Too much calories for breakfast?

Options
Hi!!
I had 510 calories for breakfast, 2 pieces of sourdough bread i think with natural peanut butter that you squeeze from machines in whole foods and i put half table spoon of honey on each. Did I ruin my diet???? I'm so sad I always ruin it with eating wrong. I also had a banana so its 90 calories more!!!!

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    But there's still more hours in your day, how could you have ruined anything? Are you weighing and logging?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    One meal won't ruin anything. Just make sure to make your calories fit your goals. Preplanning helps with this. Also make sure you are weighing your food to ensure accurate counting results.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    There's no wrong way to eat. If you like a high calorie breakfast and it keeps you full for a long time then great. Without knowing what your stats/meal requirements are there's not much anyone can say to help. If you eat a large amount of food for breakfast and you intend to stay within your goals for the day you may need to cut some out of lunch and dinner. Do you know how much peanut butter you used? make sure to weigh high calorie additions like PB to ensure accuracy. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Consistency is key. One day won't ever "ruin your diet" try thinking about it as a lifestyle change instead of a temporary period of negativity you just have to get through. This is a process and should be an enjoyable one. Best of luck!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Getting over the idea that you "ruin" a diet based on what you eat at one meal or even a day is much more important than how many calories you eat for breakfast.

Even if 510 calories at breakfast is hard to fit in your day or isn't filling enough based on food choices, you haven't ruined anything -- you've learned something!

Also, there's no right amount of calories to eat at a meal or right foods to eat. It depends on what works for you. Maybe just log for a while, try to hit your goal but don't stress about it, and then after a few days or a week look over your logs and figure out some easy adjustments to hit the calories or make it easier.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    You can't "ruin" a diet in a day or a meal. It takes weeks upon weeks of consistently screwing up to do any real damage to your weight loss. I think you have a motivation problem. It's very easy to have a big meal and say "Oh darn I ruined it, better give up logging for the rest of the day" Don't fall into that hole. It's extremely hard to get back out. You didn't ruin anything. Keep pushing forward. You can correct this by dinnertime. This is not a big deal. Just keep swimming;)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Options
    1) take a walk to make room for more
    2) have a lighter lunch or dinner
    3) pre-log from now on so you can decide what's worth it before you do the damage
    4) switch to an English muffin next time

• linsitidswell
    linsitidswell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd just go for a walk to earn back my calories.
  • kimikola22
    kimikola22 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I eat around 700 calories for breakfast everyday and lose weight. It is my biggest meal of the day and it is filled with nutrient dense foods. Yours sounds fine but I don't know what daily goal is so if it is 500 calories than yes you ruined it but if it is something like 1200-1500 than you should be fine. Focus on nutrient dense food, not how many calories you are consuming.
    Calories are important but you are only hurting yourself if you are focusing heavily on them because that kind of focus causes stress and stress causes weight gain as well as makes it difficuly (biologically) for your body to lose weight.
    Take a nice relaxing walk and make the appropriate adjustments to your food and be happy =)
    Good luck!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    kimikola22 wrote: »
    I eat around 700 calories for breakfast everyday and lose weight. It is my biggest meal of the day and it is filled with nutrient dense foods. Yours sounds fine but I don't know what daily goal is so if it is 500 calories than yes you ruined it but if it is something like 1200-1500 than you should be fine. Focus on nutrient dense food, not how many calories you are consuming.
    Calories are important but you are only hurting yourself if you are focusing heavily on them because that kind of focus causes stress and stress causes weight gain as well as makes it difficuly (biologically) for your body to lose weight.
    Take a nice relaxing walk and make the appropriate adjustments to your food and be happy =)
    Good luck!

1. Calories are the only thing that is important when it comes to weight loss.
    2. Stress does not cause weight gain, excess calories cause weight gain.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    That seems like a good hearty breakfast that will set you up for the day. It certainly doesn't seem excessive. If it's used up too many calories and you have to go over your goal for the day, it's no biggie. That happens. Draw a line under it and move on. And chill out. Fat loss is a long game, one meal cannot "ruin it" any more than stopping to tie your laces can ruin a full-day hike.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You haven't 'ruined' your diet - you've simply had a breakfast you enjoy.
    A solution to that would be to have a smaller lunch or dinner (By smaller - I mean a little less calories) or cut back on any snacks you had planned for the day. Technically, you could eat ALL your allotted calories in one meal if you chose to - it's no biggie! :) The important thing is, you don't deprive for the remainder of the day. Balance is KEY!
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's no big deal. You either adjust your other meals, or you exercise a bit more, or just accept it was a little mistake and carry on as normal the next day. "ruining" your diet takes constantly failing to eat to a calorie deficit / not exercise, one slip up does not a diet ruin.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My breakfast when cutting last year hovered around 800 kcals. Point? The numbers vary.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I know everyone's calorie needs are different based on their stats and goals but I had close to 850 cals for my breakfast this morning. It was quite similar to yours.

2 slices of homemade wheaten bread = 350 cals
    30g Whole Earth crunchy organic peanut butter = 180 cals
    2 scoops of Bulk Powders - Pure Whey Protein Isolate 90 = 230 cals
    15g of Linwood - Milled Organic Flaxseed = 80 cals
    =840 cals

My day certainly isn't ruined. Breakfast is usually always my highest cal/carb meal of the day as I workout in the morning but I still have plenty of cals left for lunch and dinner. Make sure you use the fitness calculators and online tools to determine a realistic and sustainable approach for long term weight loss.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That breakfast sounds great. I eat a similar sized breakfast every morning, because that's when I'm hungriest and I often can't eat lunch until 6-7 hours later.

It's your consumption as a whole that matters.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What Donners185 said!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    kimikola22 wrote: »
    Good luck!

1. Calories are the only thing that is important when it comes to weight loss.
    2. Stress does not cause weight gain, excess calories cause weight gain.

A news article quoted a study done, stating that stress does indeed play a part in weight gain. Sorry, I have no proof or article to quote, as I watched it on the evening news last night.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My breakfast calories range from 5 (coffee) to 1000. It has not affected my weight loss. What really matters is your average overall calories over time, even a whole day of high calories may not make as big of a dent as you imagine if you are otherwise consistent.

Edit: @JustMissTracy as for stress, it does affect weight by either causing you to eat more (extra calories) or by causing you to retain water (which is why weight loss is perceived to be harder, but it's not a real gain/plateau). It does all come to calories in the end, but you are entirely and totally correct to state that stress management is important for smoother sailing while dieting, and for overall health as well. Adding unnecessary food and calorie related stress trying to be perfect is pointless at best and harmful at worst.