondering if there were other Atkins followers out there, but not sure if I could use the name "Atkins" on this site.

Don't worry, I eat "clean" with whole foods and avoid the refined sugars, and flours. No processed foods or caffeine, no diet foods. Lots of veggies, limited fruits, good fats only, protein at every meal. My grain allergies help me to keep grains to a minimum.

Hi! I do Atkins! You can friend me! This site is geared toward calorie-counting, but you can adjust your diary to show carbs and fiber. You'll have to just ignore all the low-carb nay-sayers. They are full of mis-information, and are actually quite negative. The only foods I've competely cut out are processed foods and refined carbs. My carbs come mainly from veggies. I've only had positive results with Atkins. Down 46.5 lbs as of this morning. No more high blood pressure, no more acid reflux, I'm sleeping like a baby! Welcome to MFP!
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Hi, I'm an Atkinser. I also have my doctor behind me with it. I feel great and my diabetes is more controlled than it has ever been!
    I love this way of life. :happy:
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I too am a low-carber. Have been since April 1st because of candida overgrowth. But I love this WOE. Grains are not good for you anyway.

I follow Primal/Paleo/Atkins. Eat only whole, clean foods. But I do eat dairy. Can't live without my cheese. :) And you don't "need" grains. You can get all your nutrition from proteins, fats, fruits and veggies. Just make sure you're eating enough fats. Don't be afraid!!

Friend me if you'd like. There's a bunch of us low-carbers out here. Here's some thread links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/244384-no-grain-no-pain
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/273854-no-grain-no-pain-what-your-meals-look-like
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/267812-palelo-support-group