switching diet coke for water

Options
On the 1st of the month, I decided from now on to drink bottled water instead of Diet Coke. Mind you I have drank Diet Coke probably every day for the last 5 years. Hardly ever drank water at all. But I just decided as I get older (46) I should try to just drink water so I did. I don't understand it, but I have gone from 143lbs (which I have been for the last 8-10 years) to 149lbs! What the heck?? I gained 6 pounds in less than a month! What am I doing wrong? 6 lbs in 19 days! My pants are too tight to the point Im afraid they might split if I sit down in public. Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything else and nothing has changed? Usually things like this happen because swaps can make us eat more of other types of foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have anything to do with the water...
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Weight gain isn't from drinking water. Maybe, just maybe, your body is retaining more water because it had to retain what it could when you mostly drank soft drinks. Give it more time, let your body get use to having what it wants in greater amounts, water. Most likely you are bloated, and 6 lbs could easily be water weight. But switching to water is great. Don't stop.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It doesn't have anything to do with the water...
    Are you logging everything else and nothing has changed? Usually things like this happen because swaps can make us eat more of other types of foods.

Agreed. A 0 calorie drink will have no impact on weight. Not enough sodium in there, either. Do you use a food scale and log all your food?

If you like diet coke, why give it up? Just drink both coke and water. There is no science that supports that diet coke is bad for you.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You might be semi-consciously eating more to satisfy a craving that diet coke used to handle for you. Just drink diet coke. and water.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Weight gain isn't from drinking water. Maybe, just maybe, your body is retaining more water because it had to retain what it could when you mostly drank soft drinks. Give it more time, let your body get use to having what it wants in greater amounts, water. Most likely you are bloated, and 6 lbs could easily be water weight. But switching to water is great. Don't stop.

Diet coke is already like 97-98% water.. the OP's body wasn't under some type of drought advisory when s/he was drinking diet coke.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

6 pounds in 19 days is quite a bit to gain. Have you eaten high sodium foods during this time?
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? This may be at least part of the issue.
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Caffeine suppresses appetite a bit, you might have a small increase in food intake to make up for that lost flavor and caffeine