Dessert help!

Options
kermiehiho
kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
I'm teaching Meal Management this school year, and the public school system has implemented a wellness policy. I was planning to do a unit on healthy substitutions, but so far all I've got that falls within the guidelines are my applesauce oat muffins. I was thinking about doing something like a fruit cake, pumpkin SOMETHING (like for Thanksgiving), or some kind of dessert with beans hidden in them, but the guidelines are kind of strict:
- no more than 200 calories per serving (slice of pie, piece of cake, one cupcake, for example)
- no more than 8 grams of total fat per serving
- no more than 2 grams of saturated fat per serving
- no trans fat
- no more than 200 mg of sodium per serving
- no more than 8 grams of sugar per serving.
- if possible, 2 or more grams of dietary fiber per serving.
Generally, the sugar or fat content is the challenge. That being said, I was wondering if anyone on here could share any simple (something high school kids could make and clean up in an 80 minute period) dessert recipes that fall within these guidelines.

Replies

• knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    How about something like a chocolate zuchini bread? There are recipes for all kinds of pumpkin dips - pair with fruits, low fat graham crackers, etc.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/chocolate-chip-clouds.html
    http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/desserts/dessertrecipes/pumpkinpudding2.htm
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try subsituting Splenda for regular sugar. They have a sugar/splenda mix for baking so that may help with sugar content. If a recipe calls for oil subsitute plain applesause instead. Dont have many recipes not much of a cook but just things i remember from WW days.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I made lemon bars that were awesome and fit within these guidelines.

http://www.laaloosh.com/2009/01/20/weight-watchers-lemon-bars-recipe/

My stats came to:
    Calories: 100/serving
    Carbs: 5
    Fat: 4
    Protein: 1
    Sodium: 42
    Sugar: 3
    I don't know about trans or sat fat, tho. But they sure were yummy, and way easy.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I've got a great recipe!!! I just made it for the first time, and my kids absolutely LOVED it! I was inspired by something I read on here.

Super simple!

1 reduced fat keebler graham pie crust
    1 pack of Jell-O cheesecake flavor sugar free fat free pudding mix
    1 c. cold skim milk
    1/2 an 8 oz. tub of fat free cool whip, thawed

Pour milk into bowl and add pudding mix. Beat 2 minutes. Gently fold in cool whip. Pour into pie crust, cover, and put in fridge. You can freeze if you like it a little firmer, but I just kept in fridge.

8 servings.

Calories: 141
    Fat: 4
    Saturated Fat: 1
    Cholesterol: 1
    Sodium: 163
    Fiber: 1
    Sugars: 8
    Protein: 2
    Calcium: 4%
    Iron: 2%

You could further reduce sugars by using half sugar free and half fat free cool whip. I don't know why they don't make a sugar free AND fat free variety. That would add a little bit on the fat, and reduce a little bit on the sugars. It's really good! Not quite enough fiber, but for all that, you could probably add a couple tsp of benefiber with the pudding mix. lol

Shoot. I just noticed that it has trans fat. But you could make your own graham crust and use smart balance instead of the ready crust. I'm pretty sure that's where the trans fat is coming from. *sigh*
  • kermiehiho
    Options

I just tried the banana ice cream thing yesterday; it was awesome. :D
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner!!! *duh*

Meringue cookies!!

2 egg whites
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp cream of tartar
    1/3 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    6 oz. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat whites, salt, and cream of tartar until peaks form. Slowly add sugar a little at a time while beating constantly. Add vanilla. Beat until it has a silky appearance.

Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Place in a 350 oven, turn oven off, and leave overnight.

Makes 24 cookies

Calories: 47
    Fat: 2
    Saturated: 1
    Trans: 0
    Cholesterol: 0
    Sodium: 30
    Carbs: 7
    Sugars: 7

The chocolate chips become a little surprise inside of a crunchy outside. :) They're delicious!
  • ehilgeman
    ehilgeman Posts: 45
    Options
    This is one I make all the time for parties, holidays, etc. It's probably on the line for your guidelines, but give it a shot. You may be able to cut down quantities and get there.
    Chocolate Toffee Mousse: http://ericastable.blogspot.com/2007/11/chocolate-toffee-mousse.html
  • kermiehiho
    Options
    I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner!!! *duh*

Meringue cookies!!

2 egg whites
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp cream of tartar
    1/3 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    6 oz. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat whites, salt, and cream of tartar until peaks form. Slowly add sugar a little at a time while beating constantly. Add vanilla. Beat until it has a silky appearance.

Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Place in a 350 oven, turn oven off, and leave overnight.

Makes 24 cookies

Calories: 47
    Fat: 2
    Saturated: 1
    Trans: 0
    Cholesterol: 0
    Sodium: 30
    Carbs: 7
    Sugars: 7

The chocolate chips become a little surprise inside of a crunchy outside. :) They're delicious!

That does sound good... But, I can't leave it in the oven overnight. I have five other classes...>v<
  • bexxw
    bexxw Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    check out the cooking light website! they usually have great ideas
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Log on to cooking light.com and look at November 2005 for maple and date bars. They are chewy and sweet and my family loves them.

Maple and Date Bars
    Cooking Light, Nov 2005
  • kermiehiho
    Options
    Log on to cooking light.com and look at November 2005 for maple and date bars. They are chewy and sweet and my family loves them.

Maple and Date Bars
    Cooking Light, Nov 2005
    Oohh, those do look good...but the saturated fat is at 2.3 grams, and I have to stay below 2 grams...:cry:
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Maple and Date Bars
    Cooking Light, Nov 2005
    Oohh, those do look good...but the saturated fat is at 2.3 grams, and I have to stay below 2 grams...:cry:
    would it help fit in guidelines to make servings a bit smaller?
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    crepes with fresh fruit and sugar free jello filling.
    the fat my be too high, but check and you might be able to add whip cream too.
  • onlyrobey1
    onlyrobey1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Check out Hungrygirl.com lots of great idea's there!
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    Fruit is the original desert.
    Have them slice it (or not) with a sprinkle of honey or cream (whole!)
    They'll LOVE it. My 4 kids' favorite is strawberry and pineapple (with a splash of cream). No need to add sugar. Can add some nuts (slivered almonds) for crunch.
    Easy, real, delicious and appears to be healthy, compared to Ice cream, cakes, muffins, bars......
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I buy angel food cake mix and bake it in cup cakes, easier to judge serving size.
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact values of every thing here, but it can't be much! I saw this recipe a while ago.

Nutella Banana Wontons

1 wonton wrapper - 20 calories
    1 teaspoon Nutella - 33 calories
    1 slice banana - 7 calories (I am guessing, but it can't be more lol)

1 Nutella/Banana Wonton - 60 calories & a smile

You will need:

Wonton Wrappers
    Nutella
    Sliced Bananas
    1 Egg, beaten
    PAM Spray

Directions:

* Place Wonton wrapper on a flat surface
    * Add one teaspoon of heaven, I mean Nutella in the middle
    * Lick spoon (don't act like you are not going to lick the spoon
    * Place the banana slice on top

* Dip finger in beaten eggs and glaze the edges of the wonton
    * bring all for corners to the middle and press all sides to make it look like...I don't know, make it look like something

* Spray the bottom of a cookie sheet and place wontons on sheet
    * Spray the top of the wontons just a little so that they crisp up when they cook
    * Place in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the wonton is brown and crispy looking
    * Remove Wontons and cry a little out of happiness
  • kermiehiho
    Options
    I don't know the exact values of every thing here, but it can't be much! I saw this recipe a while ago.

Nutella Banana Wontons

1 wonton wrapper - 20 calories
    1 teaspoon Nutella - 33 calories
    1 slice banana - 7 calories (I am guessing, but it can't be more lol)

1 Nutella/Banana Wonton - 60 calories & a smile

You will need:

Wonton Wrappers
    Nutella
    Sliced Bananas
    1 Egg, beaten
    PAM Spray

Directions:

* Place Wonton wrapper on a flat surface
    * Add one teaspoon of heaven, I mean Nutella in the middle
    * Lick spoon (don't act like you are not going to lick the spoon
    * Place the banana slice on top

* Dip finger in beaten eggs and glaze the edges of the wonton
    * bring all for corners to the middle and press all sides to make it look like...I don't know, make it look like something

* Spray the bottom of a cookie sheet and place wontons on sheet
    * Spray the top of the wontons just a little so that they crisp up when they cook
    * Place in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the wonton is brown and crispy looking
    * Remove Wontons and cry a little out of happiness
    Oooh, sounds like a winner. Seems to be within the caloric, fat, and sugar restrictions. Now to pray that none of my kids are allergic to nuts or milk... :wink: Thanks!