Activity calories earned back... to eat or not to eat? Help!

Options
I have a lot of weight that I need to lose. Over 100 pounds. I have always wondered about the exercise calories. Do we eat those or leave them alone? Help!!

Replies

• tamyena
    tamyena Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great question!! I am confused on that one, too!! I am going to see a Nutritionist today, so hopefully I will find out more information and pass it on.
  • JayLe81
    JayLe81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Please do! I am ready to do this... the right way!! Thank you for responding!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's designed for you to eat back the calories you burned through exercise. Some people find that the exercise database overestimates the number of calories burnt, so they eat back just a portion of the calories to guard against this (like 50-75%). Others, like myself, find that their method of calorie estimation for exercise burn is accurate enough that they can eat back 100% of the calories and still lose/maintain as expected.

Your MFP calorie goal already puts you at a deficit *before* any exercise is done (assuming you set up your account correctly), so it's important to fuel your activity -- especially if you are burning a lot through exercise or your calorie goal is very low.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Most people on here eat back 25-50% of added exercise calories. That way, you are properly fueling your work outs, but not over-estimating them and removing your deficit.

MFP uses NEAT formula. Non-exercise activity thermogenesis. So the number it gives you is the calories you would need to eat to lose weight if all you did was go about your day. It accounts for your BMR, which is the calories used to run your organs and whatnot, and your daily activities, like walking around your office, folding laundry, carrying in the groceries. What it does NOT account for is purposeful exercise. That's why you have to add that manually. o you add the exercise, which, for example, burned you an extra 200 calories, and MFP expects you to eat 200 extra calories to make up the difference.

And that's where the problem lies. See MFP and most everyone else overestimates calorie burns during exercise. So it might tell you you burned 500 calories just now on the treadmill, but realistically, you probably burned closer to 200-300. If that. So it's better to start by eating back "some" of your added exercise calories so you are not eating too much and wiping out the deficit you're trying to achieve. You can start with 50%, eat that for a while, and check "Does this continue to get me the results I'm anticipating?" OR "has this slowed down my loss or eliminated it altogether?" then you can reassess how much of the added calories you eat. Some people can happily eat them all and lose weight fine, other people have to limit how many of them they eat to maintain their projected weekly loss. It's very individual. You'll have to experiment a little.
  • JayLe81
    Options
    Thank y'all! I use a Fitbit to help track but even then I know the calorie burn isn't 100% accurate. I think I will eat back 50% of the calories earned back and see how that works for a few weeks!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited September 2016
    Options
    JayLe81 wrote: »
    Thank y'all! I use a Fitbit to help track but even then I know the calorie burn isn't 100% accurate. I think I will eat back 50% of the calories earned back and see how that works for a few weeks!

You can make your fitbit calorie burn a little more accurate by doing the following:

1.Wear it on your non-dominant hand, but tell the app you are wearing it on your dominant hand (reduces regular movements counted as steps)
    2. Calculate and enter your gait length for both running and walking (gets a more accurate step count and distance reading)
    3. Tell the app you are one inch shorter than you really are. (Shorter bodies use less fuel for the same movement as taller bodies, so just an inch can make an overly high calorie burn a little closer to reality)

ETA: Don't forget also that going UP is also an option. If 50% is making you lose weight too fast, eat more than 50%. Weight loss is not a race, first one to the goal is not necessarily the healthiest person.
  • JayLe81
    Options

You can make your fitbit calorie burn a little more accurate by doing the following:

1.Wear it on your non-dominant hand, but tell the app you are wearing it on your dominant hand (reduces regular movements counted as steps)
    2. Calculate and enter your gait length for both running and walking (gets a more accurate step count and distance reading)
    3. Tell the app you are one inch shorter than you really are. (Shorter bodies use less fuel for the same movement as taller bodies, so just an inch can make an overly high calorie burn a little closer to reality)

ETA: Don't forget also that going UP is also an option. If 50% is making you lose weight too fast, eat more than 50%. Weight loss is not a race, first one to the goal is not necessarily the healthiest person.

How do I calculate gait length?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Yes^

Before long you will get a good feel for how well your FitBit does for you.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited September 2016
    Options

How do I calculate gait length?

You go to a track at your local gym, or the high school after school is out, walk a mile/ half mile/500 feet, whatever measurement you can (bigger the better), count exactly how many steps it was, and divide to see the AVG length of each step. If you can't get to a track for whatever reason, you can use a tape measure on your sidewalk and some chalk and simply mark out 20-40 feet and walk that, counting your steps, then divide length by # of steps to determine average length of each step. You should do the same for both running gait length and walking gait length. It's much easier than it sounds.

ETA: The math is easier (if you're using standard instead of metric) if you convert to inches FIRST, before dividing.
  • JayLe81
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You've earned them. Eat 1/2 back to account for inaccuracies
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% of the calories I get from my Fitbit One, which is less generous than MFP. I don't eat back a specific percentage of those - when I have big burns I stop eating when I'm full which usually leaves a few hundred calories on the table.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    If you have mire than 100 lbs to lose there's another question to ask yourself .."am I hungry? "

Ar 270 lbs I had no problem eating 1500 calories a day. I was only getting 3000 steps or so a day, and I wasn't weighing my food, so three things were coinciding to keep my weight loss at my goal of 1 lb/week. 1. I was probably eating more than I thought. 2. I wasn't getting increased hunger signals from activity 3. I had lots of fat to metabolize

I had to give up 1500 cal/day last January, about when I hit 200 lbs. My hunger significantly increased. By that point, I was consistently getting 10k steps a day and weighing everything.

I'm down to 170 and up to 14k steps/day. I still want to lose another 5, maybe 10 lbs, but it's very hard for me to eat less than 1850 now. I just get too hungry.

You probably have a lot of room for error right now. Do not attempt to lose more than 2 lbs/week.Get a kitchen scale sooner rather than later... your waistline will thank you.... and feel free to eat your exercise calories back, or at least a portion of them, with an eye on the bathroom scale to monitor your progresses.

P.S. Don't adjust based on day to day weight fluctuations, look for what happens over an entire month.
  • JayLe81
    Options
    Thank y'all so much! You're all inspiring me. If anyone would like to connect on here.. I'd be appreciative. I posted my exercise from today!! phyxfd0l9lhd.jpg