Fit 4 Less (Canada)

Options
The reviews are pretty mixed - please share your experience :smile:

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I go to a Fit4Less because I won a free membership and it's pretty okay. Not great, not the worst.

The one I go to has one squat rack (but no safety bars which is a PIA), enough benches and space to deadlift. However, chalk is "banned" (but people still sneak it in).

There is a lunk alarm which is also super annoying, but the one at my location seems to be broken and they've never fixed it.

There are a ton of cardio machines if that's your thing. A bunch always seem to be broken but they are fixed quickly enough.

My biggest complaint is that people don't pick their stuff up and leave weights and plates laying around everywhere. It can get pretty bad on weekends and during unstaffed hours.

But, I will say, it's got everything I need! If the location is convenient for you, you can't beat the price.

ETA: if you're going there to lift, check out the specific location you are interested in before committing. I have heard that many don't have squat racks.
  • biggyk87
    biggyk87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have one right by me I was thinking of joining for the winter. Interested in hearing more reviews. :)
  • 71lmf
    71lmf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks @kathrynjean_ :smile:
    I've heard similar reviews from others.
    I'm just starting out - never joined a gym before so I don't even know what to look for. Sounds like it might suit my needs for now.
  • stevepaul0404
    stevepaul0404 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been going to one since July of last year. Squat rack, power rack, lots of benches, dumbbells up to 125 pounds, and everything else you need for a good workout. We go at 5:30 am and there is usually between 20 and 30 people working out so not crowded. For the price, can't beat it.

There was a Goodlife for women only here in town that recently closed so they have taken a portion of the gym and made it into a studio for Virtual Classes as well. My wife has done some of the yoga ones and enjoyed them.

We took the black card option for $20 a month and I probably will change it as we don't use any of the added things like tanning, massage chairs, etc.
  • 71lmf
    71lmf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    lol @crazyravr - good idea - I would feel the same way - not interested in going when it's really busy

thanks @stevepaul0404 - I'm not interested in the massage chairs or tanning either :)
  • stevepaul0404
    stevepaul0404 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    71lmf wrote: »
    thanks @stevepaul0404 - I'm not interested in the massage chairs or tanning either :)

If that is the case then just go for the cheaper $10 a month membership. I will probably switch over to that if I can remember one morning.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    As a melanoma survivor I have a hard time supporting anywhere that has tanning booths. Tanning booths are known to cause skin cancer.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I go to a Fit4Less because I won a free membership and it's pretty okay. Not great, not the worst.

The one I go to has one squat rack (but no safety bars which is a PIA), enough benches and space to deadlift. However, chalk is "banned" (but people still sneak it in).

There is a lunk alarm which is also super annoying, but the one at my location seems to be broken and they've never fixed it.

There are a ton of cardio machines if that's your thing. A bunch always seem to be broken but they are fixed quickly enough.

My biggest complaint is that people don't pick their stuff up and leave weights and plates laying around everywhere. It can get pretty bad on weekends and during unstaffed hours.

But, I will say, it's got everything I need! If the location is convenient for you, you can't beat the price.

ETA: if you're going there to lift, check out the specific location you are interested in before committing. I have heard that many don't have squat racks.

A squat rack with no safety bars?!?!?
  • kathrynjean_
    Options

Yeah, it's the worst @singingflutelady :(

I might be using the wrong terminology, but it looks like this: http://upbeateats.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/legend-3138-squat-rack.jpg

The bars on the side aren't adjustable at all, so I have to step outside of it in order to go low enough.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's the worst @singingflutelady :(

I might be using the wrong terminology, but it looks like this: http://upbeateats.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/legend-3138-squat-rack.jpg

The bars on the side aren't adjustable at all, so I have to step outside of it in order to go low enough.

I couldn't deal with non adjustable safety bars. I squat lower than the recommended placement of the bars at my gym but thankfully I can lower them. Plus there are so many other exercises that require different heights of bars!
  • kathrynjean_
    Options
    I completely agree. I think there will come a time when I need the safety bars in order to continue, but I'm not quite at that point yet. I think I can eek out a bit more from the cheapy membership!
  • sterno44
    sterno44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been going to a fit4less for the last couple months and its great. All brand new equipment and they have four power cage's like this:

PLATE%20LOADED%20Max%20Rack%C2%AE%20914x382_0.jpg

For the money, it can't be beat.